Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Exterior Light fixture

This is almost embarrassing, but in order for me to check the LED bulb on my outside light fixture, the lens appears like it is caulked in place and does not want to be removed. This is on a new 2014 Itasca Meridian 40u. I do not want to force the lens for fear of breaking it. I checked the manuals and could not find anything regarding removing the lens. I think the bulb is loose. It was not on and when I shut the door on the coach, it came on. Just want to check it out, but cannot figure out how to get the lens off.
callie57702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If the coach is new, it should be covered by warranty. Let the dealer fix it.
Don't be embarrassed...you paid for a new coach. You should get a new coach with everything working properly.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Generally you have to lightly squeeze the lens together by holding your handover it at the top and bottom to remove it. There are 2 tabs on the top near the corners and 2 tabs on the bottom. It should only take a few pounds of pressure to deform the lens enough for the tabs to pop out of the corresponding slots in the base. To reinstall it put the top tabs back in the slots and align the bottom tabs with the lower slots. Lightly squeeze and push the lower edge toward the base. The lower tabs should pop into the slots.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Well Sir,
First off, some, many in fact, LED "light fixtures" ARE a sealed unit. Such things as tail lights, some porch lights, side markers, clearance lights and more, are sealed units and, the lens cannot be removed. Without seeing a picture of yours, it's hard to determine if yours is like that or not.

I've done things like what you're doing in terms of doing a swift check on something malfunctioning rather than drive the big beast all the way to the dealer and have them take it and store it until they finally get around to analyzing and repairing your issue. Especially if it's something as simple as a light bulb malfunction. Yep, you have warranty and, they'd most likely handle your issue, if you were to take the time to take there for their techs to check it all out.

Now, if your fixture in question is a normal fixture and, an LED bulb has been installed, then you'll have to figure out WHY the lens cover was siliconed in place. Maybe it had potential for a leak and, some tech sealed it up. But, do let us know what you find out.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Callie:
Your post triggered my memory and a failed attempt that a friend with a Tour and I made in an attempt to replace the bulb. The fixture is made by ITC as are most of the light fixtures that Winnebago use. The link to what I believe is your fixture is here - Products - and below the text is a link to installation instructions. It looks like the chrome trim ring pops off and there are 4 screws that then need to be removed to get the lens off. If that isn't the correct fixture, have a look through their RV product lists for it and others in the coach. Hope this helps .... it is definitely not as simple as squeezing the top and bottom of the lens like on mine and older coaches.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

It mentions in the installation instructions, that if it is an LED light, the LED is not replaceable. If a halogen bulb, you use a flat head screw driver to pop the lens off.

Quote:
If the light ever needs to be accessed for 81767 halogen bulb replacement (10 Watt G4 style halogen). The bezel will snap off using a flat head screwdriver in the slot on the side of the light. The 69767 LED light source is not replaceable.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie57702 View Post
This is almost embarrassing, but in order for me to check the LED bulb on my outside light fixture, the lens appears like it is caulked in place and does not want to be removed. This is on a new 2014 Itasca Meridian 40u. I do not want to force the lens for fear of breaking it. I checked the manuals and could not find anything regarding removing the lens. I think the bulb is loose. It was not on and when I shut the door on the coach, it came on. Just want to check it out, but cannot figure out how to get the lens off.
Go to the dealer. More likely there is a poor connection in the wiring. Why should you need to tear into your new coach for this type of problem? Hopefully the dealer know how to solve your problem in short order (no pun intended ).
Old 11-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We had the same issue- dealer had to change it- it was sealed. Interestingly enough, the dealer made sure he had another exterior light just like it before he changed it because they break so often. Working great now.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredx2 View Post
We had the same issue- dealer had to change it- it was sealed. Interestingly enough, the dealer made sure he had another exterior light just like it before he changed it because they break so often. Working great now.
By chance could you post a picture of the old light without the lens? I take it that is was replaced? Here is what I have learned about LED replacements for incandescents. If the LED modules are simply mounted on the circuit board with no heat-sync they will fail in short order. Even on a heat-sync the drivers may fail but far less often. The picture might give me a clue as to why the dealer says this one is failing so often.

Thank,
Rick Y