Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Fridge dilema

2 questions for the "All Knowing" members:
I have a 00 Winnebago Adventurer with a Dometic side by side fridge- freezer. Can anyone tell me what the 2 toggle switches just inside the fridge compartment on the upper part of the door frame operate?
I had my RV plugged in for a while and have to defrost the freezer upper portion. Any ideas on how best to do this?

As always...your assitance is appreciated!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #2

Are they toggle switches or spring loaded switches? I have the same refrig and the two spring loaded switches on the upper frame inside are the switches for the interior light, one for each refrig door.

For defrosting, I turn the refrig off and place folded towels on the bottom of the freezer and then place pans/bowls of hot/warm water on the towels for 20 or so minutes. I sometimes have to repeat the procedure. The heated water helps melt the ice and the towels protect the floor of the freezer and soak up the melted ice.

Hope this all helps

stik
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know that old question: Does the light in the Fridge go out when you close the door?

Well, you may have noticed a lever operated spring switch, likely near the light and if you push the lever, as the door does the light does indeed go out.. UNLESS.

One o those switches is labeled LAT (Low Ambient Temp) and if you toggle it the light DOES not go out..

The reason: The added heat causes the Fridge to work more often and this keeps the freezer frozen.. Absent the added heat in the fridge, Ice cream melts up top.

The other switch may be a HIGH HUMIDITY switch, this operates an electric heater element in the seal area to prevent condensation at this point.

I recommend keeping both off less needed,, Both are described in the owner's manual.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:16 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
2 questions for the "All Knowing" members:
I have a 00 Winnebago Adventurer with a Dometic side by side fridge- freezer. Can anyone tell me what the 2 toggle switches just inside the fridge compartment on the upper part of the door frame operate?
I had my RV plugged in for a while and have to defrost the freezer upper portion. Any ideas on how best to do this?

As always...your assitance is appreciated!
i have an upper freezer so this may not work for you unless you can find a very small skillet.
i use an electric skillet, pour 2 quarts of filtered water in it, and set it in the bottom of the freezer on about 185 degrees with the fridge turned off. it takes about 20 minutes to melt the ice. i sop up the water in the bottom of the freezer with sponges. i full-time and defrost about every 4-5 weeks.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Thanks All. Fridge defrosted. Ready for a new batch! LOL.
When I bought my unit, it didn't come with an owners manual and when I looked at the manual online for the Dometic Fridge, it didn't speak of the two toggle switches inside the door.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge