Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #1

Generator battery connection

Having trouble starting the generator on our 2015 Vista. When push start button sounds like bad battery when first push switch but recovers second later. Which battery is the generator hooked to chassis or coach?
sightseers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #2

Most are connected to the chassis battery bank. From your description it sounds like there is a loose/poor connection in the starting cables. FWIW, most 12V problems are the result of a poor/missing ground.
I would begin by insuring all connections are clean and tight. failing that, I would then measure resistance in both + and - cables, I have seen terminal/cable connections corroded enough to create problems. Begin at one end and work to the other, so nothing is overlooked.
Moving further, have your batteries checked for condition.
The starting switch on the dash only powers a solenoid, it's condition should also be verified.

Those things cost nothing but time, if none are the culprit, then it's time to have the generator starter and solenoid checked.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:28 PM   #3

Most gas engine MHs hook the generator to the house battery. The generators don't have charging systems and depend on the house battery converter to keep the battery charged.

If its doing what you describe, check the connections on the battery. You have the classic symptoms if dirty or loose cable ends.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Likely connected to house batteries. What is the voltage of the house bank - could be low. You likely have a boost/aux switch that tied the house and chassis batteries together for emergency start of generator or propulsion engine.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:15 AM   #5

The generator starting system is connected to the house batteries on both of my coaches as well. Focus on the condition of the coach batteries and the cables between the Gen Set and the batteries.

If all the cables and grounds check out, you can use jumper cables at the generator itself. If it starts up correctly on jumper cables then you have a wiring issue. If it doesn't start well even with jumper cables then you may have a starter issue.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:58 AM   #6

Chasing a similar gremlin, too.

My gen. starts from house batteries. But on occasion (now that the gen. is fixed, see my 'horror' story elsewhere) I still have an intermittent drop out of the entire 12V house circuit when I press "start". Have to recycle the house master 12V switch (off-on) to bring it back.

A work around that seems to be successful lately: Before priming gen., i.e. 30 sec pressing "stop", I click "stop" about 3 or 4 times (about a one-count, each), to toggle the relay. (yes I think the relay is fouled/weak/dirty and it needs a 'cleaning'...) Then I prime, click 1-2 more times for good measure, and crank/start. Am about 80-90% successful now. (vs about 30% prior).

Know I can diagnose the relays; just haven't... spring-time.

Tom
tsut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:00 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Something I found on my Onan Gas 4000 W generator when using it from the remote panel inside the coach to stop the generator ...

When you shut it down press briefly don't hold down the stop button until it completes stopping. When you hold down the stop button a long time it activates an engine prime feature. By holding down the stop button a long time during shut down I think you are activating the prime feature during shut down, flooding the engine and making it difficult to restart the next time you need it.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:36 AM   #8

Good stuff guys. I didn't realize holding the generator stop button down activated the prime feature. I always shut down by a quick push of the stop button. I will have to try the prime feature next time to see if the Gen lights off a little quicker.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:03 AM   #9

You, or someone near the generator, can listen for the fuel pump running when you hold the stop button. It may have a delay before it starts to prime.

I use it, If my generator sits for a few days or more. It refills the carb bowl, replacing the evaporated gas.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Good stuff guys. I didn't realize holding the generator stop button down activated the prime feature. I always shut down by a quick push of the stop button. I will have to try the prime feature next time to see if the Gen lights off a little quicker.
When attempting to start the generator cold you can push and hold the start/stop switch in the stop position. After a few seconds the light in the switch will flash to let you know it's priming the carburetor. Hold it another couple seconds then push the switch to the start position. If the generator does not start within 15 seconds release the start switch and go to the prime position again. Return to the start position and it should start within 5 to 10 seconds.

If the generator doesn't start on the second or third try it's time to let the starter rest and look a little closer for a problem. Continual cranking of the starter will overheat it and it will fail.

Tags
battery, generator