Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile Engine batteries not staying charged

I recently purchased a used 2005 Journey 36g. It appears the house batteries are not keeping a charge. They currently read 11.7. The batteries are 2 years old. I've had the coach for 2 weeks. The aux. switch has been turned off, as well as all other electrical units (as far as I know). The house batteries are fine, 13.5. Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
oops ...saw the other post but thought I was responding here ... anyway ...

Aux battery switch on my coach controls the house batteries only; you MAY have an additional cutoff for the chassis batteries too.

There are a number of parasitic drains on the chassis batteries ...radios pull some power even when off, smart steering wheel, engine computer, LP alarms, etc. In addition, the entry steps, leveling jacks and slide-outs are powered from the chassis batteries. I think basement storage compartment lights are on the house batteries, but not sure...

I would hope chassis batteries would last longer than two years, but it does depend on how they have been treated. My original batteries on 2003 coach mfg in 2002 died in 2005. The replacements put in at that time are still going strong. If yours get hot when being charged, or have any swollen sides, replace them all. Otherwise, the only way to tell for sure is to have them load tested at a battery place.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
see other post.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote