Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Gray and Black Valves

I have always dumped black first then flush with the gray water. This new coach I have dumped maybe 5 or 6 times and always seem to have some stuff in the slinky when done dumping and could not understand why but would just rinse it out and be done. Well I bought one of those clear adapters so I can see what is coming out and I could not believe how clean and clear the black tank water was. That was until I pulled the lever for the gray water and realized that some idiot labeled the tanks backwards. Yep, nice stickers are opposite of what they should be. Good thing I got the clear piece so I could finally see why I was having that problem. It makes you wonder about some of the other things being built and assembled.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

my 2015 30J Cambria was also mis marked including the electric sensors. It was confusing. LOL
crh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I have always dumped black first then flush with the gray water. This new coach I have dumped maybe 5 or 6 times and always seem to have some stuff in the slinky when done dumping and could not understand why but would just rinse it out and be done. Well I bought one of those clear adapters so I can see what is coming out and I could not believe how clean and clear the black tank water was. That was until I pulled the lever for the gray water and realized that some idiot labeled the tanks backwards. Yep, nice stickers are opposite of what they should be. Good thing I got the clear piece so I could finally see why I was having that problem. It makes you wonder about some of the other things being built and assembled.
On our 2013 Adventurer the handle for the black water tank valve is BLACK and the handle for the grey (gray) water tank valve is GREY (GRAY).
Old 07-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Are the valves the same size Are they different colors
These are things we must pay attention to, but what a great catch
Yours must have been put together on a Tuesday after a 3 day weekend
Old 07-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

black tank valves are generally 3". Grey are smaller.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
black tank valves are generally 3". Grey are smaller.
On both our 2001 and our 2013 Adventurer all valves were/are 3" valves.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Both valves are the large diameter. Interesting though that I never even noticed, the gray tank valve is gray and the black tank is black. Too bad they are connected to the wrong tanks. Even the cute little stickers are gray and black. They sure did a good job color coding everything yet the knuckle dragger who installed everything could not get it correct.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
On our 2013 Adventurer the handle for the black water tank valve is BLACK and the handle for the grey (gray) water tank valve is GREY (GRAY).
That's the way our 2000 and 2002 Dutch Stars were too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2016 Sightseer 33C on order. Estimated completion date is August 14th. On my 2005 Sightseer 29R the gray water valve is on the left and the black water valve is on the right. I assume that the valve location is dependent upon the placement of the tanks and therefore can vary from MH to MH.

Now I have one more item to check when our new MH arrives. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I know which is which, just wish they worked. MH is back at the repair shop for 3rd time to replace the valves. Shop just keeps replacing cables. I assume the techs just don't want to open the plumbing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
I have a 2016 Sightseer 33C on order. Estimated completion date is August 14th. On my 2005 Sightseer 29R the gray water valve is on the left and the black water valve is on the right. I assume that the valve location is dependent upon the placement of the tanks and therefore can vary from MH to MH.

Now I have one more item to check when our new MH arrives. JD
That is the way my last coach was and that is the way this one is too, I now realize. I was thinking that the tank placement was different as you mention which is why the valves are different but not the case. Good luck with the new coach you have coming.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

If I remember correctly, a Boeing 737 had the cargo zone(s) fire or smoke detectors connected up incorrectly so that zone one made the warning lite for zone two come on and zone two made the light come on for zone one. No problem until the light came on for real and the crew sent the fire extinguisher stuff to the wrong zone. Messed up their day I would think.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #13

Our labels are correct on the outside but reversed inside on the monitor panel!! Not just as easy as switching some wires. I just made neat little labels for the inside with the correct grey black designation.
n5pht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:49 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I know which is which, just wish they worked. MH is back at the repair shop for 3rd time to replace the valves. Shop just keeps replacing cables. I assume the techs just don't want to open the plumbing.
It's time to get busy and replace the cable controlled valves with a power active upgrade. Depending on your valve placement it can take work but it's worth it. Place a Drain Master | RV Waste Management - Simpler, Safer, Sanitary Waste Valve or a Valterra EZ valve or Barker_AutoDrain Auto Drain Valve. I installed the Barker one on my FWD Black Tank and now I can dump from the Dump station without having to go around and open and close the valve on the passenger side.

Do it all your self and save money, it will take some work but well worth the headache when done.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

On my 10 year old rig, the grey handle is on the black tank valve and the black in on the grey.

How does that handle come off so I can switch them.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
It's time to get busy and replace the cable controlled valves with a power active upgrade. Depending on your valve placement it can take work but it's worth it. Place a Drain Master | RV Waste Management - Simpler, Safer, Sanitary Waste Valve or a Valterra EZ valve or Barker_AutoDrain Auto Drain Valve. I installed the Barker one on my FWD Black Tank and now I can dump from the Dump station without having to go around and open and close the valve on the passenger side.

Do it all your self and save money, it will take some work but well worth the headache when done.
I've never before heard of dump valve handles on the passenger side of a North American RV, that would be a real bummer.
There is one obstacle to doing that for my circumstances. Extended service contracts will repair/replace OEM equipment/appliances in an RV, they will not do so for aftermarket stuff. So if I install electric valves, which BTW I desire, they are not included in extended service contract coverage. A residential refrigerator installed aftermarket is not covered either.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:01 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Reliable changed my inside readouts in less than a minute. They got under the bed and clipped the wires and re-connected to the right tank. The tech told me this would be much easiest way.
crh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
On my 10 year old rig, the grey handle is on the black tank valve and the black in on the grey.

How does that handle come off so I can switch them.
Extend the handle and grab the shaft with pliers, the handle will unscrew. Just swap the handles.

They came that way on our rig also.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill jones View Post
Extend the handle and grab the shaft with pliers, the handle will unscrew. Just swap the handles.

They came that way on our rig also.
Thank You, I will have the pliers ready next time I dump.