Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiba_Alex View Post
Here is the link. I'll be getting it the 8th of June in the morning and will have the rest of the day and the weekend to go through everything.

https://www.i-35rvcenter.com/default...=xAllInventory
How old are the tires on that thing?

I would be very concerned about that and regular maintenance before I purchased it or took it any place.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
How old are the tires on that thing?

I would be very concerned about that and regular maintenance before I purchased it or took it any place.

Forgot to mention tires. Good catch

Look at the date code on the tires. If they are 2011 or older you need to consider replacing them ASAP. Regardless how the tread looks, RV tires 7 years or older should be the first thing replaced.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
A quick look at the link of this RV for sale shows a nice 37G in decent shape. It appears to have a slight issue with the slide awning as its a little saggy on the coach side leading edge. Not at all uncommon for a coach this age. The awning may have to be replaced some day to prevent water from getting on top of the slide. The passenger rear corner has some duct tape holding the corner trim piece in place. I would probably look a little closer at this and repair it correctly when you get a chance.

This coach is on the Ford F53 chassis. 6.8L V10 and a 5 speed transmission I believe. It should have plenty of life left in it. I would check to see if this chassis has had the Cheap Handling Fix done on it. You can google F53 CHF for hours worth of reading on the subject. There are lots of other things that you will want to learn about the chassis and luckily there is a Ford Chassis subforum here on iRV2.

As far as getting ready for camping, and Im sure these have been mentioned several times, i would get a nice folding rug for outside and a means to stake it down if it gets windy. You will need a couple of lawn chairs and a couple of outside tables. You will need a small BBQ grill. The Weber Q series (1000, 1200, 2000, 2200) is very nice. It is the most popular RV BBQ grill on the market for good reason. You will want to get a 12’ propane hose and the adaptor to connect your BBQ directly to the onboard propane tank of the rv. This eliminates the need for an extra bottles to schlep around or buy. Kits are available at every RV store in the nation and on Amazon. You will want to change out some of the 12v power ports for dedicated USB ports. In some locations you can just add the USB port right next to the 12v power port and tie directly in to the power supply feeding it. In other locations like the bedroom and the outside stereo just pull the 12v plug out and install a USB plug in its place and use the existing wiring, no mods needed.

We could go on and on but this will get you started for your first few outings.
Thanks AKIQPilot. There are some cosmetic things that I pointed out to them and they are fixing, awning included. It does show some wear, as it is a 17-18 year old coach. I think it is pretty good overall.
Shiba_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Forgot to mention tires. Good catch

Look at the date code on the tires. If they are 2011 or older you need to consider replacing them ASAP. Regardless how the tread looks, RV tires 7 years or older should be the first thing replaced.
They are putting new tires on it. That was one thing that I did not catch, but in subsequent talks with them they mentioned that the tires were old and should be replaced. I am splitting the cost with the dealer 50/50.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:23 PM   #19

Quote:
They are putting new tires on it. That was one thing that I did not catch, but in subsequent talks with them they mentioned that the tires were old and should be replaced. I am splitting the cost with the dealer 50/50.

Did you decide on tires already? Dont let them tell you the tires cost $500 each and your half will be $250. You can get a fantastic tire for that coach for under $300 each mounted and balanced. Way under $300.

You might consider dynamic wheel balancing each tire. It will add about $20 to each tire but the results are fantastic.

Let me do just a little looking.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Did you decide on tires already? Dont let them tell you the tires cost $500 each and your half will be $250. You can get a fantastic tire for that coach for under $300 each mounted and balanced. Way under $300.

You might consider dynamic wheel balancing each tire. It will add about $20 to each tire but the results are fantastic.

Let me do just a little looking.
The dealer figured it would be about $2200 for the full replacement, so about $1100 from me for 6 tires. Just got the text back from them. They ordered Toyo tires.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #21

There are lots of different tire options out there and just as many opinions as to which tire is the best. Both of my motorhomes came from the factory with Michelin XRV tires. These tires seemed OK at the time but the sidewalls cracked fairly quickly. When it came time to replace them I did a bunch of research and settled on the Toyo M154 tire. I wont claim the Toyo M154 is the best tire on the market for an RV but it is very close. Lots of other tires from Hancock to Continental and others are also good. The M154 is available in a 245 70r19.5 for about $315. That is about $120 each cheaper than the Michelin XRV.

Im only guessing you need a 19.5” tire based on the pictures. M154’s are available in 22.5” too.

I decided to go with dynamic blanching beads in my tires when I swapped over to the Toyos. IMO this is far superior to weights hammered onto the rim of the wheel. At about $20 per wheel this isnt a lot of money and the tire shop doesnt have to balance the wheel/tirewith wheel weights.

Here is some info on dynamic tire balancing beads.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/gallery1.php

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	204915
Old 05-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #22

Quote:
The dealer figured it would be about $2200 for the full replacement, so about $1100 from me for 6 tires. Just got the text back from them. They ordered Toyo tires.

