Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Here's the link.

JimBob's Eternabond

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:37 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Bob:
I first read about this topic on this site and after inspecting the seam by pushing in with my thumb just above the gutter I saw how the fiberglass "flexed" in away from the gutter opening a gap. Then I went to the dealer and looked at a cut-away section of the aluminum gutter.I agree with FrontRanger about the construction and that water would have a hard time getting behind the seam to the sidewall. But I have seen delamination on some older Journeys at the rear of the sidewall in line with the rear cap. Water MAY run to the rear of the coach behind the seam and find its way down where the end cap meets the roof if the end cap calk also is bad too. Also the issue of what keeps the roof from coming out from behind the gutter was posted here on this site. That is part of the reason I decided to use eternabond tape. It was reported the "skin" has come out from behind the gutter while driving and wind pulled the skin of the roof loose. Eternabond realy holds the seam together and will flex with the coach. Again the options are out there and I like this one. Happy Camping!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a good post, and I can see where the water eventually could work its way back to the seam on the rear cap as you drive and air moves the moisture. I also believe that Winnie requires the caulk along the gutter rail to "hold" the roof edge to the gutter and the sidewall.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To add to this on my 95 Vectra the weep holes in the gutter became clogged and the gutter was filled with sediment so that is was not draining properly. If enough of that constant wetness wicked up I could have had a major structural problem to deal with. I caught it in the nick of time through inspection but it was a big job to clean out the weep holes, get the sediment out of the rail, dry everything up and then recaulk. On my current coach I am seriously considering using the 1 inch White EternaBond over the gutter or the 1/4 inch double faced Eternabond gasket material between the gutter and the roof. Putting the 1/4 inch double faced material between the roof and the gutter may be tricky but you would not see it from the ground so it would be more pleasing to the eye.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for all the thoughts on the use of eternabond. My coach is in Forest City right now and I have had them re-caulk the roof seam so that I can get a good idea on what is involved in re-caulking so better to make a decision on using eternabond. If I thought I could make as nice a job of the installation of the eternabond as what Jim Bob did, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment.
Brian
Old 04-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I thought I could make as nice a job of the installation </div></BLOCKQUOTE>....(snip)

If I can do it, you can do it!!

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:32 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

I saw somewhere that you can get the matching paint in aerosol cans for the full body paint jobs. I think it was Sherwin Williams and about $25.00 a can. Does anybody know for sure?

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Brian, it isn't hard just a little slow going up and down the ladder. I found out real quick to only peel off a few inches of the backing at a time cause that stuff sure does stick. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Good stuff. I used Eternabond on mine in January '03 and I believe I was the first to do it. I check mine every time I am 0n the roof, it is not as white as it was 4 years ago but I think the discoloration came from the wax I have used for 4 years. It is without a doubt sticking as well as it day the day I installed it, I hope I never have to remove it.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for posting the link with photos. I will be checking mine when I get it out from the current freezing weather we are continuing to have here in Indiana.

Where is Spring???? It actually warmed up a bit today, up to about 40 degrees.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:53 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Doug and Cassie:

NAPA can put some colors in spray cans for about $15 a can. Only their speciality paint stores offer this I believe and in downtown Albuquerque is such a store. Other stores can ship the order to them, they fill it and ship back. No idea on the cost.

JimBob:

Thanks for the great pictures on your Eternabond application. We need to do it and the pictures will sure help.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:02 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Oh, also has anyone used Eternabond around their skylights/vent stacks/roof vents? The Eternabond website said that is a use. Also they mentioned that SEVERAL RV manafacturers are using it on their roofs from the git go. No mention that I saw of who. Come on Winnebago get on that bandwagon. PLEASE.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

When I put on my rv 360 on the vent stack I used eternal bond around the vent stack. So far so good about 1 1/2 years still looks like new.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #32

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Savannah:
Oh, also has anyone used Eternabond around their skylights/vent stacks/roof vents? The Eternabond website said that is a use. Also they mentioned that SEVERAL RV manafacturers are using it on their roofs from the git go. No mention that I saw of who. Come on Winnebago get on that bandwagon. PLEASE. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What manufacturer is using that stuff around vents etc? What would you do when you needed to replace that vent? Im THRILLED that Winnebago isn't using that stuff on our roofs!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

All I did was write what is on the Eternabond website. They didn't say what manafacturers just said some MAJOR.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone know if you can buy the self leveling silicone sealant from anywhere except Winnebago?
Old 04-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #35

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by marbilupton:
Does anyone know if you can buy the self leveling silicone sealant from anywhere except Winnebago? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dicor....and its not silicone...do NOT use silicone on your roof.

I bought some at the local RV parts store....also Camping World has it
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:38 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

I use eternabond around my skylight right over the self leveling stuff Winnie uses. Must clean really well, but once it is down it is there to stay. The self leveling stuff turned an ugly dirty color after a year or two. Eternabond stays bright white.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:38 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Savannah:
Oh, also has anyone used Eternabond around their skylights/vent stacks/roof vents? The Eternabond website said that is a use. Also they mentioned that SEVERAL RV manafacturers are using it on their roofs from the git go. No mention that I saw of who. Come on Winnebago get on that bandwagon. PLEASE. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What manufacturer is using that stuff around vents etc? What would you do when you needed to replace that vent? Im THRILLED that Winnebago isn't using that stuff on our roofs! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Winnebago has been using the double faced variety for some time now, since 1995 that I am aware of. You might find it under your vents and some marker lights. It is also used behind the porch lights at times. They also use it to seal the shower door tracks to the walls and shower pan.

It is not that hard to clean off either. I removed and reinstalled several items that were sitting on top of the double faced variety and if you take your time and don't rush things it comes off just fine.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

I just got my order for Eternabond from Best Materials yesterday. As soon as the weather warms up, I'll be doing the roof on my 31' 2005 Minnie. I've read lots of posts on this subject and feel this is the way to go for me, others may disagree and that's their prerogative. I also agree that checking every 6 months is nuts! If this is a way to permanently seal these these seams, it should be done when manufactured! JMHO\\jojolou
jojolou is offline   Reply With Quote