Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #1

Thanks, Thanks and many Thanks to those who have posted their experiences on this Forum.
Bare with me as I set the scene.
September, 2007 SunFlower TT Preserve, California. Water Pressure high here.
Overnight with a cold gentle rain at dusk. Woke to ice all over the MH, Toad and Parking Area.
Noticed a water leak inside the Water Panel on disconnect.
Got underway to Fernly, Nevada, Desert Rose PA.
Hooked up and next morning tore into the Water Panel to find the Electric Hot Water Heater Winterization Valve leaking.
We are 'full time' and don't plan on Winterizing so we decided to eliminate the Valve. Went to the Fernly True Value. What a beautiful store. Soup to Nuts and Hunting Clothes to Pipe Fittings.
Asked a Clerk for directions to the Plastic Pipe Fittings Dept.,telling him of my problem and he says he has an Adventurer and knows what I need cause he did the same thing I was doing.
By-passed the removed Valve and Capped one line no longer needed and all is well.
Fast forward to Tuesday last, Hershey TT Preserve, Lebanon, PA. High Pressure water here.
Watching the Red Sox losing another Game and "Bang", something let go and we have no water.
Shut down at hydrant and next morning tear into the Water Panel and find that the line we capped off out in Nevada has blown the cap off. Easy fix, replace the cap. Apply water to system, no leaks. BUT!!!!! No Hot Water!!!!!
Puzzle, Puzzle, Toil and Trouble. Crawl under Water Heater where there is 30,000 miles of Dust and crap. reminder to pressure wash undercarrage some day. Plan on removal of Check Valves as suggested in Archival Posts on Irv2 Forum.
Reading Forum Archives as Red Sox lose another Game. Worried about having to crawl back under the grubby Chassis and work on Water Heater.
Read an older post that referenced a check valve in the Water Panel Compartment. Go outside at 1000 at night and see check valve. Hooray!...Got a good nights sleep, got up and went outside and attacked the Check Valve. Took one end off and the 'guts' of the check valve tumbeled out into the floor of the compartment. Reconnected the water line, tested the system, and Praise GOD and those who post on this Forum, all is well!!!!
Once again, another RVer saved by this Forum and the Family of Winni Owners that watch out for each other here.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #2

Thanks, Thanks and many Thanks to those who have posted their experiences on this Forum.
Bare with me as I set the scene.
September, 2007 SunFlower TT Preserve, California. Water Pressure high here.
Overnight with a cold gentle rain at dusk. Woke to ice all over the MH, Toad and Parking Area.
Noticed a water leak inside the Water Panel on disconnect.
Got underway to Fernly, Nevada, Desert Rose PA.
Hooked up and next morning tore into the Water Panel to find the Electric Hot Water Heater Winterization Valve leaking.
We are 'full time' and don't plan on Winterizing so we decided to eliminate the Valve. Went to the Fernly True Value. What a beautiful store. Soup to Nuts and Hunting Clothes to Pipe Fittings.
Asked a Clerk for directions to the Plastic Pipe Fittings Dept.,telling him of my problem and he says he has an Adventurer and knows what I need cause he did the same thing I was doing.
By-passed the removed Valve and Capped one line no longer needed and all is well.
Fast forward to Tuesday last, Hershey TT Preserve, Lebanon, PA. High Pressure water here.
Watching the Red Sox losing another Game and "Bang", something let go and we have no water.
Shut down at hydrant and next morning tear into the Water Panel and find that the line we capped off out in Nevada has blown the cap off. Easy fix, replace the cap. Apply water to system, no leaks. BUT!!!!! No Hot Water!!!!!
Puzzle, Puzzle, Toil and Trouble. Crawl under Water Heater where there is 30,000 miles of Dust and crap. reminder to pressure wash undercarrage some day. Plan on removal of Check Valves as suggested in Archival Posts on Irv2 Forum.
Reading Forum Archives as Red Sox lose another Game. Worried about having to crawl back under the grubby Chassis and work on Water Heater.
Read an older post that referenced a check valve in the Water Panel Compartment. Go outside at 1000 at night and see check valve. Hooray!...Got a good nights sleep, got up and went outside and attacked the Check Valve. Took one end off and the 'guts' of the check valve tumbeled out into the floor of the compartment. Reconnected the water line, tested the system, and Praise GOD and those who post on this Forum, all is well!!!!
Once again, another RVer saved by this Forum and the Family of Winni Owners that watch out for each other here.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #3

It's a good bunch here and I was helped quite a bit as a new RVer in 2005.

It seems that one of the unwritten 'laws' of camping is that if I don't use my water pressure regulator, the campground has high pressure. If I do...

We were at La Hacienda RV Resort in Las Cruces, NM (very high pressure) and watched as a hose to a coach that recently hooked up blew and the hose looked like a a demon-possessed entity as it flew all over the place. Very cool thing to watch.

BTW - our check valve located at the water heater has been growling for about a year. Winnebago will be replacing it at the GNR.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Chet:
..... Fast forward to Tuesday last, Hershey TT Preserve, Lebanon, PA. High Pressure water here.
..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey Chet, glad to hear you got your problem solved.

Boy, ever since I saw 120 lbs water pressure at a campground in Branson, I always assume the worst. I was casually hooking up my hose to the common pipe that's shared with the neighbor, when I notice this guy must have 1 ¼ inch water hose, I wonder where he bought that? Then I turn on the faucet & I see my hose expanding like never before. So I quick turn it off and relieve the pressure and get my pressure gage. Wow 120 lbs, You could fight fires across town with that force. I went next door and told the guy he had his new pressure reducer on the wrong end of his hose. Then he told me his story from the day before when the line burst inside his water compartment because he didn't have a pressure reducer. I think he had an inch of water all over the lower section of his 5th wheel.

More on topic, I must say posting my A/C blower problem earlier this week has proven that the talent & support on IRV2 is invaluable. I thought I had a compressor motor bearing going out, which I would never touch in a 100 years. But with IRV2 member "AFChap"¯ experience and detailed post, I was able to get my A/C running in just a few hours (be it a temporary fix), instead of waiting 4-7 days in the shop. We are fulltimers too and even one day without our coach is a big deal.

There's a WIT Virginia chapter group Peninsula Winnies here at 1000 Trails Chesapeake Bay & I've met a several of them. We've got one for sure, and probably 3 of them, signing up to become IRV2 members.

Horary for IRV2 !!!
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote