Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Engine Radiator Cooling Fans

2001 Winnebago Journey 36LD Cat C7
Question Preface: When it comes to Electrical I'm Lost.
Prior to starting out on our last trip I noticed that the inverter/charger panel inside the coach was not lit up so I started checking fuses inside the coach. All was good. Then I read that there is a fuse on the inverter/charger itself so I reached into the outside compartment (one full arms length) to push the fuse in and inadvertently switched off the inverter/charger. We set off on our trip and all went well until we had a fairly long climb. We then got a buzzing sound from the dash and I believe a "low water" warning. I immediately stopped and let the engine cool. Looking into the engine compartment I noticed that the Hydraulic Reservoir tank was bubbling and the Coolant Surge tank also. After figuring out that I had turned off the inverter/charger by mistake I turned it back on. We completed the rest of the trip with the dash buzzer and "low water" coming on then off but with no overheating of the engine or bubbling in either surge tank. (I suspect the coolant sensor is either shot or needs cleaning)
My question is: Could the radiator cooling fans and transmission cooling possibly be wired through the inverter/charger?. If so, is this normal?.
Golfinscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They will do that on a climb if your water is at the minimum mark. Mine did it last week. Added about a quart to the tank and all is fine. I have mine right at the cold max mark.

And no the inverter is not wired to the fans
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Steve, Does the bubbling in those tanks affect the quality of the fluids?, and should the inverter/charger be off or on all of the time?.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:27 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The radiator fan on your CAT is belt driven by the engine. Nothing on the chassis side of your coach has any connection with the inverter/charger.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
"My question is: Could the radiator cooling fans and transmission cooling possibly be wired through the inverter/charger?. If so, is this normal?"

Uh...no, this is weird. The inverter/charger does two things, neither of which is related to the cooling fans. The inverter inverts 12vdc into 120 vac so you can run your 120vac blow dryer off the 12vdc battery. The charger turns 120vac shore or generator power into 12vdc to charge the batteries and supply the 12 volt system to the COACH, and maybe the chassis but only if the alternator is not producing power and the shore or generator is. Cooling fans SHOULD be a chassis system, powered by the engine's alternator and backed by the chassis battery.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Chris, Ok I see, but why would I get the buzzer/light and bubbling if the fluid levels were correct and the temp gauge indicated no problem?.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Tony, I get it now as far as the separate systems are concerned. Should the inverter/charger be switched on all of the time?
Old 07-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On mine I leave the inverter on at all times because I have the residential refrigerator. Only time it is off is when it is parked somewhere and not plugged in. I had the bubbling in my Journey and all was fine.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Steve, thank you all...
Old 07-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinscorp View Post
Chris, Ok I see, but why would I get the buzzer/light and bubbling if the fluid levels were correct and the temp gauge indicated no problem?.

Try adding some coolant--up to the MAX level when it's cold. The low coolant signal may be triggered when the coach is on an angle and the tank isn't full.

The coolant surge tank is not an overflow tank--it's part of the pressurized radiator system.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #11

When you pulled over to cool down you did not shut it down did you?
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Chris, I forgot to mention that since this episode, each time we drive it, even on the level, the buzzer sometimes goes off and the dash light appears. Sometimes the buzzer stays on sometimes it stops after a while.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Bigb56 yes I shut it off.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinscorp View Post
Bigb56 yes I shut it off.
I'll answer that one .

The condition is called " after boil " ; once the engine is shut down during a hot or over heat condition , the circulation /cooling of the fluids stops and the heat of the cast iron transfers to the fluids ; boiling them. The engine coolant should not be bothered by the boiling , hydraulic fluid condition /color should be checked to insure it hasn't degraded.

Once you were sure the drive belts were in place , allowing the engine to cool off at idle would be best.

Tags
cooling, engine, fan, radiator