Great choice and a very good price. They definitely treated you right at $1100 your cost.

If its not too late you might co sider the balancing beads. If the tires are already mounted then no big deal.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #23

Quote:
There are lots of different tire options out there and just as many opinions as to which tire is the best. Both of my motorhomes came from the factory with Michelin XRV tires. These tires seemed OK at the time but the sidewalls cracked fairly quickly. When it came time to replace them I did a bunch of research and settled on the Toyo M154 tire. I wont claim the Toyo M154 is the best tire on the market for an RV but it is very close. Lots of other tires from Hancock to Continental and others are also good. The M154 is available in a 245 70r19.5 for about $315. That is about $120 each cheaper than the Michelin XRV.

Im only guessing you need a 19.5” tire based on the pictures. M154’s are available in 22.5” too.

I decided to go with dynamic blanching beads in my tires when I swapped over to the Toyos. IMO this is far superior to weights hammered onto the rim of the wheel. At about $20 per wheel this isnt a lot of money and the tire shop doesnt have to balance the wheel/tirewith wheel weights.

Here is some info on dynamic tire balancing beads.

DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads

Dyna Beads and Accessories

Attachment 204915
Sorry, should have said the tire size. Yes, they are 245/70R19.5. The date codes were right around Sept-Oct of 2010 on the old tires. I have read some horror stories about getting cheap tires and read some horror stories about the good tires too. So it seems like $2200 is a good price range for six tires.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Sorry, should have said the tire size. Yes, they are 245/70R19.5. The date codes were right around Sept-Oct of 2010 on the old tires. I have read some horror stories about getting cheap tires and read some horror stories about the good tires too. So it seems like $2200 is a good price range for six tires.

Toyo M154’s are great tires. You will not be disappointed.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Maybe it’s just me, but unless the tires and batteries are pretty new I’d replace them upfront, day one. Take no chances. I’d have a full engine service and a full generator service. No telling when they were done last. Regardless of what the seller claims.

Depending on miles,I’d replace the shocks and brakes, too.

My wife would demand that the gray and black tanks were professionally cleaned and she’d demand a new mattress and maybe even to have the toilets replaced.

I’m sure there is much more like a professional cleaning inside and out.

Getting from a dealer? If so camp as close to the dealership as possible for 4 or 5 days to insure everything is working. The dealer will never be as accommodating as he is right after you purchase the RV
Old 05-30-2018, 05:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Maybe it’s just me, but unless the tires and batteries are pretty new I’d replace them upfront, day one. Take no chances. I’d have a full engine service and a full generator service. No telling when they were done last. Regardless of what the seller claims.

Depending on miles,I’d replace the shocks and brakes, too.

My wife would demand that the gray and black tanks were professionally cleaned and she’d demand a new mattress and maybe even to have the toilets replaced.

I’m sure there is much more like a professional cleaning inside and out.

Getting from a dealer? If so camp as close to the dealership as possible for 4 or 5 days to insure everything is working. The dealer will never be as accommodating as he is right after you purchase the RV
Hi creativepart:

I do plan on doing a full sanitizing of the fresh water tanks and cleaning of the gray and black water tanks. The mattress is also high on the list to get replaced as the mattresses that RV's usually come with are a sore back waiting to happen.

I didn't really think about the brakes, but they could be done too. Not sure when they were replaced last, but it wouldn't hurt.

As far as professional cleaning; lets just say there is nothing like an RV house warming with rags and cleaning supplies as the welcoming gifts.....

I can see the first few weeks being alot of cleaning, replacing and general maintenance type of stuff. The plan is to do a night or two at a local RV park, then do a few long weekends out into the wild.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #27

There is no bedroom slide so I believe your mattress will be a normal queen size. 60”x80”. As opposed to many RV queens which are 60”x75”.

Ive had great luck with the Thetford fresh water holding tank sanitizing kits.

Believe it or not liquid downey and lots of hot water is great for cleaning the black water tank. Ive restored several nasty ones for friends over the years.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:26 PM   #28

There were four things that really stood out for me that I liked about this coach:

Only one slide. May not be a problem and may just be paranoia, but I have always thought that the slides would let some air in so the fewer the slides you could have the better to keep air out and also to keep it in.

A regular sized mattress. Just gives you more options to shop for a new mattress than having to cut up a foam mattress to fit or getting an RV sized mattress for way too much money.

Washer/Dryer area. This was more of a really like to have. Having had enough experience with coin style laundry centers, I figured that I could get a decently nice combo unit and still break even within two years or so versus going to a laundromat.

Back half of the roof is empty. Really nice as I want to do a solar setup and having the back half of the roof bare is perfect for not having to size panels specifically for going in between vents or air conditioners.

Tags
advice, camping