RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #1

Ground Cable Not Connected to Anything

Hello. I just purchased a 2008 Voyage with the Ford V-10 engine. I have found a cable behind the battery box that is not connected to anything. It runs from the area behind the battery box and runs forward along the frame where it is connected to a post grounded to the frame. It is a heavy duty battery cable and has an eyelet on it.

I am wondering if this should be connected to the engine starting battery or one of the coach batteries.

I just replaced the engine battery and everything in the coach seems to work fine. The engine battery has a clamp type battery connector on the negative post.

Thanks

oldnewbie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnewbie22 View Post
Hello. I just purchased a 2008 Voyage with the Ford V-10 engine. I have found a cable behind the battery box that is not connected to anything. It runs from the area behind the battery box and runs forward along the frame where it is connected to a post grounded to the frame. It is a heavy duty battery cable and has an eyelet on it.

I am wondering if this should be connected to the engine starting battery or one of the coach batteries.

I just replaced the engine battery and everything in the coach seems to work fine. The engine battery has a clamp type battery connector on the negative post.
Thanks
oldnewbie22
I can't tell you where that cable should be connected...(or if it should be connected at all).
One never knows what changes/modifications have been made to a 9 year old coach...and why those changes where made.

Until you, (or someone else), determines what cable is for... (aka: why, where and if it should be connected)...DO NOT CONNECT IT ANYWHERE.

If as you say: "everything in the coach seems to work fine" it's probably no longer needed.

Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #3

I have found, with several motorhomes, that all electrical cables and connections provided by the chassis manufacturer are not always used by a every coach manufacturer. You may have just found such an "orphan" cable.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depending on the battery terminal.. I'd go with conneciton to the starting battery. The biggest current sucker on an RV is either the starter or the inverter.. The negative cable from the inverter will connecte direct to house batteries, NOT to the chassis.. So if that's a chassis cable it is for the starting battery.

May not be needed, but if it connects (if you have the right type of terminal) won't hurt. If battery terminals do not match.. May have been used for shipping only.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I looked at the 2008 Voyage Electrical Drawing and if you are sure it is the cable from the ground stud on the chassis that the engine ground is also connected to then it is supposed to be on the negative ground bar behind the step box by the batteries on the chassis . The diagram shows it on the same stud as the negative chassis battery cable and the negative coach battery cable.

You can find it yourself on the winnebagoind.com web site if you like.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:38 AM   #6

Appreciate your effort. Thank you.

oldnewbie22 is offline   Reply With Quote