RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #1

Energy Plan

Well I am thinking about upgrading energy systems in my 2005 Journey. I have read many threads some of which were quite old so I thought I would post this. I would like to know what you think is the best set up and components. We plan to boondock much more this year and want to be prepared. I currently have the stock set up 3ea 12 volt batteries, a Dimension Inverter, and small solar panel. I have already installed a Trick - L- Start.
I am thinking about the following:
4ea Trojan T105s 6 V batteries
A Xantex Prosine 2.0 Inverter
Onan Wireless Energy Command for gen set ( Just now researching this)
LED lights throughout interior of coach

I would like to know how others that boondock frequently think makes a reliable and efficient setup. I have not yet thought about additional solar but would like to learn what others are using. When it comes down to it I probably won't spring for all of this at once. Forget probably I just won't, but I would like to have a plan that I can execute over the next couple of years.

I would really appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do a lot of dry camping and have stock settup same as you.
I replaced the 3 12v with 4 6v T125 Trojans.... they have more amphrs in the same size as T105's. I also bought the water fill kit for wet cell bat and that makes it clean and easy.... but a little pricey at $140 for 4 bat's. Costco here in AZ and CA has 6v bat for $70 ea and they look exactly like my Trojans.... what a great price!

I am happy with the Dimensions 2Kw inverter... it actually has less battery drain at low power levels than the Prosine. If your Dim is working fine, I would save my money. I have lots of electronics and only issue I have with modified sinewave is the rechargeable flashlights.....I have to unplug them when running on the inverter.

I also use a little Honda 650 to keep the bat charged when dry camping for more than 2 days. It will run for 4-6 hrs on 0.5 gal of gas so it is a lot more cost effective for charging batteries than running my Onan 7kw genny. If it's hot and I have to run the A/C, then battery charging is not an issue.

Bill

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #3

Great information . Did you have to make any modifications to fit the 6v batteries safely? I think I will stick with the Dimensions Inverter although I have read several posts that indicate batteries being overcharged. I hate to invest in new 6volt batteries and overcharge them. Is it possible to monitor the inverter to make sure it is working properly? May be a difficult questions to answer but I have to ask. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with me.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Making room for 4 coach batties ..... mine is a gasser, so I have only one engine battery and I had to relocate it about 2 ft away. All the cables were long enough, so it was easy to move. Then the 4 Trojans just dropped in using the same brackets.

Regarding the overcharging.....
The 2 kw Dimensions of our vintage 04 & 05 are designed to do an equalize charge every 5 power cycles. Later units have a software change that does the equalize charge every 10 cycles. I may be off on the cycle count but the newer units do it half as often. This process does intentionally over charge the bat's for 6-8 hrs at about 15 v. it's a trade-off, because it does keep the bat's de-sulfated, but you have to add water more often. Under all other charging modes, it does just fine. I talked to the Dim factory service guys about changing the cycle count but it would cost the price of a whole new control board. I also asked how I could abort the Conditioning Mode, but there's no easy way to do that either. The best I can do to reduce the charge is to set the input current limit to "5 Amps".

My 4 Trojans are 4.5 yrs old and doing fine with the Dimensions. I haven't really noticed any reduction in charge holding capacity.

My Dimensions is located in the biggest storage compartment, so it has plenty of ambient air to keep cool. If your's is in a small compartment, it may be running a lot hotter and that could shorten the life expectancy and reliability of the Dim unit. Some folks have installed an exhaust fan and vents to push the hot air out in the smaller compartments.

Good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote