Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Full Wall Slideout Issue

I have a Winnebago Sightseer 33c and my driver’s side slideout is giving me trouble. After hearing groaning while bringing the slideout in or out, the cabinet trim under the refrigerator has broken.

Apparently the bottom of the slide was dragging on the floor as the slide was going out on an angle top to bottom.

Camping World indicates that the slide is aging and sagging over time. All alignments, bearings, motors check out. They are recommending removing ¼” of the base of the cabinets to remove any potential source of contact and that should fix me. They say that they have seen this many times and this is the fix.

Sounds kind of hokey to me. Is that the appropriate action?
scharfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it were me. Id get a 2nd opinion. Call Winnebago tech line and see what they say. That sounds really shady.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #3

I also would call Winnebago tech line to see what they say. The number for customer service is 866-311-7133 and see what they say. I don't see where you are from, but if you can take it to Forest City, it would be well worth the trip.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfm View Post
I have a Winnebago Sightseer 33c and my driver’s side slideout is giving me trouble. After hearing groaning while bringing the slideout in or out, the cabinet trim under the refrigerator has broken.

Apparently the bottom of the slide was dragging on the floor as the slide was going out on an angle top to bottom.

Camping World indicates that the slide is aging and sagging over time. All alignments, bearings, motors check out. They are recommending removing ¼” of the base of the cabinets to remove any potential source of contact and that should fix me. They say that they have seen this many times and this is the fix.

Sounds kind of hokey to me. Is that the appropriate action?
I have a 2010 Sunova 33c. The slideouts are configured the same as the 2014 except for the motors and mechanism. The large slide on the drivers side has rollers under it (four if I remember correctly). If those rollers are there and functioning properly, the slide cannot and will not sag. All of the weight of the slide is carried by the rollers. I would not go chopping the bottoms off of cabinets.

I would have the rollers checked out by someone who knows what they are doing, as mentioned by others, preferably by the Winnebago factory either in Iowa or Oregon.

The slide could also be tipped out at the bottom causing the cabinets to drag on the floor. This would indicate a problem with the slideout arms and the vertical alignment, however you say that the alignment is good, so that eliminates that.

Again, this is something that is best addressed at one of Winnebago's factories unless you can find someone who really, really knows their stuff.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After four different dealers made unsuccessful repairs to our 2014 Itasca Sunova 33 (same model as yours) slide out we had the factory do it this time in August. Now works perfectly and the low cabinet problem was addressed and fixed. Go to Forest City, IA to get it fixed properly. I would not trust anyone else to do it now. We were in and out in four days and we did not have an appointment, just went on the standby list.

One of the dealers to fix ours was a Camping World. Sagging because of age is BS. The tech in Forest City explained why that happens to me in detail and it is NOT age.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
After four different dealers made unsuccessful repairs to our 2014 Itasca Sunova 33 (same model as yours) slide out we had the factory do it this time in August. Now works perfectly and the low cabinet problem was addressed and fixed. Go to Forest City, IA to get it fixed properly. I would not trust anyone else to do it now. We were in and out in four days and we did not have an appointment, just went on the standby list.

One of the dealers to fix ours was a Camping World. Sagging because of age is BS. The tech in Forest City explained why that happens to me in detail and it is NOT age.
George-just curious here, what did the Winnebago tech say was your problem?

I had the gear teeth fail on the front slideout motor on my driver's side slideout. Made an appointment with the factory to have it replaced. They installed a whole new arm, motor, gears and all with no charge (I had an extended warranty). While there I had a few other minor maintenance items taken care of also.

I was there for two nights and three days. Very enjoyable experience. Customer service was top notch. Stayed in one of their RV spots across the street from the service center. Factory tour was great and had fun meeting other Winnebago owners from all over the country and Canada. Hope your experience was similar!
Old 09-19-2017, 05:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Called Winnebago

I called Winnebago Tech Service and they obviously said to not cut the cabinet. They wanted the dealer to contact them and they will have them complete an evaluation form requiring them to take various measurements. Once complete then the replacement parts can be identified. Glad I didn't authorize Camping World Island Lake to get the saw out. I'm 5 1/2 hours from Forest City. A trip there may be in my future. I have heard of a lot of success there. Thanks all.
scharfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfm View Post
I called Winnebago Tech Service and they obviously said to not cut the cabinet. They wanted the dealer to contact them and they will have them complete an evaluation form requiring them to take various measurements. Once complete then the replacement parts can be identified. Glad I didn't authorize Camping World Island Lake to get the saw out. I'm 5 1/2 hours from Forest City. A trip there may be in my future. I have heard of a lot of success there. Thanks all.
Thanks for the update and let us know how this turns out so that we can all enter it into our collective knowledge base!
Old 09-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #9

Another text book example of why NOT to EVER use CW.

Ok, so we have a 3 year old MH and the slide is now aging & sagging. Humm, sounds like some of my friends. Anyway, they recommend trimming 1/4" off the bottom of cabinets. So let's do the math shall we:
• 3 years old - cut 1/4"
• 6 years old....sagging more aggressively now...cut another 1/2"
• 10 years old...this baby is really sagging now, remove the whole bottom drawer assembly. Wife is wondering where she's going to put the utensils now. CW says, they have an accessory with suction cups to hang from the splash board behind the stove for that. Done this many times and customers love it.

Meanwhile back in the service center: Sir, excuse me, please step aside, I'll get this fixed for ya. Hey Bob.....bring me the saw will ya!

Unbelievable!
Attached Images

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #10

And yes, georgelesley...
The tech in Forest City explained why that happens to me in detail and it is NOT age.
Please, don't throw that out there like that and not tell us what they said. This is how we all learn.

Thank you!
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
And yes, georgelesley...
The tech in Forest City explained why that happens to me in detail and it is NOT age.
Please, don't throw that out there like that and not tell us what they said. This is how we all learn.

Thank you!
The tech said it was over center tip caused by the counter that sticks out. The slide tips down when the weight shifts to the inside. This causes misalignment to the gears and the rails. Ours used to dip low when closing, then come back up. That is how the problem can be diagnosed.

The solution was to install two additional rollers to prevent the dip. He also corrected MANY dealer installation mistakes. I would have to look at the work order to remember them all. It now stays at a steady angle when closing and the motors sound does not change in the process. No more poppping. The repair was paid for by Winnie under the good will warranty I mentioned and asked for consideration of. I also asked he check out the installation of the replaced mechanism since I had no confidence it was done corrrectly. Glad I did, good will warranty covered it all. Our total expense for the four days was $0.00 including the electric for camping there.

Will it fail again someday? Probably, everything mechanical does, but we now have confidence to take it on long trips in remote areas and actually use our slideout.

Any future major work on our unit will be done by the factory. Remember, fixing slideouts is most of what this guy does all day, everyday.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #12

We never regretted the trip to the Winnebago factory. Always a positive experience.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #13

We have been to Forest City for repairs twice. One time the coach was under warranty, but the last time the problems were fixed under there good will. I have been very pleased with the service provided. We had a full wall slide fixed, and the tech said it should be trouble free for many years. The people at Forest City are the best and I have had very positive experience with Winnebago.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
The tech said it was over center tip caused by the counter that sticks out. The slide tips down when the weight shifts to the inside. This causes misalignment to the gears and the rails. Ours used to dip low when closing, then come back up. That is how the problem can be diagnosed.

The solution was to install two additional rollers to prevent the dip. He also corrected MANY dealer installation mistakes. I would have to look at the work order to remember them all. It now stays at a steady angle when closing and the motors sound does not change in the process. No more poppping. The repair was paid for by Winnie under the good will warranty I mentioned and asked for consideration of. I also asked he check out the installation of the replaced mechanism since I had no confidence it was done corrrectly. Glad I did, good will warranty covered it all. Our total expense for the four days was $0.00 including the electric for camping there.

Will it fail again someday? Probably, everything mechanical does, but we now have confidence to take it on long trips in remote areas and actually use our slideout.

Any future major work on our unit will be done by the factory. Remember, fixing slideouts is most of what this guy does all day, everyday.
Thanks for the update! If mine ever starts acting like yours did, I will know what the problem is and take it to the factory.

Tags
slide, slideout