Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

First post with some Questions about a Class A

Greetings all !!!! Without writing a lot here I will post a link to a thread that I posted in another message board. I have also written some responses within the tread of my findings.

The reason I am posting it here is because I have some Winnebago specific questions.

Thanks in advance for your time reading and comments.

Click here for post
Old 11-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Gene & Ginger;

Welcome to the forum and the Winnebago Owners Forum. We are glad you found us. I would like to encourage you to go up to the New Member Check In and introduce your self so more of our members get to know you.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum. Since the thread on the other forum is pretty long (3 pages), I might suggest you go ahead and post your Winnebago-specific questions here.

My general Winnebago comments would be that they make a good coach for the money. No one is perfect and even Winnebago has problems at times but they seem to take care of their customers. Since you are looking at used rigs, previous owners have usually worked out the new motorhome bugs.

A real strength of Winnebago is the availability (directly from them) of most any technical information about their motorhomes, regardless of age and how many owners it may have had. You can get wiring, plumbing, etc. diagrams and information about the particular coach you own from their website or by contacting their owner relations folks.

Good luck with your search and whatever coach you end up with, be sure and come back to IRV2 to find help and to share your RV experiences.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

In your budget range, there are lots of options. I prefer a diesel for our use because we spend a lot time on mountain roads. The extra torque is nice on the way up and the exhaust braking is handy on the way down.

We have one 80 lb dog and with a single living room slide it got a little cramped. We were always tripping over the dog. Our current MH has slides on both sides of the living room and the added width is really appreciated. With three dogs, I would really want the the extra room inside.

With a quick nationwide search on rvtrader, I found several 2004 diesels in the $65k range (e.g. - 2004 Tiffin Phaeton 31,900 miles). At $75,000, there are even some new gas rigs. Your budget is more than adequate to go with either a gas or diesel MH.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Research, research, research followed by lots of looking. By asking on the forum you will get many good ideas. No one can make these decision for you. Only you will know when you have found the unit and floor plan you like. Don't think that you cannot afford a DP. It is hard to find a used unit of reasonable age that has 100,000 miles on it. We travel extensively and still average 10,000 miles a year. If you find something that you like and it is several years old have it checked by a good RV shop. There are many out there driving 5-10 year old units with few problems. I would tend to stay with manufacturers that are still in business and have stayed in business.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Well thanks again for all the good information. This weekend we are going to look at the following:

2004 Itasca Sunrise 32V, 38,000 miles, $59,999

2003 Fleetwood Bounder 35R, 50,600 miles, $59,995

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, 42,500 miles, $53,995

2004 Coachman Aurora 3480 DS-F, 25,000 miles, $54,995

My question is why is the 2000 Itasca priced around the newer models? Is the Suncruiser a nicer trim package ?

Thanks again..
Old 11-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago keeps changing their names, but I'm pretty sure that the Sunrise is a entry level coach and the Suncruiser is top of the line for gas. Not sure how to compare to other brands.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I couldn't find anything on a 2004 sunrise but I did find something on a 2008 sunrise and it shows it to be just below the suncruiser in the Itasca line up.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Looking at the brochures that are on Winnebago's website it looks like the Suncruiser is a little more plush like the above poster said.

Mu concern on that unit is the "TrueAir Central Air Conditioning" system. I have read some nightmare stories.. Can I believe all of that.

I guess the good news is that I am in the HVAC trade !!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Well thanks again for all the good information. This weekend we are going to look at the following:

2004 Itasca Sunrise 32V, 38,000 miles, $59,999

2003 Fleetwood Bounder 35R, 50,600 miles, $59,995

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, 42,500 miles, $53,995

2004 Coachman Aurora 3480 DS-F, 25,000 miles, $54,995

My question is why is the 2000 Itasca priced around the newer models? Is the Suncruiser a nicer trim package ?

Thanks again..
We owned one for about 6 years, I would say go drive it and look it over well compared to the others and I think you will see reason for the price. I would not pay that asking price, mid to low $40's is more like it's worth.
In used it is also important to note age and miles on the tires as they are a costly item to replace. We know the folks that bought ours and never a problem with the belly AC.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Well here is the update. On first appearance the 2004 Itasca Sunrise (Link) 32V came out the winner. This was based on floorplan and overall condition / cleanliness of the coach. I guess the split bath is nicer in some respects.
We also like the U-shaped kitchen area.

Many next steps with the first is to make a list of questions for the dealer to answer, along with taking the motorhome for a drive. How many miles is acceptable for a test drive? 20-30?

As far as my trade. I have a 2005 Jayco 23b. Do you think I am better off trying to sell it outright? How much more do you think I will get?
Here are some pictures. Click Here

Here are some of my questions. Please feel free to add your own that you think I should ask the selling dealer.

I cant thank the posters here enough.. Thank You.

Can you provide me a list of what options that are in the motorhome form the factory?

Do you know if the motorhome was part of the workhorse brake recall? And if so was it done?

What kind of warranty does Fretz provide?

Was there a inspection of the coach? If so or not can one be done to see what might need to be serviced and repaired?

Do you you have any maintenance records?

Generator hours?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Gene:

All good questions.

You should be able to determine the genset hours by looking at an hour meter on the One Place panel in the coach.

I'd want the dealer to install all new batteries. Check the age of the tires (DOT code on sidewall). If they are the original tires, they are nearing their 'age-out' date. Motorhome tires usually never get enough miles to wear out the tread before they get too old to safely use.

As far as trade vs. sell your existing RV, IMO you will most always come out ahead financially if you sell outright and do a straight-out purchase on your new rig. However, that will depend on your level of comfort/patience in dealing with 'tire-kickers' and all the other hassles of selling an RV yourself.

Using one of links in the top of this Winne forum, you can enter the serial number of that coach and see everything that Winnebago put on the coach at the factory. Obviously, stuff added by a dealer will not be included.

Not sure the actual miles in your test drive is as important as taking the rig on various roads. Drive it fast, drive it slow; take it on curvy roads and on the interstate. See how it handles when a big truck passes you.

Also, as you might expect, the dealer's price is higher than NADA average or low retail. NADA shows a range to $43 - $52K for that coach. In the current market, I would negotiate toward the low retail price or even lower.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Thanks SMLRANGER !

I have my list completed and will be sending it to the dealer.

Along with the questions I need to visit the dealer and spend more time with the unit along with one of the many checklists that I have printed off of the internet.

Thanks again for your comments on my posts.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to J&SW
Gene and Ginger,

We have an '04 Sunrise 32V. It looks exactly the same as the one you are looking at. We got ours in April of this year, and paid just under $50k, It had 26,000 miles. We just returned from our initial big trip. 4000 miles from the Central Coast of California up through OR, WA, BC, AB, Montana, and Wyoming before heading home again. It worked wonderfully well. Only problem that came up was a bad relief valve on the water heater (a far too common problem). It ran great in the high mountains, easily pulling our 07 CRV. Averaged about 7.5-7.8 mpg.

We love the split bath, as you can use the toilet in private. You can also use the open toilet door to close off the back half instead of the hanging sliding bedroom doors, so can get out of the shower in private from the front.

I'd highly recommend the unit. We love ours. Lots of storage. Not as much counter space as the DW would like, but the dinette table covers for more space. I'd think it might be a bit crowded with three dogs, but I'm guessing you are probably somewhat use to that.

We'd also highly recommend the automatic trans CRV as a toad. Light, drop dead easy to tow, especially if you have a good tow bar and brake system. We really like our SMI Stay-In-Play Duo. Hitch up and hit the switch under the dash and you're on your way. We got the CRV set up with a separate lighting system, and also ran a wire from the generator terminals through the main coach tow receptacle to keep the toad battery charged, so you don't have to worry about taking the fuse out of the CRV every time you tow. We use the Falcon All Terrain tow bar, and it is also a drop dead 3 minute hitch up.

Make sure about the Bosch brake recall. I'm guessing your potential rig needs the replacements. We are scheduled for ours in January. It is hard getting in right now, since soooo many rigs need replacements. there have been several other recalls on that unit, but as some have said, you can use the VIN# to check them out through several web sites.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any more questions.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the reply Jim & Sandy..
That is good news about your motorhome. We are going to do plenty of looking.
Here is the "Window Sticker" of the unit. Look like it has lots of options.
i am trying to attach the PDF of it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2004 Sunrise 32V.pdf (486.1 KB, 89 views)
Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to J&SW
Yes, that coach has a few more extras, significantly the navigation and 7KW generator. A few more little things too.

Looks great. Good luck in your search!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Yea, talking to them I do not see them moving much on price. I did find another one today. It is a 2004 Adventurer 33V. Asking $62K
Dealer link click here.

With talking to them today they tell me it is immaculate. I will need to see that for myself. It is on consignment and it sounds like the seller wants to really sell. I noted that one of the major items I am looking at are the condition of the tires. Two hours later the sales person called me back to say the owner would pay for 6 Michelin tires along with all the equipment (blue ox) to tow at vehicle. This would be good since we are thinking of that in the future.

They are offering me more for my trade, I still might try to sell it privately.

Looks like this unit has what the previous one we were looking at and a little more. Minus the 7K generator.

Are the Adventurers one of the nicer units ?

I see this has the basement air conditioning system. I have read some stories. I guess its good that my profession is HVAC so I would assume I could probably repair anything.

Funny story, on my was home I saw a Adventurer in a driveway, I stopped to talk to the owned. Found out he has a 2000 and has never had any problems with his basement air conditioning system.

Attached is this "window sticker"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window Sticker for 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 33V - pg. 1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	6557  
Old 11-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Here is a PDF of the 2004 Adventurer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2004 Adventurer.pdf (86.1 KB, 52 views)
Old 11-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

The Adventurer is Winnebago's top-of-the-line gas motorhome. They are nice units.

I've also had no problems with my basement AC/heat pump but some folks have. However, it is my understanding that most of the components for repair are readily available. For someone like yourself who is in the HVAC business, I would not have any concern. I believe the most critical issue is finding qualified folks who are willing to pull and work on the basement units. Again, you would not have have problem.

Some folks with larger coaches have complained that the basement AC cannot satisfactorily cool the coach in very hot weather...some have even added one roof AC unit to supplement the basement unit. However, I would not suspect that to be an issue with a 33' coach unless you plan to spend a lot of time in Arizona in the summer .
Old 11-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

We are going to look at another on Friday.

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 33V

Thanks again to all who have given me feedback on this thread.