Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electrical question specific to our sightseer 33 C

We bought our new-to-us 2013 sightseer in December. We are still determining if the issues we find are "problems" or "features".

Specifically, our wall sconce lights in the (slide out) bedroom do not work unless we are on shore power. All other lights in the room work if we are on battery, but the sconces do not.

My husband has reviewed the wiring diagrams and it is unclear to him whether or not they should work on battery.

Can anyone give us an answer?
threadbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Check the bulbs?

If you pull a bulb out and check the voltage rating on it that will give you a clue.
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:40 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadbear View Post
We bought our new-to-us 2013 sightseer in December. We are still determining if the issues we find are "problems" or "features".

Specifically, our wall sconce lights in the (slide out) bedroom do not work unless we are on shore power. All other lights in the room work if we are on battery, but the sconces do not.

My husband has reviewed the wiring diagrams and it is unclear to him whether or not they should work on battery.

My Sunova 33C is the same as the Sightseer 33C and they didn't make many changes between mine in 2010 and the 2013 models. I have mine in the driveway so I'll go out and check it out. Back in a bit!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Answer

Quote:

Just tried it. Yes, the wall sconces in the bedroom slideout do light up when on battery power. All interior lights in the MH work on battery power. Good luck!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

That is extremely helpful!!!! Thank you!
Old 07-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Just tried it. Yes, the wall sconces in the bedroom slideout do light up when on battery power. All interior lights in the MH work on battery power. Good luck!
Our 2014 Itasca Sunova 33C also work on 12 volt only, just tried them.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My husband is very thankful for your answers. We clearly have a wiring issue somewhere.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:

I would call Winnebago customer Suport and give them your vin#.
A coach as new as yours has not likely been altered. They may be aware of it and offer a fix. Also they have been very helpful to me with electrical issues.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Hey
There is usually a metal junction box under the slide that may have a loose ground. When you hook to shore power it's getting the ground from the inverter and not the coach batteries.

To quickly verify this while not hooked to shore power remove the light fixture from the wall and check to see if you have 12v dc at one of the two wires. If so run a temp ground wire to the other wire. If the light powers you need to find the loose ground.

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Our Sunova has those lights on each side of the bed. I doubt this is the same problem as yours but we've had issues with the switches themselves. The light rarely comes on with one push of the button. Will sometimes have to click the button 3 or 4 times before the light comes on.

I know you said that they work with shore power but i'm wondering if maybe you got lucky and they just happened to come on with one click while plugged in. Might be a chance they act up intermittently whether plugged in or not.

Looks like an easy fix, i just tend to forget about it until the next time we're up in the woods. Thanks for reminding me with this thread,, i'm putting it on my tomorrow's to do list.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

On my 13 the lamps are 12V. When looking for ground problem there are a bunch of connectors "hidden under the bed platform at the head of the bed. You will have to remove a bunch of screws to get to that area.

I cut the panel so it is now hidden storage and is where I have installed our safe. You have to pull the mattress back and/or off to get to it but.....
Wsufans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

When you find out, let us know

threadbare,
When you find out what the problem is would you please let us know?

frank
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Just wanted to give an update to our bedroom light issue. Just got back from Forest City (for other issues) and it was a loose ground wire on a coach battery post. Let there be light! Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry.

Tags
electrical, sightseer