Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs down First motorhome

Looking to purchase a motorhome. I've looked at a suncruiser, a 1995.
I'm a little concerned about the ford 460 engine. The unit needs some TLC, mainly the headliner coming loose. It is at a dealer and supposed to be fully functional. Is the 460 a good engine or too much of a gas hog. The unit is 32 feet long.
not retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

IMHO, The 460 was a good engine. Welcome...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
IMHO, The 460 was a good engine. Welcome...
Yes,I too think the 460 is a very good engine and a gas hog,but then again most motorhomes are gas hogs.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I personally think the 460 is a great, solid, dependable engine. It's been around for a long time and has a pretty great track record. For that size of unit it should give you plenty of performance.

However I think you can pretty much kiss any hopes of getting good mileage out of any motorhome regardless of the engine. Pulling that load I would expect to get maybe 7-8 mpg. Probably the biggest factor will be your weight and how much pressure you are applying to the throttle pedal.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I would be concerned with the headliner coming loose. It could have leaks. Everything I have heard about the 460 engine it is good and mileage will be poor because it's a MH. Before you buy drive it and make sure it handles well, check tires, have a mechanic look at it, check all wall, cabnets, exterior etc for leaks or soft spots. If you know someone who owns and RV or has owned one take them with you. They will know what to look for. I have done that with friends. Saves lots of time and money.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
I would be concerned with the headliner coming loose. It could have leaks. Everything I have heard about the 460 engine it is good and mileage will be poor because it's a MH. Before you buy drive it and make sure it handles well, check tires, have a mechanic look at it, check all wall, cabnets, exterior etc for leaks or soft spots. If you know someone who owns and RV or has owned one take them with you. They will know what to look for. I have done that with friends. Saves lots of time and money.
I agree!!
geno39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Well, if its just headliner and not caused by water damage but because its 20 years old... headliners are simple to repair or replace.. spray adhesive and done....
Richdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

The 460 is a good engine and like all engines, it does well with the proper maintenance. It does have a affinity to visit places that sell gasoline and during the visits it will require large quantities of gasoline.

Ken
Old 03-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

not retired,
ANY motor home eats fuel! It doesn't matter what engine's in it. They've all got the aerodynamics of a gymnasium so don't expect any gas mileage other than poor. No one buys motor homes for gas mileage. They buy them to have fun, go places, visit areas and travel. Gas mileage is what it is. I've had two 460s. One in a 1-Ton '79 long wheel base Ford truck that carried a 12' cab over camper and, one in a '89 Class C, 28' Ultra. Both engines were outstanding. Good performance considering the amount of weight that you throw at them.

As for the headliner, one of you answers was, heck it's 20 years old, something like that can happen. I have no idea what it takes to fix that, can't be all that hard. But, take a good look at all the rest of the coach, under it, inside all the compartments, drawers, doors, engine compartment, lights inside and out, etc. How do the brakes feel? Any engine noises? Some of the 460s had tendency to eat some of the exhaust manifold bolts, not all, just some of them. Does the tranny shift smooth and normal? Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

thanks for the info. I didn't notice any water stains on headliner. It appears to be some type of vinyl material that has pulled loose from the channel holding it. Looks like it may have shrunk a quarter of an inch. I also didn't notice any odors or musty smell. Nothing that a good cleaning wouldn't take care. The dealer said they replaced belts and hoses, radiator and water pump
Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by not retired View Post
thanks for the info. I didn't notice any water stains on headliner. It appears to be some type of vinyl material that has pulled loose from the channel holding it. Looks like it may have shrunk a quarter of an inch. I also didn't notice any odors or musty smell. Nothing that a good cleaning wouldn't take care. The dealer said they replaced belts and hoses, radiator and water pump
Headliners are easy, yes they do come apart on cars, RV's, trucks anything with a headliner has gravity and gravity wants to pull down!!! You can replace the headliner with anything you want. I have done vinyl, fabric, headliner material, canvas etc... I have done tons of them. Never on a motor home but it really is the same job no matter what. easy steps too

1. Remove trim to take the headliner down
2. use caution here but remove and peal back the old headliner.
3. If you removed the foam or backer as well its now time to sand and scrape it all off to get down to a smooth surface.
4. Clean the surface even better! yes and get it as spotless and smooth as you can.
5. Cut an outline of the material that you will need giving yourself a few extra inches to work with.
6. Use 3m(important as it is the only one i have found to hold over years) Spray adhesive. The RED can not the Green one... Once again THE RED CAN! I know its a touch pricey but you need it to stand up to the heat.
7. Spray both the headliner backer and the material that you are going to use then let it sit for a while and tack up, you do not want it to be wet when you apply it...
8. Starting in the center lay it down with as few wrinkles as possible. When you get a wrinkle stretch it out, use muscle but don't rip...
9. Trim excess material and pin back any if you feel the need to keep excess.
10. Cut any holes from the top in an X pattern stopping before the point that you need to. Then round the corners in hopes not to create a running seam to rip on.
11. Put the headliner back in place(sometimes easier said than done but with two people in an RV you should be fine
12. Re-attach trim and accessories....
13. Enjoy and brag, you just saved hundreds vs having a shop do it...

to repair old headliner

1. inspect and clean all surfaces
2. remove trim and sagging panel
3. inspect and stretch to see if it can be put back into position (This will requite some muscle and finesse
4. clean surfaces
5. apply spray adhesive then let tack up
6. stretch and place old material back into position and hold it there for while while it bonds.
7. re assemble

It's as easy as replacing or fixing a headliner!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

The asking price is about 12K. Less than 50K showing on speedometer. Said they would fill propane and fuel tank
Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

tell um 10 and when they say no ask why they don't want to make a sale... then remind them of the age and point out all the stuff then make stuff up and point it out. Then point outwards of the door and walk if they don't come down... maybe ask for some extra free goodies... a year service on appliances etc...
Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I love that 460. Had one in my Bounder, and I wish there was one in my Suncruiser. The thing has the power of an ox. As far as gas mileage, don't give it a second thought. Any class A is going to yield 7 plus/minus 1 mpg. Yes, there are exceptions, but if you wanted good fuel economy, you'd have bought some box from Korea that would barely fit your ptukis. Enjoy the rig, fill it when it gets close to 1/4 tank, and smile when you hear that 460 winding up at 3500RPM. Suggest you keep it away from 4000RPM, though. There's a lot of steel moving around in there.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 96 suncruiser. drove over 8000mi now with no problems. Its 37ft and I pull a toad. I keep it at 60mph and don't use cruise unless its level ground for a distance.AVERAGE 7-8MPH. aVERY GOOD MH.
roadbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome