Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVThere:
OK, I called Freightliner this morning with the last 6 digits of my VIN.

"John" was great. He took down my info, the name of the nearest FCCC repair facility to me and said he would call me back after he checked with the Winnebago liaison about whether I needed a fuel tank or just a new feeder tube.

About 15 minutes later he called back to say that he contacted my local repair facility and told them what parts to order (new fuel tank) and that I should call them on Monday to set up an appointment to get it done.

Was pretty painless! After dealing with Workhorse for the last 5 years, Freightliner is a welcome relief. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am glad the info here on IRV2 helped you solve your problem, you are welcome.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

I talked to Pat at Freightliner today and she said it was someone that talked to "Bob" the President of Freightliner. He personaly asked the engineers how to fix the problem and he himself said they would replace the tanks on certain units. I happen to meet him at Camp Freightliner but I didn't realize the problem belonged to FTL as I thought it was done by Winnebago. I think it goes to show that Bob and Freightliner continue to do the right thing. I will get mine changed in November; yeah!!!
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I am glad to see that the response to this slow fueling issue has been so positive.Since day one I have complained about the slow fill and found it ridiculous that I had to spend so long to get my fuel tank past 3/4 full. Before I got my tank replaced at Freightliner,I have had people waiting behind me while I was trying to get a full tank and some got out of their vehicles and approched me in disgust because it was taking so long and asked me what the problem was?
When I first got my coach, I dropped it off at Freightliner in Pompano Beach, Florida and they had it for four weeks and kept replacing fuel gauges because I said it only registered 3/4 of a tank, not knowing then that in actuality I had 3/4 of a tank. They were in discussion back and forth (so they said) with Freightliner in Gaffney and they all swore they knew nothing about this issue at that time. I found this hard to beleive. They (Freightliner, Gaffney) did finally admit there was a design flaw but then they started pointing fingers at each other (Winnebago and Freightliner) blaming it on each other until now. I want to say "Thank you Freightliner for stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility". I'm sure there will be a lot of happy campers.
Good luck to all of you with this problem, and may you all have speedy fuel filling after the repair. I am 100% happy and satisfied with my coach. At this time everything works 100%, and I am one Happy Camper!
Bob O
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Before I call, has anyone with a 36' been authorized to have the "fix" done? If so, then I'll give them a call on Monday and if not, then I'll just grow my beard while I refuel.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Got a call today from my local Freightliner shop and my new tank is IN! I am scheduled to have it installed on Tuesday. Thinking this was too good to be true, I even verified with the service manager that Freightliner was picking up the tab and he said YES.

You bet I'm going to stop at the first truck stop and fill that baby to the brim!

Thanks again for the info.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Norton:
Before I call, has anyone with a 36' been authorized to have the "fix" done? If so, then I'll give them a call on Monday and if not, then I'll just grow my beard while I refuel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Norton, why don't you give them a call and see if you can get a different (positive) answer than I did?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

My update - may be relevant to some:

I spent a bit of time on the phone with Freightliner today. We also have the infuriating fueling issue - first 70 gallons goes in fine - last 30 takes over 10 more minutes. Making the mistake of opening the 2nd filler door just makes a big mess.

Our '05 Vectra chassis was built 06/04 by Freightliner, and at least started on by Winnebago in 08/04. It was released to service as a factory demo in 02/05, and we purchased it with an MSO and 10k miles on it in 08/05.

According to Freightliner, our chassis is older than the "defective" tanks, and does not qualify for any sort of replacement. They suggested one of 2 possibilities:
A) The vent line is either kinked, flooded or plugged;
B) The attachment points for the filler necks (which is a Winnebago issue) is so low that they are backflowing.

Still no answers from this end

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Norm,

My 2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD was built by Freightliner in April of 2004. We have the same fueling problem. The last 10 gallons are very slow to fill and takes about 10 minutes. I think their tank problem apples to those of us manufactured in 2004.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Absolutely the 2004 has the problem. If I could get the tank out of the chassis, I could fix it very easily.

The problem, no doubt, is that the neck protrudes into the tank and has a very tiny hole located 1 to 2 inches above the end. When the fuel level rises to the end of the neck, additional fuel must displace the trapped air. The air in the top of the tank has to leak through this small hole to allow the fuel to fill the tank to capacity. The space above the hole is then what is left for expansion.

The relief hole is sometimes placed in the vent tube instead of the filler neck but the effect is the same. I chalk it up to overly conservative design by the engineers. It's done primarily to prevent a fast flow fuel nozzle from gushing fuel back out the neck before the auto shut off feature can react.

I had this same problem with a 1997 Buick Regal. Dropped the tank, enlarged the 1/64 inch hole to 3/8 inch and the problem was solved. Did the same with our GMC VanDura.

Seems like a waste of material to replace the entire tank but I assume that Freightliner doesn't want the technicians enlarging holes in the necks of tanks. It's easy to do, it just takes time to completely empty the tank, then blow air into it until all the fuel has evaporated and there are no fumes left. (Hello...California)
Old 10-04-2008, 02:17 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 Horizon and have the same fueling problem. I called FL and the Winnebago liaison was not there. I also called Winnebago and they did not seem to know anything about the issue or the fix. I will follow up with FL later.
ms911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Picked up my 2007 Tour today with the NEW gas tank. The fuel guage showed a little less than 1/4 so I went to the truck stop to fill up. By my calculations, I was estimating that it should take about 70 gallons before the auto shutoff of the nozzle.

Sorry to say that it only took 55 gallons before the nozzle shut off (of course with a spray of deisel fuel). My son inside checked the fuel guage and it showed right below Full. I trickled about 5 more gallons in.

So now I'm left to wonder:
Do I really have close to 100 gallons in the tank or is it closer to 85 gallons?
They obviously put a new tank in but is part of the fix a recalibration of the fuel guage?
Is there a 'reserve' of 15 gallons below Empty?
Is 85 gallons the limit to account for fuel expansion?

55 gallons on a fill up is better than what used to happen. It seemed 30 gallons would go in easy and the last 30 would take forever.

Did anyone else who had their tank replaced similar results?
Old 10-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Tom, When I had my tank replaced in June at Gaffney,Freightliner I arrived there on what I call fumes. The 10% percent warning light was flashing and I was getting nervous but we made it there ok. After the new tank was installed I asked the Technician if he thought I had enough fuel to make it to the Flying J down the road about ten miles, He said I had about 25+ gallons in the tank. My thinking is they have a reserve in the tank (but I didn't ask). By right i'm thinking if the 10% fuel warning light came on,I should have about 10 gallons, but I guess I was wrong. I asked them if the fuel gauge was reading right and they said yes.
(I feel comfortable and trust the Technicians at Gaffney in what they say and do) When I fill it up now the fuel gauge reads right at the full mark. One thing I do know is, the frustration and embarrasment of filling my coach is gone.
Hope this helps. Bob O
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I don't know about you guys, but my fuel warning light comes on at 20 gallons, not 10. The genset shuts down at 17.

You may with to check the programming on your computer. Mine came pre-programmed for a 90 gallon tank instead of 100. I reprogrammed it correctly and everything became wonderful.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:13 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Norm,

How do you check/change the programming for the fuel tank size?
Old 10-11-2008, 03:51 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

My fuel warning light is very inaccurate. I think I remember when it says 10% fuel left, there is really 20 gallons remaining.

I do know for a fact when it reports 2% (yes two percent!) fuel left, I still have 12 gallons remaining. Those were a few scary moments - VMSpc (engine monitoring software for a PC) was accurately reporting fuel level, but the FTL info center was flashing the fuel warning for about the 30 minutes or so we went under 10% fuel.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:56 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Tom,

On my Vectra, it's in the Freightliner Command module - left of the monitor screen and above the compass / thermometer unit; near the ignition key. I just played with the buttons until I got what I wanted - but I believe there is a small manual in the giant suitcase of documents.

When it was on 90, everything worked, just mothing seemed anywhere close to accurate, or logical.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

I went through the whole Freightliner book that lists out each menu option for the computer and there was no setting for fuel tank size. Perhaps they changed things from 2005 to 2007.

I don't have any trips planned until after Thanksgiving so I won't be able to further test the speed of the fill-ups.

But thanks to everyone who provided the information on this fuel tank fix! My first fill was WAY quicker so I encourage you to take up Freightliner on their good will and make the change. Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2008, 06:25 AM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Like "Norton" (page 3), I am curious as to anyone with an "06" 36' coach that has been granted a good will fix by FL. I intend to call Gaffney tomorrow but it would be nice to be armed with that info. No problem for me @ Flyin J RV island (small nozzle) but @ other truck stops it can run from aggravating to infuriating. We'll see what happens...

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #39
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chief:
Like "Norton" (page 3), I am curious as to anyone with an "06" 36' coach that has been granted a good will fix by FL. I intend to call Gaffney tomorrow but it would be nice to be armed with that info. No problem for me @ Flyin J RV island (small nozzle) but @ other truck stops it can run from aggravating to infuriating. We'll see what happens... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope it is a free replacement for you. Either way could you ask how much the replacement would be if not covered under warranty?

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:21 AM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Once I finally got my coach back home this is the first issue I wanted to deal with, on the trip home while in Vegas I stopped for fuel and could not get the tank full at all, very frustrating. Got home read this post and of course I called Freightliner with my last 6 of the vin# and they said my coach is not a tank issue it is a fill neck issue witch is a Winnebago problem -here we go again- so I guess I will call the good people at Winne and see what to do!

Are We Having Fun Yet!
Ben!

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote