RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2019, 08:20 AM   #1

Forza 34T adding water to house batteries

Due to the low "ceiling" of the battery compartment which is also located 4' high the four group 31 batteries have to be removed to add water. Owing to artificial shoulders and modified wrists lifting/wrangling is beyond difficult.
Reading an article in the WIT newsletter a woman did it per instructions on the Forza Facebook Forum. Does anyone have access to this and can post or pm me this article?
Thanks in advance.

TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2019, 08:29 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Get yourself a battery watering system and install that. Flow-rite is one manufacturer and there are others. Battery caps in these systems prevent overfilling of the battery cells and filling is as easy as squeezing a rubber bulb.

A more expensive alternative is to change out your batteries to AGM. No maintenance required.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #3

Does anyone have access to the facebook Winnebago Forza Group?

I knew I'd get "helpful" replies, it's not what I need. I am not upgrading and the battery "caps" are flush with the top of the battery. Even if a watering hose kit could be adapted they are like $30.00 per battery and still could not gravity flow.

Any 34T owners out there?
Old 04-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree that adding water is a pain. I added two additional batteries so I have six to fill. As the bay is open to the road, the batteries also get quite dirty. I first attempt to wipe them clean. I then remove the caps for one battery and fill them with distilled water using a measuring cup. It is messy work and I know that dirt gets into the cells and I can't tell how much water is in.

Obviously I could use a better solution as well.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
I agree that adding water is a pain. I added two additional batteries so I have six to fill. As the bay is open to the road, the batteries also get quite dirty. I first attempt to wipe them clean. I then remove the caps for one battery and fill them with distilled water using a measuring cup. It is messy work and I know that dirt gets into the cells and I can't tell how much water is in.

Obviously I could use a better solution as well.
I use a turkey baster and a smalll mirror for the hard to see cells
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hmmm. I tried a turkey baster, but there isn't enough height to use it on the back cells. Maybe there is a way to put rubber tubing on the end of it so that it could be extended?
Old 04-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #7

Try this vs a turkey baster for really tight clearances
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-100ml....c100005.m1851
Old 04-10-2019, 05:28 AM   #8

Thanks guys, please keep the ideas coming. If you don't own a 34T you have no idea what a P.I.T.A. this is. Winnebago could have resolved this with AGM batteries, but nooooo.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #9

I cleaned out a large mustard or ketchup squeeze bottle and removed the flip top cover of the cap. I then inserted a plastic tube of the OD that was snug in the hole of remaining part of the cap. The plastic tube must go right to the bottom of the bottle and be long enough to easily reach the farthest battery filler (about a foot and a half). I fill the ketchup bottle with distilled water and that's usually enough to top up the house batteries and the chassis battery. (they are in the same bay so they get done at the same time). All you need to do is hold the end of the tubing slightly into the cell opening and squeeze the bottle. The first squeeze will burp it and then it's primed and ready to do the job.
Stan
Old 04-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #10

I'm still hopeful someone with access to the Winnebago Forza Facebook page will see this post and help all us Forza owners out.

There was a very recent post I saw that I thought was from WIT, but can't find it. There was a picture of a young woman crouched next to the 34T battery bank stating she had removed the batteries and added water mentioning the article as posted above. You really need to remove them to see inside the cells as no auto shutoff filler will fit.

I do not wish to join Facebook, but would like this article. It would greatly benefit all of us 34t owners.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #11

Subscribed, and not a facebooker either.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #12

Sorry to be "encroaching" on the Winnebago page. But, I am interested in the Forza series MH to upgrade. I have a Thor class c with batteries under the steps. I needed more battery capacity for our residential fridge. So, I managed to stuff 4 GC2 6 volt batteries under there. I used the Flow-rite RV 2000 pro fill with flush battery caps. I know the system is expensive to get into, but hey, you were able to buy that shiny new/slightly used MH, so I think you could spring for a quick fill system. My rear two batteries are absolutely not visible and this system works great! Oh, and you can save 25 bucks using an outboard engine gas pump/bulb. The kit comes with plenty of excess hose.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flow-Rite-R...cAAOSwwPRcG~uH
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #13

Very sweet, thank you. I bought it new. You didn't read the original post well. There is only 3" above the batteries and even if the install would fit the lines would be kinked at a 90 degree angle and no flow.

Again, any 34T owners who are connected to the Forza Facebook page who could share the info you have on removal technique/watering in place in a blind area. You could get a small mirror to see the first two rows in each battery then no head room to tilt mirror to see next four. Just gaining access to remove the flush fit caps isn't fun.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:09 AM   #14

With 3" above the batteries and you say a mirror doesnt work then use something like this https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Endo...30585348&psc=1 or similar and they vary in price and functions. Lots of uses for one once you have it.

Tags
batteries, house batteries, water