Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #1

Angry Entrance door latch stuck - HELP

I've got a 2010 Itasca Meridian V Class 34Y.

The outside latch on the entrance door has been "sticky" since we got the coach back in November. It usually requires an extra "tug" to open the door.

Well today I was working inside the RV. I came out to get some tools and now can't open the door!

It will not unlatch. The handle moves to that spot where it usually requires the extra tug to open but won't open.

The door is definitely not locked. The dead bolt is not on.

I'm stuck outside. Generator running, heat on, radio blaring. HELP!!!

Is there any way in short of breaking a window?
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

On mine, I have to push in on the door while pulling out on the handle. There is a click as the door unlatches and then opens.
Don't know why, but what ever works.
bsimonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Do you have a drivers door? Maybe one of the windows is not locked. We had the same problem on our 2003 Suncruiser last year but thanks to the drivers door we were able to get inside.

The inside door handle most direcly unlocks the door, the outside door handle has a tab on it that indirecly pushes on the inner door mechanisum to unlock the door latch.

If you can get the door open take the rubber plug off the side of the door near the latch and give the screw inside a half turn clock wise. That fixed our problem. Give the latch mechanism a shot of lube while you have the plug off.

Good luck.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have a much older rig ('01) but that happened to me and I entered the rig by using the rear bedroom window which is not a sliding window but one that cranks open. I carefully and slowly pried this window up and pulled the emergency window levers and then entered the coach. Had to slit the screen with a razor blade to access the handles.

I then replaced the door latch and ALWAYS leave the rear window cracked for easy entry should this happen again.

Nick, Journey
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #5

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magumba View Post
Do you have a drivers door? Maybe one of the windows is not locked. We had the same problem on our 2003 Suncruiser last year but thanks to the drivers door we were able to get inside.

The inside door handle most direcly unlocks the door, the outside door handle has a tab on it that indirecly pushes on the inner door mechanisum to unlock the door latch.

If you can get the door open take the rubber plug off the side of the door near the latch and give the screw inside a half turn clock wise. That fixed our problem. Give the latch mechanism a shot of lube while you have the plug off.

Good luck.
UPDATE.

With the help of a phone call to the dealer and Winnebago I got in. I had to destroy the outside handle. Winni is sending a new one out today under warranty.

I felt like a safe cracker They gave me specific measurements to drill a hole through the handle and plate behind it. I then used a screw driver to move the latch to the right and open the door.

BTW, you should all feel confident that no one is going to easily break into your door. It took me awhile to drill through that handle with a heavy duty 17/32" drill bit I bought to drill through the frame of my Jeep to put a baseplate on. Also my battery operated DeWalt was not up to the challenge, I had to use the electric drill.

Examining how the lock was put together, I had already found that cover and adjustment screw. I believe that may have been the issue all along.

A word of warning. If your outside handle is "sticky", adjust that screw clockwise BEFORE you get locked out!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
UPDATE.

With the help of a phone call to the dealer and Winnebago I got in. I had to destroy the outside handle. Winni is sending a new one out today under warranty.

I felt like a safe cracker They gave me specific measurements to drill a 1/2" hole through the handle and plate behind it. I then used a screw driver to move the latch to the right and open the door.

Examining how the lock was put together, I had already found that cover and adjustment screw. I believe that was the issue all along.

A word of warning. If your outside handle is "sticky", adjust that screw clockwise BEFORE you get locked out!

Sounds like you weren't the first
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall

UPDATE.

I felt like a safe cracker They gave me specific measurements to drill a hole through the handle and plate behind it. I then used a screw driver to move the latch to the right and open the door.

BTW, you should all feel confident that no one is going to easily break into your door. It took me awhile to drill through that handle with a heavy duty 17/32" drill bit I bought to drill through the frame of my Jeep to put a baseplate on. Also my battery operated DeWalt was not up to the challenge, I had to use the electric drill.

Examining how the lock was put together, I had already found that cover and adjustment screw. I believe that may have been the issue all along.

Can you post those specific measurements for future use? Thanks Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
Can you post those specific measurements for future use? Thanks Cliff
Check out the pictures in my previous post. 3/4" up and 1/2" to the right of the lower left hand corner of the handle.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:08 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall

Check out the pictures in my previous post. 3/4" up and 1/2" to the right of the lower left hand corner of the handle.
That's about what it looked like in the photo. Good job. Thanks again

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

offthewall,
Can you explain the cover and adjustment screw for me? We had the same problem when we owned a Minnie. Thought the door was locked with the keys inside. Turned out to just be jammed. AAA got us into the cab with a slim jim (tool to unlock car doors). Loosening the screws on the inside then pulling the whole thing up seemed to fix it. Now our Vectra seems to be sticking like the door is hanging on the top of the latch.

This afternoon I will be looking into it and for now the drivers window is secretly left unlocked and step ladder close by.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
offthewall,
Can you explain the cover and adjustment screw for me? We had the same problem when we owned a Minnie. Thought the door was locked with the keys inside. Turned out to just be jammed. AAA got us into the cab with a slim jim (tool to unlock car doors). Loosening the screws on the inside then pulling the whole thing up seemed to fix it. Now our Vectra seems to be sticking like the door is hanging on the top of the latch.

This afternoon I will be looking into it and for now the drivers window is secretly left unlocked and step ladder close by.
On the edge of the door directly below the latch mechanism there is a 1/2" round black plastic plug. Pry that plug off to expose a 1/2" hole. Look in the hole, you'll see a 7/32" nut. Using a socket wrench give the nut a 1/2 turn clockwise.

With the door still open, push the latch mechanism closed manually and check the operation of the outside door latch while the door is still open. Continue tweaking that nut until you feel the outside and inside latches work smoothly.

Do all this testing with the door OPEN by manually pushing the latch mechanism on the side of the door closed so you don't lock yourself out (or in).

My door is working so smoothly now except there's a giant hole in the handle.

P.S. It's amazing how I've become such a front door latch expert in the last 24 hours.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:

On the edge of the door directly below the latch mechanism there is a 1/2" round black plastic plug. Pry that plug off to expose a 1/2" hole. Look in the hole, you'll see a 7/32" nut. Using a socket wrench give the nut a 1/2 turn clockwise.

With the door still open, push the latch mechanism closed manually and check the operation of the outside door latch while the door is still open. Continue tweaking that nut until you feel the outside and inside latches work smoothly.

Do all this testing with the door OPEN by manually pushing the latch mechanism on the side of the door closed so you don't lock yourself out (or in).

My door is working so smoothly now except there's a giant hole in the handle.

P.S. It's amazing how I've become such a front door latch expert in the last 24 hours.
On my Vectra I have a thin 1" square flat black plastic cover stuck over the hole, and the nut inside is 7/16".

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

After I got locked out once. And paid a lock smith to get back in.
I have 2 windows that are never locked. Used one of them since.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
After I got locked out once. And paid a lock smith to get back in.
I have 2 windows that are never locked. Used one of them since.
I would have payed anything for an unlocked window at one point yesterday

Although the "safe cracking" procedure wound up being much cheaper (free) than any of the other wild ideas that were flying around my frustrated brain when that door wouldn't open.

I have to give credit to the DW who calmly suggested, "Why don't you just call the dealer?" mmm, didn't think of that one.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We have the opposite problem with our 2007 Winnebago Journey SE. When we close our door, we have to slam it in order for it to latch. Any suggestions??
ginagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginagary View Post
We have the opposite problem with our 2007 Winnebago Journey SE. When we close our door, we have to slam it in order for it to latch. Any suggestions??
Just a guess but I'd say you need to adjust the position of the pin on the door frame.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

If you can very carefully slip a tool.. A bent pick is a good choice, up into the space near the bolt and press it back into the door.

In my case the bolt broke. The only fix was replacement

I have a sneaking suspicision you have a screw loose and can fix it once you get it open. (The screw is inside the latch)
Old 01-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #18

Smile

Quote:
UPDATE.

Until I get the new handle from Winnebago, I put a couple of plastic plugs in the drilled hole to keep dirt and critters out. It also doesn't look half bad. The hole in my nice new RV was bugging me a bit.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Question

Quote:
Until I get the new handle from Winnebago, I put a couple of plastic plugs in the drilled hole to keep dirt and critters out. It also doesn't look half bad. The hole in my nice new RV was bugging me a bit.

Where did you get that plug?

Also, Do you find that the screwdriver won't work if the bottom key is turned to the locked position?

A more basic question: are you able to get out from inside with the outside handle pushed flush - I don't think I can and have not been willing to give it a try.
Jerry_Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Keller View Post
Where did you get that plug?

Also, Do you find that the screwdriver won't work if the bottom key is turned to the locked position?

A more basic question: are you able to get out from inside with the outside handle pushed flush - I don't think I can and have not been willing to give it a try.
The plug is a standard nylon "hole plug" found in any hardware store. Buy one that fits the size you drilled.

You can not open the door with a screw driver if the bottom key is locked.

Yes, my outside and inside handles work fine after proper adjustment of the door jam screw (see previous posts).