RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #1

First Diesel Pusher

I just purchased a 2006 Itasca Meridian 34H. Just wondering if there are anyone else out there that owns one and can give me some advise on what to do and not to do. It’s my first Diesel Pusher and I love it. We have traveled cross country twice before with our two little kids in our 21 foot TT. So excited to experience our next road trip in our diesel pusher.

cvo15885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!
What engine do you have?

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #3

It’s a CAT.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
First Diesel Pusher

Congratulations!

Our good friends had a similar coach with same engine. Served them well for years. Now in a Journey with a Cummins.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:01 PM   #5

Question to all DP owners. Should I utilize the automatic levelers while I am parked and storing the RV in my driveway? My driveway is pretty level so there is no need to level the coach. But wondering if I should to take some pressure off of the tires, or for any other reason?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You're going to love the view out the front windows as you travel. Speaking of windows...Make sure you have windshield insurance. Having my drivers side replaced in the next week or two.
You will notice as you are traveling locks of rocks, etc hit the flat windshield and chip it and sometimes break it.
I have CSAA (AAA) insurance with the premium coverage so my windshield is free. I had one replaced 12 years ago and it was $900 then, don't know yet what they cost now.

Also you may want to purchase a couple fire extinguishers as the little one that came with your coach is worthless.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:26 AM   #7

Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvo15885 View Post
Question to all DP owners. Should I utilize the automatic levelers while I am parked and storing the RV in my driveway? My driveway is pretty level so there is no need to level the coach. But wondering if I should to take some pressure off of the tires, or for any other reason?
Somewhere in all my documentation I read that it's recommended to use the jacks so as to keep the weight off of the tires, wheel bearings, and other suspension parts. Also it's a good idea to get tire coverS to protect tires from UV and pads to isolate your tires from your driveway surface. It helps prolong the life of those expensive tires.

Congratulations!
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
You're going to love the view out the front windows as you travel. Speaking of windows...Make sure you have windshield insurance. Having my drivers side replaced in the next week or two.
You will notice as you are traveling locks of rocks, etc hit the flat windshield and chip it and sometimes break it.
I have CSAA (AAA) insurance with the premium coverage so my windshield is free. I had one replaced 12 years ago and it was $900 then, don't know yet what they cost now.

Also you may want to purchase a couple fire extinguishers as the little one that came with your coach is worthless.

I will need separate windshield insurance? I spoke to my representative with Mercury and they said that is automatically covered under comprehensive coverage. Deductible is 500$.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I will need separate windshield insurance? I spoke to my representative with Mercury and they said that is automatically covered under comprehensive coverage. Deductible is 500$.
A windshield can be over a $1,000. My insurance has a $50 deductible on a new windshield but I get a yearly $50 "gift" from CSAA and that will cover this windshield that I'm having replaced.

You are going to to get hit with a lot of rocks, etc on the windshield. I probably have accumulated 10 chips over the years. That's why I made sure I had good coverage.

When you get a chip it's important to get it repaired within a couple days. Chip repairs are free with my policy.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:06 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently had to have my single piece glass windshield replaced on our 40U Journey. The total bill was $3,800. The glass along was $1,650 and packaging and shipping was $550. I'm glad we had windshield insurance with $100 deductible.
sinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Cvo
It is a good practice to take some wt off the tires as well as inflatong them to or near the max pressure on sidewall.

I did what some others recommend...built some blocks to just fir under the retracted jacks so when I dump the suspension the wt is on them.

HWH says OK to leave MH up on jacks but also recommends exercising the jacks periodically.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #12

Our insurance is with Safeco. After reading on this forum about the cost of windshield replacement I got full coverage insurance on glass damage. A year or so later it happened and I had to get the drivers side replaced. The cost was a little north of $1200.00 and the insurance paid all of it. I don't know if your insurance has that kind of coverage, but ours didn't cost that much and it was well worth it.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4XR View Post
Up

Somewhere in all my documentation I read that it's recommended to use the jacks so as to keep the weight off of the tires, wheel bearings, and other suspension parts. Also it's a good idea to get tire coverS to protect tires from UV and pads to isolate your tires from your driveway surface. It helps prolong the life of those expensive tires.

Congratulations!
X2 on protecting the Tires. I use good quality covers and I also bought some Thick Rubber runners from Menards and cut 4 of them into 18 X 18 Rubber Pads...they are about a quarter inch thick. Put the covers on after I center the Tires on the thick Rubber Pads...use them everywhere unless I'm only staying 1 night...Makes me feel better anyway so that's why I do it.

Wundertaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #14

Consider joining the Freightliner Custom Chassis owners club, and either attending one of their rallies or if possible Camp Freightliner in Gaffney SC if you want to learn a lot about DP operation.

We recently downsized, but I had DP’s before that.

jdyson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel