Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

I cannot believe the 10 year roof warranty. Come on Winnebego ! I have many problems with my unit; entry door, door awning, curbside slide that I am hoping is covered under warranty .... but the response I am getting from my dealer makes me wonder. Whats going on????
Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:24 AM   #42
Winnebago Master

All of the "What If's" are going to turn into "Wish I had done something". IMHO Eternabond it and forget it. I did 7 years ago and it looks like the day I put it on. Never had a leak and don't expect to with Eternabond.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #43
JC2
Winnie-Wise

From reading some of the posts concerning sealing where the fiberglass roof meets the gutter, some are using Eternabond with a slight overlap onto the gutter and others use caulk. Is the caulk in question the same Dicor type lap sealant used elsewhere on top of the roof? Approximately how many tubes would be needed for a 33ft MH?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #44
Winnebago Master

Quote:
the caulk in question the same Dicor type lap sealant used elsewhere on top of the roof?
Absolutely not! The roof side seam sealant is NOT like Dicor self-leveling used on the horzional roof surfaces. Winnebago web site has call-out sheets on what sealant goes where. The side seam sealant is a urethane type synthetic rubber sealalt. The factory gave me a tube labeled Kop-R-Last. I don't know what an equivalent sealant would be.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #45
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally posted by Homer:
All of the "What If's" are going to turn into "Wish I had done something". IMHO Eternabond it and forget it. I did 7 years ago and it looks like the day I put it on. Never had a leak and don't expect to with Eternabond.
Homer, when is the next time you will be passing thru Calfornia? I have a box of arrogant ******* Ale (Local Brew)just waiting for a job.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #46
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally posted by AFChap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the caulk in question the same Dicor type lap sealant used elsewhere on top of the roof?
Absolutely not! The roof side seam sealant is NOT like Dicor self-leveling used on the horzional roof surfaces. Winnebago web site has call-out sheets on what sealant goes where. The side seam sealant is a urethane type synthetic rubber sealalt. The factory gave me a tube labeled Kop-R-Last. I don't know what an equivalent sealant would be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info AFC:
I'll give Winnie a call next week and try to get a PN. Maybe Lichtsinn Mtrs in Forest City, http://www.lichtsinn.com/ or these people http://www.winnebagoparts.com/ will have what I need if I decide to go the caulking route. It's going to be a tough decision as I am a firm believer in using Eternabond in most instances.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #47
Winnebago Master

In November, Lichtsinn quoted me a price of $14.65 a tube plus shipping. I had the name almost right. The accurate version is "Kop-R-Lastic"
Old 02-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #48
Winnebago Owner

I resealed my roof some time ago. The below part number is what Winne spec. sheet called out for my motorhome. The sealant is clear because I have full body paint. I believe non-paint will have white sealant but no reason clear will not work. Keep in mind the part number is for my 2003 Journey, full paint. Your coach may be different.

Sealer-Body Seam-Clear
PN 094401-04-000
Zone 06

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:41 AM   #49
Winnebago Watcher

Fiberglass roof

We have an 07 Voyage that has cracks in the front of the roof. Winnebago is standing firm that it is impact damage and not "stress" or a defect. We know it is not impact damage and our insurance company has said they agree. However, how do you fight Winnebago. If anyone has any ideas, please let us know. This is our last Winnebago. We have had it about 2 years and in that time, the backup cameras have not worked, the mirror fell off the wall with all the wires attached, a slide in cabinet fell loose and one of the slides fell loose and had to be repaired. Now we have roof issues. We are very disappointed with their product, especially since they preach how great they are built.
mitwil50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #50
Winnebago Camper

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
No leak, just when you push in at the edge, the caulk would seperate from the fiberglass material of the roof. ...... I bought the caulk and ended up doing the job myself. The roof material does not stick very deep in the J channel and I found nothing but the sealer holding it in. Surely there is SOMETHING else holding it.
Since the recaulk was a pain, I decided to do the ultimate re-seal and make sure the roof did not fly off, I did the entire roof edge with Eternabond, letting it lap down into the gutter channel. I believe it would rip the material to shreds before that stuff turned loose. No more worries.
After inspecting my roof edge, I find the caulk seperating just as you described. How does putting the Eternabond along the edge and down into the gutter keep the edge within the gutter?? Am I reading your post incorrectly? I need to make the maintenance repair on my 96 Adventurer before my next road trip, but I'm unsure how the Eternabond tape will hold the fiberglasss inside the gutter??
Old 11-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #51
Winnebago Master

I purchased 1 of each sealant specified for my motorhome while at GNR. All are available at home improvemnet centers for less than 1/3 the cost at Winnebago. The shipping is also more expensive for come because of the ingredients.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #52
Winnebago Owner

Are these roof separation issues widespread on most MH's or mostly found on Winne's?

I was told Motorhomes experience an earthquake each travel. There's a lot more dynamics going on with the chassis and body than you might want to think.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #53
Winnebago Owner

What are the equivolents at home improvement stores for roof to edge sealant?
Thanks

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #54
Winnebago Owner

Sealants Callout Sheets

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #55
Winnebago Camper

Ran a bead of sealant around the perimeter of the roof today. Took all of about 35 minutes!! Even looks good after I completed the job! Maybe it'll last a couple years.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:30 AM   #56
Winnebago Owner

3M 4200 and It's been on for 3 years and still good. that winnebago stuff is not so hot mine came loose after one year
Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #57
Winnebago Owner

What is the best way to remove the old sealant without damaging the paint all around? I have a full body paint coach.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #58
Winnebago Camper

new roof

Just replaced my roof on 2000 Winney Journey after portions were blown off in storm. about 11K total cost...
The shop removed all roof items, sat dome etc.. repaired the rips and tears in the old roof and then laid a new fiberglass 1 piece sheet ordered thru winney over the old one, using winny adhesive they applied the new roof directly over the old one. THen put all roof items back down....
Finshed with Eternabond around all edges to ensure it doesnt happen again. We shall see....
Very expensive, took 3 months and was no fun... covered by insurance though....
We shall see how long this one lasts....
capt mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #59
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt mav View Post
Just replaced my roof on 2000 Winney Journey after portions were blown off in storm. about 11K total cost...
The shop removed all roof items, sat dome etc.. repaired the rips and tears in the old roof and then laid a new fiberglass 1 piece sheet ordered thru winney over the old one, using winny adhesive they applied the new roof directly over the old one. THen put all roof items back down....
Finshed with Eternabond around all edges to ensure it doesnt happen again. We shall see....
Very expensive, took 3 months and was no fun... covered by insurance though....
We shall see how long this one lasts....
Please tell me what insurance company paid. Was it an extended warranty or auto type insurance? I recently had a $4500 insurance claim for storm damage and a windshield that was paid by State Farm. That $4500 pays for a lot of premiums that I have paid. It is well worth it to have good insurance. Thanks, Joe
Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #60
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Barge View Post
Does this eternabond material change the paint color at the gutter line?
My very thought. When the coach is painted and the roof edges match the side wall paint, what does it look like with the eternabond tape running the full length of the roof line?

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote