Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Within the first year we owed our Brave the slide toppers began to disintegrate. Then last July in South Dakota, the vinyl completely delaminated during an overnight wind storm. I spent the better part of the next morning picking up the white vinyl flakes allover the camp ground. Needing replacements, I called A&E after obtaining the part #'s from the Winnebago parts list for both toppers. A&E said they could not reference the Winne numbers and I would have to call Winnebago. Next I called Winnebago and they said all they had was the numbers I had given A&E. Second call to A&E and now they said they needed the dimensions, which I preceded to give them. They then said they did not make slide toppers that matched those dimensions. They then told me that the A&E part #'s were located on the mounting flanges. Back to the MH and up the ladder. Found part # for the lager slide topper and then proceeded to the smaller one. Guess what; yep the same number was present on both sets of flanges. Called A&E once again and this time was not going to take anything but the correct part numbers before hanging up. Again I was told they could not help because A&E did not manufacture topper to those dimension. Being stubborn I told the tech that was not an acceptable answer because that was the dimensions both I and Winnebago recorded and could I please talk to someone who may be in a better position to help. I was told that no one was currently available, but I was given the e-mail address for someone who seemed to fit my requirements. Now, I switched gears and went the e-mail route. After several attempts I finally got what I needed. The first few e-mails just rehashed the phone conversations until I just asked to be put in touch with the PLC (Production Logistics Coordinator) at the producing facility. I know WBI would have ordered using their part numbers and A&E would have then entered their own numbers. I was told they would do so for me and the next morning I had the A&E part numbers for both the replacement assembles and /or fabric. Yes, they do not match any of the part numbers in the A&E catalog. Now finally next week we will be having the new topper fabrics installed. I won't even bore you with the details of our failed attempts to have replacement fabrics made locally. Oh, the guys at Camping World said they have had numerous problems with the slide toppers they order for Winnebago's as they are always too wide. I will let you know if all my frustration payoff and I get direct replacements with the correct widths.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Within the first year we owed our Brave the slide toppers began to disintegrate. Then last July in South Dakota, the vinyl completely delaminated during an overnight wind storm. I spent the better part of the next morning picking up the white vinyl flakes allover the camp ground. Needing replacements, I called A&E after obtaining the part #'s from the Winnebago parts list for both toppers. A&E said they could not reference the Winne numbers and I would have to call Winnebago. Next I called Winnebago and they said all they had was the numbers I had given A&E. Second call to A&E and now they said they needed the dimensions, which I preceded to give them. They then said they did not make slide toppers that matched those dimensions. They then told me that the A&E part #'s were located on the mounting flanges. Back to the MH and up the ladder. Found part # for the lager slide topper and then proceeded to the smaller one. Guess what; yep the same number was present on both sets of flanges. Called A&E once again and this time was not going to take anything but the correct part numbers before hanging up. Again I was told they could not help because A&E did not manufacture topper to those dimension. Being stubborn I told the tech that was not an acceptable answer because that was the dimensions both I and Winnebago recorded and could I please talk to someone who may be in a better position to help. I was told that no one was currently available, but I was given the e-mail address for someone who seemed to fit my requirements. Now, I switched gears and went the e-mail route. After several attempts I finally got what I needed. The first few e-mails just rehashed the phone conversations until I just asked to be put in touch with the PLC (Production Logistics Coordinator) at the producing facility. I know WBI would have ordered using their part numbers and A&E would have then entered their own numbers. I was told they would do so for me and the next morning I had the A&E part numbers for both the replacement assembles and /or fabric. Yes, they do not match any of the part numbers in the A&E catalog. Now finally next week we will be having the new topper fabrics installed. I won't even bore you with the details of our failed attempts to have replacement fabrics made locally. Oh, the guys at Camping World said they have had numerous problems with the slide toppers they order for Winnebago's as they are always too wide. I will let you know if all my frustration payoff and I get direct replacements with the correct widths.

2004 CR-V EX
Old 09-07-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Did you have to pay for the toppers?

I ask because a friend with a 2003 Flair told A&E he had heard about them having some problems with bad material and even though his toopers were out of warranty he thought they should cover it. They agreed and and told his dealer to replace them.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Geeche, been there done that. Just PAID my local RV repairman, ERIC RV in Virginia Beach
to order the two slide topper for a 02 winnie adv. from STAGPARK.
Read either here or RV.net that STAGPARK had a quality replacement.
And the price was $330. installed, ERIC was maybe 40 or 50 dollars higher, but what the
ha!!! He said they were a quality replacement and I would be happy with my purchase,
(of a pig in a poke)I hope I am, happy that is!!!!TENN.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Clay & Tenn,

No, A&E did not offer to pay for the replacements. Even at the end I got the impression that I should just be happy that they got the part #'s for me. However, in the future I will not be purchasing any of Dometic's many products if a suitable alternative is available. I had not come across Stagpark or I would have contacted them. I did contact Carefree of Colorado but they too said that a direct replacement was not available in the sizes Winnebago used. While, Dometic (A&E) is at the bottom of my list of customer driven companies, WBI is also not going to anytime soon receive a gold star for customer service from me.

Geechee

2004 CR-V EX
Old 09-08-2006, 03:51 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I also just replaced both of my slide toppers. Rather than mess with A&E or chasing down Winnebago part numbers, I also just ordered the Stag Parkway "Slidout Awning Universal Replacement fabrics". The toppers were actually labeled with Carefree's name when they came in and are made with a sewn hem on the edges rather than just being cut like the original. They seem to be a much better quality than the A&E.

Stag Parkway is the company that puts out the standard 1" think RV accessory catalog that the dealers all carry.

Here is a image of the catalog page with the Universal Replacement Slide Toppers

Ordering was super simple. All you need to do is get measurements of your exisiting topper, and they'll make an exact replacement. Since they are made to whatever dimension you tell them, they are the exact correct width. Mine came in in 4 days after ordering.

You can order them from a local dealer and have them installed, or even get them from RVUpgrades, the forum sponser. It took me just about an hour to replace both toppers myself.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Joe, thanks for the information. Even though I don't need anything now, it will be a good reference should I need this item in the future. Thanks again... FrankieJ

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Joe-K,

Thanks for the feedback. I should have posted an inquiry instead of wasting my time with Winnebago & A&E. Well, hopefully this old dog can learn from his mis-steps.

Geechee

2004 CR-V EX
Old 09-08-2006, 07:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hey Guys,,Smlranger, replaced his fabric thru a local RV man who used Stag Parkway. He said it was heavier and he was super pleased with the whole deal.

Yes A&E had some problem fabric. Mine (03) delaminated and they replaced it . Can't remember whether it was in warranty or not, but I didn't pay.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:08 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Jimmy.....you can believe that if you didn't pay it was warranty...

Either that or there's a picture of you in the post office!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:23 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Plese excuse me for not expressing myself in a competant manner.
What I meant was I don't know if the COACH was still under warranty when the topper was replaced or whether the warranty period was over. There could be a picture of the coach in the post office.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

May first contact with A&E was just after the warranty period (1 Year for Toppers) had passed. They did acknowledge that they had a problem with delimitation, but offered no assistance. They said if I was having the same type of problem with the awing, then the warranty (2 Years) would have covered the replacement cost.

2004 CR-V EX
Old 09-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Been there done that, tried about a year ago to get them covered under warrenty no luck. Have been using white duct tape from Walmart.
Finally decided to get them replaced. Send an email to customer service at A&E they send me the replacement parts catalog for my model. Used the numbers from the awning tubes to get the replacment part numbers, sent them to Lichtsinn Motors RV, had a quote back within the hour for replacement fabric. $173.17 for the front and $97.54 for the rear. Placed an order and they are on the way. Plan on replaceing them myself. I will let you know how it goes.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We now have the New Slide Toppers installed. It appears that all the phone calls and e-mail correspondence may have paid off. They are the same size and color as the OEM ones. Still wish I had known of the Stagpark option as the new A&E do not have seamed edges. Time will tell if they will last any longer then the originals. Only problem so far was that we had to returned to have the larger topper retighten after two days of use.

2004 CR-V EX
Old 09-16-2006, 11:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Wow, is this my lucky day. I ripped my topper last weekend and was wondering what was the best route to fix my problem. You guys did all the leg work for me. Thanks for all the great information...Happy camping.

Bucks County PA
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

JJHamick,

Most peoples don't last long enough to get ripped. How did that happen? Don't buy the A&E, I wish I had gone with the Stagpark ones.

Geechee

2004 CR-V EX