Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fresh water tank drain: 2019 Sunstar 29VE

I have opened the two water drain lines in the wet bay but cannot get fresh water tank to drain pass 2/3 full. I bought from dealer 1200 miles away and they say the drain plug is in another compartment but they can't tell which one and I have looked all over the coach.

I think I have the right drain lines, red & blue but I must be missing something. It is 2019 29VE Sunstar.
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Because the fresh-water drain port must be as low as it can be (to drain all the water in the tank), you'll find this valve, perhaps hidden from immediate view, at that floor of one of your basement storage bays. Look, for example, on the opposite side of your rig's wet bay.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:56 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
dkoldman, I assume you have a 2019 late model 29VE with the water pump in the wet bay and the new type water manifold.
There is not a drain line per say for the water tank. The manual states to run the pump to drain the tank.
A couple of things to try.
1 - open the antifreeze fill valve and see if water will run out the fill tube.
2 - remove the cover from the inline filter connected to the water pump.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
dkoldman, I assume you have a 2019 late model 29VE with the water pump in the wet bay and the new type water manifold.
There is not a drain line per say for the water tank. The manual states to run the pump to drain the tank.
A couple of things to try.
You were close. I had to get with Winnebago as dealer was no help, and stumped. I am a avid Manual reader, but in my case it was NOT the correct version of Manual for my new coach. Winnebago found the correct version and it did specify or append on to previous statement to Open Drain Valve in Service to turn on Water Pump (inside the coach). Wow!!!

At the end of the day, there is no water tank drain!!! I am trying to think of the merits as it may be some? Maybe not for poor water pump though One advantage could be speed as it comes out with a lot of pressure. Another is maybe you are less likely to make a mistake and drain full tank without knowing? Certainly less plumbing.

Winnebago states they will send me new Operator Manual. I hope so; as I have no idea of what else may be wrong or different.

FWIW;
Although not required to drain, your suggestions on a couple of things to try are on my list. Mainly because I want to see how it works. I got a gallon of antifreeze but really don't wish to use. I do want to know how it is done in the event of catastrophic freeze storm in Dallas.

I hope to clean fresh water tank with chlorine on regular basis so I will need to get the inline filter off for that.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #5

We have a 2017 29ve our water pump, drain and winterizing is located under the bed. Just lift the bed and there is a compartment lift that plywood piece and that is where the pump is located. Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnTerF View Post
We have a 2017 29ve our water pump, drain and winterizing is located under the bed. Just lift the bed and there is a compartment lift that plywood piece and that is where the pump is located. Hope this helps.

In my version of 2019 29VE there is no water tank drain!!!

Only way to drain is pump the water out of tank. The pump and and the waterline drains are all in the wet bay. Note: I said waterline drains... NOT tank drain. There is no water tank drain!!!

This may be new Winnebago design as the owners manual is wrong and dealer had no clue. I am suppose to get new manual and I can drain now if I so desire.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #7

Guess they must have made changes again. I had trouble with them telling me where all this was located as my 2013 Vista was all located out side in the wet bay. But the 2017 29VE totally different. At first they told me it was located in the wet bay but that was the blue and red lines only. But finally much to my surprise figured out with help, as it was a fairly new line at the time it was under the bed storage compartment. Plus when I remove the plywood the wood piece with the hole in it sure enough there is two valves one for the fresh water drain line and one to winterize and the plastic hose for the anti freeze. I can also see my water tanks need a flashlight though as they did not put a light. Let me know where they are hiding it this time just curious.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:24 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ronn, I appreciate the help. This is my first RV & first Winnebago; but simply put Winnebago's manual that came with my coach was WRONG. Winnebago is suppose to be sending me another. This is brand new 2019 29VE; and while I am not an expert, I promise I am typing what I see with my own eyes

[Ronn] At first they told me it was located in the wet bay but that was the blue and red lines only.
[Me] I had same thing told to me per manual, Dealer & Winnebago. But it did not drain and there is no tank drain valve!!! However, after research and getting the correct manual, the new revised manual for my coach says to turn on the water pump. When I do, I get water draining at a very high flow rate through the blue hose in Wet bay.

[Ronn] But finally much to my surprise figured out with help, as it was a fairly new line at the time it was under the bed storage compartment. Plus when I remove the plywood the wood piece with the hole in it sure enough there is two valves one for the fresh water drain line and one to winterize and the plastic hose for the anti freeze.
[Me] Yes my water tank is under the bed. When you remove the plywood opening you can see the tank and two blue hoses. One at the top, I assume incoming water for tank fill and one on side of tank near the bottom that must lead to the pump (that last statement is assumption on my part because I can't see where the hose runs to.) Regardless there is no valve!!!

[Ronn] Let me know where they are hiding it this time just curious.
[Me] In my view, per the manual I hope Winnebago sends me, and per the Winnebago rep who spent almost an hour trying to figure this out; there is no drain tank valve in my 2019 29VE.

We have had our coach 9 days now, and we just absolutely love it. I have ordered parts to get EC-30 AGS, Safe T Plus & Engine disconnect switch installed. I figure to find a RV tech to do the installs with parts I bought to save some money.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #9

I really like this coach now. I bought new thinking I wouldn't buy someone else's headache. But every time I called no one was knowledgeable about the coach. I was glad I had some experience with my prior Vista it was a great coach and at one point I really wished I had kept it. With this 29VE I was not happy as there were problems with my jacks after replacing two (one in warranty and one was just out of warranty) seems all is good now. The dealership was not very helpful for a brand new coach and under warranty and so that was an experience. You will have minor things but some of the stuff is easy to fix. First thing though is load your coach like you would for a trip and take it to an alignment shop. I took mine to the shop and had them put my Safe T Plus on and they did the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix)and tires aligned coach handles so much better in the wind and trucks passing. I cant believe you do not have a real drain that seems like a lot to put your pump through. And just because they tell you something don't take it for truth I was told so much by the dealership that just was not true!
Old 12-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #10

I got my book (operator's manual) out and where the winterizing section is it refers me to a section(7-16) that has the different motorhomes valve locations. Model 29VE does say where it is located. I remember looking for a large valve it is not but a little white handle. Do you have the tailgate pkg? because their is water drains there as well and the macerater for that is located in the wet bay. I use air to winterize my system that way I do not have to worry about anti freeze in my hot water heater. In my old righ I forgot and didn't turn my by-pass underneath the sink in the kitchen and pumped the anti freeze right into my heater. I remembered right a way and got it cleaned out but what a mess I could have had. Use the air very cautiously to much pressure could break your lines. Empty hot water heater, (usually change anode rod then to) drain your fresh water tank and empty waste tanks. Open all faucets shower, kitchen, bathroom, empty hot water heater don't forget to hold down the pedal in the toilet this takes two people as you use the air. When no more water is coming out then use anti freeze in the pea traps. Hope you get your manual and it will help you. A lot of this is just a learning curve but once you get used to your rig and have questions the people on here are great resources. Most of us have been there and done that LOL!
Old 12-06-2019, 10:41 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
During PDI one lever did not fully retract, they sprayed something and retract has not been an issue sense. On the way back to Dallas the auto level did not work no matter how many times I tried. I leveled manually and all was fine. I reported to dealer but Auto level has worked every time since. Maybe 7 times in a row? Dealer say sit may have had some air?

Did you have Safe T Plus and Alignment done at the same time? I have ordered the Safe T Plus. Debating on whether to try to do myself pr pay someone to install. Tad consfuing becausing you must center the Safe T Plus and also have chassis align. Any suggestions?

I don't want to offend or ruffle feathers but I am not going to do the CHF. Ny short answer is Ford does not recommend so I just stop there. I drove this coach 1500 miles on maiden trip back to Dallas and it drove well. Dealer & Winnebago all say the Safe T Plus is nice mod to have for safety reasons.

Remember they didn't tell me I had no darin tank. In fact just the opposite. I told then (deaker / mfg) I did not have one because it was NOT where the manual said it would be'

Later they confirmed no valve. Th current version of manual of the model clearly tells you have to drain tank. I hope get the new manual.

My sales rep make the dealer shio shine.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-06-2019, 10:55 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I got my book (operator's manual) out and where the winterizing section is it refers me to a section(7-16) that has the different motorhomes valve locations. Model 29VE does say where it is located. I remember looking for a large valve it is not but a little white handle. Do you have the tailgate pkg? because their is water drains there as well and the macerater for that is located in the wet bay. I use air to winterize my system that way I do not have to worry about anti freeze in my hot water heater. In my old righ I forgot and didn't turn my by-pass underneath the sink in the kitchen and pumped the anti freeze right into my heater. I remembered right a way and got it cleaned out but what a mess I could have had. Use the air very cautiously to much pressure could break your lines. Empty hot water heater, (usually change anode rod then to) drain your fresh water tank and empty waste tanks. Open all faucets shower, kitchen, bathroom, empty hot water heater don't forget to hold down the pedal in the toilet this takes two people as you use the air. When no more water is coming out then use anti freeze in the pea traps. Hope you get your manual and it will help you. A lot of this is just a learning curve but once you get used to your rig and have questions the people on here are great resources. Most of us have been there and done that LOL!
I have tailgate package. Waterline drain valves for it is on passenger side of coach. Unrelated to water tank short incoming water to sink.

I have purchased a gallon of RV antifreeze but hope to never use. I plan to drain tanks and blow with air with my compressor. I can adjust the air pressure so not worried about damage.

My heater bypass is under sink as well. Need to remove 4 screws to get access.

I will wait to see if I get intolerable smells before adding RV antifreeze to p traps. Even if smells are bad may wish to let it air out?

I have two questions that dealer is stuck with.
1. What is hole above the steering column for? It is about the size of a dime?
2. Do the coaches come with mats? There is pad underneath driver's feet, but it is cracked.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #13

When DW and I picked up our coach our trip home was great stayed over night in it everything worked great! But two months later on the first real trip the back jack failed so out of level almost fell getting out of bed that morning. I had trouble retracting the jacks actually had to call and they walked me through how to retract using a sissor jack glad I had one from my toad. The fluid level dropped and I got to listen to the bells going off all the way home. So was not a good time for sure and loss of use was miserable I wanted to use my new coach. Now I carry fluid just in case so watch those jacks. The second failed at home a year later was getting ready for a trip testing systems and noticed the leak on the front jack so had that jack replaced. But DW and I really do like this coach and the layout and have taken some great trips. The outside kitchen is really nice. I did not get mats in the motorhome I had purchased mats for my old MH so was able to use them in the new one. And you asked about the hole on the steering wheel. Yes I have it don't know what it is for either. I suggest putting the Safe T Plus on and have them align same time. I had the Safe T Plus on both my rigs really does make a difference. The CHF is just a personnel thing. Hope you get your new manual soon and it helps locating the drain if you have one.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hope you get your new manual soon and it helps locating the drain if you have one.

Ronn, despite conventional wisdom; and your reluctance to believe, my model 2019 Sunstar 29VE does not come with a drain valve for the water tank. Yes it was an observation I made originally, and was hoping someone could tell me where it was.... thus this thread. However, I later would talk with Winnebago who confirmed the only way for me to empty my fresh water tank is to pump it out I have to open the blue low point waterline drain in wet bay, turn on the pump and there she blows Winnebago further stated that the need to use the pump was in the manual, but NOT the brand new manual that came with my 2019 29VE. Winnebago is to send me new corrected manual as there may be other things wrong with the version I have? So short of modifying plumbing, if my water pump goes out; I cannot drain my fresh water tank. But if an emergency persisted, I could just disconnect the input to the water pump and let it spew in the bottom of the wet bay.

Now my take on why the above... and this is just a newbie talking; so I would love someone to provide a different perspective. Winnebago may have wanted to get the water pump out from underneath the bed due to noise? In our 30 ft boat that was very annoying to us, and I don't hear very well. It may also drain a lot faster? ( I have no proof; but it comes out really really fast with pump on), and of course my favorite; it prolly saves Winnebago about $5 and some employee may have got a $1,000 employee bonus for a productivity cost improvement

Tags
fresh water, tank, water