Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Front tv powered from Inverter

2004 Adventurer

A few years ago, some poster on here was thinking that the premature failure of his front tv was due to using it while powered from his inverter. Is there any thinking from you folks why that should/should not be true, any personal experience?.....rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #2

While anything is possible, it's unlikely that the simple fact that the TV was powered by "an inverter" lead to the untimely death of the TV. I have a 2002 era Heart 2000W MSW inverter in my coach it worked fine with several analog TV's as I worked on upgrading and it is now running two HD flat screens which we have had in place for several years. It also powers all of my Hughesnet equipment, DirecTV DVR, HP printer, etc. all without incident and has done so for many, many years.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I aree with Bill. I've been using inverters for about 20 years and haven't experienced electronics failure do to the inverter. For what it's worth I'd suspect a power surge at some RV park as more of a problem than an inverter.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to agree with Bill here... I am most likely the strongest opponent of MSW inverters here in the forum.. I preach the joys of TSW inverters all the time so here is my take on it. And I just thought of how it could be related (But the relation is sort of a joke)

TSW inverters are as clean, or cleaner (usually cleaner) than what comes out of the wall in your house.. I mean it is pure sweat sine wave power. NO if's ands or butts about it. No noise either. Just a clean sweet tone.. Like when my daughter plays her flute.

Mains power is rarley that clean (But can be which is why I say "As clean as or cleaner" I mean you can't get better than perfect)

MSW's on the other hand are basically square waves and have harmonics extending well into the Televison (Or even satellite) frequency range.. Now most of them have SOME filtering to prevent those higher frequency harmonics from getting out of the box. Some don't do too good a job.

This can cause all kinds of issues with wavy pictures, humm, sparklies, noise, and in some cases "I'm not going to work"

What it can not do.. Is harm the TV

So, How can using an inverter lead to early death?

Well, let's say the TV has 10,000 hours of operation before it dies

With out and inverter you can only run when running the Generator or on shore power So it lasts 10 years

WITH the inverter you can keep running in the boondock site after "Quite hours" when you kill your generator so you wear it out in five

I told you it was a joke.

Now what CAN kill it faster?

Well, Generators come in basically 3 flavors

Inverter generators like the Honda or Yahama ******i units (note the ending I) these are TSW inverters, read what I said above about TSW inverters..

Quality generators like the Onan Emerald Gold with very low distortion and nearly perfect power These are often cleaner than the power lines, but more likely to be "Roughly the same"

Cheap "Contractor" units.. I have seen the output waveform from some of these on a scope and frankly it is scary, Spikes can easily hit hundreds of volts and this can quickly fry the power supply in a television.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the quick and informative replys Guys. I will be taking a couple of grandkids "off the grid" for a few days this summer, and wanted to use the tv's while doing so. thanks again, ...rgr....
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote