Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Front wheels raised to grease?

How many of you who do your own greasing raise the front wheels off the ground to grease the wheel fittings? I have been doing this on my 2002 Freightliner xc chassis but it is alot on extra work. I have an air compressor grease gun. Thanks. Rkl
Old 07-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I raise mine off the ground when I grease the front. I know they say not to but I use the leveling jacks to make it easier. I also use jack stands after I get it raised for safety.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

I need to ask Why would you raise it up to lub it ???? There is only a film of grease Between the bearing and the race.. as most Wheels are tightened up . Nildly then backed of to the First Key hole.. Cutter pin installed; Job done.. It has worked For me in 3 differant gerages 1000 of services.. (take the weight off the wheels, thats a new one for me . as when the unit rolls down the road. the wheels are on the ground. Or shopuld be))
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I jack my front wheels off the ground to lube the king pins. Always. This allows the lube to cover all the pin & axle.
DeBUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I need to ask Why would you raise it up to lub it ???? There is only a film of grease Between the bearing and the race.. as most Wheels are tightened up . Nildly then backed of to the First Key hole.. Cutter pin installed; Job done.. It has worked For me in 3 differant gerages 1000 of services.. (take the weight off the wheels, thats a new one for me . as when the unit rolls down the road. the wheels are on the ground. Or shopuld be))
I believe the OP is asking about lifting the front of the coach when greasing the king pins, (NOT the wheel bearings).
I always lift the wheels off the wheels when greasing the king pins.
BTW, Speedco will do the same at no charge when lubing the chassis, (but ONLY if you ask them to).

However, if you are re-packing the the front wheel bearings you MUST lift the wheels of the ground, (there is no other way yo get the bearings out).......
If you have oil bath front hubs the oil can be sucked out and replaced with Lucas Hub Oil without lifting the weight off of the wheels/tires.

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBUSK View Post
I jack my front wheels off the ground to lube the king pins. Always. This allows the lube to cover all the pin & axle.
THAT'S the primary reason to raise the unit for greasing the front end. It has nothing to do with the "wheel bearings". That's a whole separate issue. Many times there is a "bind" on one, some, or many of the greasable components if the weight of the vehicle is left on the tires/wheels/suspension.

So, much of the time, raising it relieves the pressure on some or all of those components. By raising the coach, there is less strain on many of those components and the grease has the ability to completely coat what's needed in each and every one of them. By components I mean, King pins, tie rod ends, drag links, steering knuckles, and anything else that may be related to that front end.

Sometimes, you can do a complete lube job without the raising of the coach or front end and, all the components receive grease just fine. I've done it both ways. I have no problem taking the effort to raise the coach/front end. I can do it with the jacks or, I've got a series hydraulic jacks hanging around that will lift the frame etc. just enough to take the pressure off the system.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I take the weight off the front with the jacks - otherwise the lower zerks will not take the grease.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

When I had my Henderson Suspension System installed, they recommended taking the weight off the front end when greasing. I don't do my own service, but I do raise the front end with the leveling jacks when getting service.