Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi All,

We are doing our pre-delivery inspection next weekend on a new 2007 Access 26A.

During an initial look on paperwork day, I noticed a spot on the back of the roof, on the curved part about a foot away from the ladder that looks like some small stress cracks in the fiberglass.

They of course said they can take care of it. I am curious on how you all think they will?

What should I look for to make sure it is okay?

I'm a bit worried of long-term issues here, but it's the last 2007 on the chassis I want and a really good deal, so I'm hoping it can be done right.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share about fiberglass roof repairs.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi All,

We are doing our pre-delivery inspection next weekend on a new 2007 Access 26A.

During an initial look on paperwork day, I noticed a spot on the back of the roof, on the curved part about a foot away from the ladder that looks like some small stress cracks in the fiberglass.

They of course said they can take care of it. I am curious on how you all think they will?

What should I look for to make sure it is okay?

I'm a bit worried of long-term issues here, but it's the last 2007 on the chassis I want and a really good deal, so I'm hoping it can be done right.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share about fiberglass roof repairs.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi Warren and welcome to the forum

That's a difficult question to answer. On the boats we have had, stress cracks on the surface of the glass were quite common and weren't a big deal but our fiberglass was quite thick and the crack didn't penetrate very far. This was primarily a cosmetic issue and not a structural issue. (However some cracks could be a structural issue!)

Something caused that stress which caused the crack. Even if they used a little epoxy or gel coat to fill in the crack, you have *no* guarantees it won't return.

Assuming you buy the unit and the repaired crack returns, Winnebago will make it right, but that might involve downtime and aggravation.

If this situation makes you uncomfortable, tell the dealer no thanks and shop for another one. Never get emotionally involved with anything you are buying - that's when bad decisions are made.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:10 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I've never thought about it before, but is there any reason you can't call Winnebago Service/Owner Relations and talk to them about issues/concerns before the purchase?

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Warren, not all small cracks in Gelcoat are stress caused. (Well, in a sense I guess what I am going to describe is stress.. Tension as it cures, but NOT external stress)Gelcoat is properly applied as a thin coat in a negative mould, and in the corners, creases, decorative designs, it is easily applied to thick(ly).. When it cures, it can shrink crack. Its most commonly a cosmetic thing as long as it doesn't expose the fabric, mat or whatever..I dont think Id be happy taking delivery of one that was cracked, but as alot of MoHos age, small spots often show up where it appears a repair was made. I suspect those are often Gel cracks that were repaired years ago.. If you see a new MoHo that has just been inspected by the dealer as it arrived from the factory, you may see ALOT of pieces of tape, stickers, marks, etc where repair is needed before its sold.. Looks like the measles sometimes I would want it noted by the dealer and Bago.....rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thansk for the info...

I guess I'll play it by ear and see what the service center says.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I just wanted to let you know that John was right about Winnebago standing behind the fibreglass. We had a problem with the roof on our coach that was the last one the dealer had. We noticed some cracks in the roof after we took it home and we were waxing it. We returned to the dealer. The dealer personnel viewed the cracks and decided that it was more than a easy fix They contacted Winnebago, took pictures and forwarded to Winnie. We wound up taking the unit to Forest City and they replaced the roof.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We wound up taking the unit to Forest City and they replaced the roof. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, that's good, and of course bad. If ours is bad enough to warrant it, that's a good 5000 miles put on our new coach and probably a good 3-4 weeks without it.

Still waiting to hear from the dealer on what they think... We'll see...
Old 10-26-2008, 07:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2007 Suncruiser 33V. 18,000 miles.

Just noticed that there is a broken line of small cracks (each about 2") on the roof---driver's side rear: last 9 feet. There are about 10 such cracks.

I spoke with Customer Relations and they said to take it to a dealer, which I will be doing next week.

I am concerned that there is an underlying structural reason for this cracking. Any similar experience?
JMroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

My cracks were on the back 90 degree bend Jeff, so from what I've been told you can ocassionally get small cracks there like I did.

Is yours perhaps in an area that gets stepped on quite bit?

I stopped putting a cover on my RV because I felt that my 250 pounds up there once every month or two is more risk to my coach than some sun damage.

Have you had any water intrusion in that area?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

My cracks are about a foot in from the side.

The only reason I go up on the roof is to wash it---every 6 months or so. That is how I noticed this.
No water intrusion. Too small at this point.

[email protected]
JMroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Most likely nothing to worry about.

What you probably have is the same material I do, called Filon.

Seems any amount of flexing/pressure and you can get the small spider-cracks.

They filled, sealed and repainted mine and it looks like new.

I was told they are cosmetic, and even if ignored wouldn't be a problem.

Keep us posted.