Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
KIX
Winnebago Master

Entry Door "Stay Open"

Our entry door will not stay open in a breeze. I can't determine if there ever was a mechanism to keep the door open but don't think so. I did a search and found that some have used a strap to keep it from opening too far but that won't keep it open. Then I found a suction cup attached "bar" that could hold the door in an open position IF the suction cups are strong enough. Has anyone come up with a good idea for this issue? TIA

On edit: Our coach is a DP with the door at the pax side front. The door only opes at full swing about 100*.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Have you tried any of these: Entry Door Latches
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to rowesort
My coach same as yours there is a spring mechanism in the door which is connected to the jamb it is flat and flairs to about 1/2 an inch and passes throug 2 springs mounted in a box. The springs stops the door from opening all the way and the flat bar is bananna shaped so the door goes over center and stays open.
rowesort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

This thread over on the www.rvforum.net forum includes some pictures of the internal door check mechanism: Horizon Door Hinge

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have the 03 40K Ultimate. I found a bunge cord that I hook around the inside door handle and the other end around the post for the windshield wiper. It was both inexpensive and easy to use.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Our door also had no "holder" to keep it from blowing shut or from swinging to wide and totally springing it so we did buy two large suction cups and a towel bar type rod. Works fairly well unless there are gale force winds.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Some of the older class C's used a rod to hold the door open. The rod is nothing more than a piece of 1/4 alum. rod bent 90 deg. on each end. The ends are covered with shrink tubing. They attach brackets to the door and the MH body that will accept the rod.

I got a rod and brackets from my dealer and adapted them to my 03 Journey door by mounting one bracket about center over the door frame, and the other on the inside top of the door.

The system works great and because the rod is rigid works in any wind direction.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
The rod is nothing more than a piece of 1/4 alum. rod bent 90 deg. on each end. The ends are covered with shrink tubing. They attach brackets to the door and the MH body that will accept the rod.

I got a rod and brackets from my dealer and adapted them to my 03 Journey door by mounting one bracket about center over the door frame, and the other on the inside top of the door.

The system works great and because the rod is rigid works in any wind direction.
That's exactly what I was thinking of fabricating. thanks for telling me where I might buy the set up ready made..
Old 08-08-2009, 06:21 AM   #11
GG1
Winnie-Wise

ernieh,

can you post a photo of what you have?
Old 08-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

My coach came with a "hold open" device however it can only be used with the awning retracted.. Awning extenced we use a bungie cord
Old 08-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I didn't notice on the 2010 models but someone told me they now have a piston type device on the DP doors. Maybe some one else here saw it. Maybe a call to Winnebago or Litchsinn would find the part.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

GC1 and KIX,

I don't have a photo handy, but I do have the Winnebago part numbers.

127647-07-01A 17.8" entrance door rod

127647-02-01A 12.7" entrance door rod

127960-01-01A stainless retainer eye

The above parts are on page 185 of the Winnebago parts and accessories book.

I believe that they are intended to keep entrance doors from contacting awning arms. The eyes would normally be installed on the outside of the door and the side of the coach. I used the 17.8" arm. One eye is mounted about top center of the door frame on the outside of my coach and the other is mounted on the inside top face of the door.

Note: the screen door frame clears the eye with no modification but I had to make a spacer for the door frame. I used a piece of plastic about the size of the eye for the spacer. Also, I trimmed the inside plastic door panel so that the eye was mounted directly to the metal door.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:37 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

KIX- Take your door apart and tighten the two bolts on the cam/spring limiting hinge piece. Easy adjustment to make.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:12 AM   #16
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary CA View Post
KIX- Take your door apart and tighten the two bolts on the cam/spring limiting hinge piece. Easy adjustment to make.
Thansk Gary.......I'll try that.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
My "door check" mechanism on our 2005 Journey 36G DP had no problem with the wind closing the door, but when the door is opened there is a loud POP as the springs of the door check ride along the flat metal rod that attaches the door to the MH frame. I sort-of took Gary CA advise, but instead of tightening the springs in the door check mechanism with the two 3/8" bolts, I loosened them up until the door would close with a slight breeze. Then I tightened them down until they held the door open with a 20 mph wind (today is a good test day!). Then I greased the whole mechanism with spray lithium grease. I also greased all the flat rod pivot points and the door hinges. The POP sound has turned into just a slight crack sound now.

My door hinges show some wear and twisting, no doubt due to wind working on the open door. Instead of replacing them now, I am taking ernieh's advice and going to get the entrance door "rod-awning guard" and eye retainers he recommends. But, I think the 19.4" rod better fits my needs.

I hope these efforts will prolong me having to replace the worn door check mechanism and my door hinges.

Suncircles
2005 Journey 36G with a CRV Toad
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to rowesort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncircles View Post
My "door check" mechanism on our 2005 Journey 36G DP had no problem with the wind closing the door, but when the door is opened there is a loud POP as the springs of the door check ride along the flat metal rod that attaches the door to the MH frame. I sort-of took Gary CA advise, but instead of tightening the springs in the door check mechanism with the two 3/8" bolts, I loosened them up until the door would close with a slight breeze. Then I tightened them down until they held the door open with a 20 mph wind (today is a good test day!). Then I greased the whole mechanism with spray lithium grease. I also greased all the flat rod pivot points and the door hinges. The POP sound has turned into just a slight crack sound now.

My door hinges show some wear and twisting, no doubt due to wind working on the open door. Instead of replacing them now, I am taking ernieh's advice and going to get the entrance door "rod-awning guard" and eye retainers he recommends. But, I think the 19.4" rod better fits my needs.

I hope these efforts will prolong me having to replace the worn door check mechanism and my door hinges.

Suncircles
2005 Journey 36G with a CRV Toad
The loud clicking noise is a result of wear on the pivot hinge on the slider rod. I took mine off and with a punch and hammer tightened the rivot and the loud click went away. Greasing the slider has the same impact as loosening the tension bolts on the pincher
rowesort is offline   Reply With Quote