Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

I just bought a 2016 journey. Have had it now for 2 weeks. I started the engine yesterday to use the air compressor and got a low voltage alarm. So I guess I'm also having problems with the inverter not charging my chassis batteries when parked. Where is the isolation manager located so I can check it out? By the way I have been reading every post and have learned a lot from you guys while I dreamed of this purchase. You all help me make a much more informed purchase! Thanks to all!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Many diesel MHs get a low voltage at start up, due to intake air heaters. They draw 60 to 90 Amps. What your seeing may be normal.

Check your start battery while engine off and inverter charger on. If you have a bit more then 13 volts, all is OK.

If not, then see if you have a bi-directional system and go from there.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #43
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Many diesel MHs get a low voltage at start up, due to intake air heaters. They draw 60 to 90 Amps. What your seeing may be normal.

Check your start battery while engine off and inverter charger on. If you have a bit more then 13 volts, all is OK.

If not, then see if you have a bi-directional system and go from there.

Thanks for the help. Hate to have problems from the start.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcamper View Post
Thanks for the help. Hate to have problems from the start.

12.9 volts so I guess I'm OK. Thanks again.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

Not sure it has been mentioned but the electronic sensors in most RVs, even in my old '94 Bounder, sensed the condition of the house batteries AND the output of the alternator on the chassis batteries or battery.

IF there are any weak or defective batteries in this setup, the house batteries will not be charged as that could damage the alternator and cause the driver to be stranded on the highway. And that takes precedence over charging the house batteries.

So if the chassis battery is weak, and the alternator has to really work to move it's voltage up to an acceptable voltage, the house batteries won't be charged until a minimum charge value is reached, if ever. And IF there is a house battery with a bad cell, for example, and it's voltage doesn't come up to a minimum level, then again, the BCC won't allow the alternator to try and charge it.

At least that's the way the BCC in my old '94 diesel pusher worked.

So the question I'd have for the OP is, how old are your batteries? Have you had them load tested?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote