Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2006, 05:39 AM   #1

Well you would know it, received our new Itasca Meridian and made a trip to Medina, Texas to join in the fun of a Texas hill country motorcycle ride and got caught in a hail storm.

We took delivery on our new coach on Feb. 24th, made one trip to Nashville to my son's home and then made our second trip to the Kerrville/Medina hill country on April 20th. While parked in the Koyote Ranch RV park at 1:30 AM on the 21st of April we were awaken by a golf ball to tennis ball size hail storm that lasted all of 2 1/2 to 3 minutes but believe me when I tell you it sounded like a crew of roughnecks with sledge hammers working over the top of the coach.

The bad part other than the damage sustained was the fact that it was dark and you could not assess any of the damages until daylight that morning. Needless to say there was plenty of damage to the tune of almost $5,000 worth. It knocked ten holes in the roof (I should say cracks), damaged one of the fantastic vent fan covers, cracked the dome over the rear camera along with knocking off the middle lens on the top running lights in the rear of the coach plus ripping everyone of the slide canopies. It also caused some side body damage, chipping the paint in 3 different areas.

It's currently in the shop being repaired. I hope no one else has to go thru one of these, it's a helpless feeling knowing there is nothing you can do but hope for the best.

2007 Mini Cooper "S" Conv.
ep35rja is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2006, 05:39 AM   #2

Well you would know it, received our new Itasca Meridian and made a trip to Medina, Texas to join in the fun of a Texas hill country motorcycle ride and got caught in a hail storm.

We took delivery on our new coach on Feb. 24th, made one trip to Nashville to my son's home and then made our second trip to the Kerrville/Medina hill country on April 20th. While parked in the Koyote Ranch RV park at 1:30 AM on the 21st of April we were awaken by a golf ball to tennis ball size hail storm that lasted all of 2 1/2 to 3 minutes but believe me when I tell you it sounded like a crew of roughnecks with sledge hammers working over the top of the coach.

The bad part other than the damage sustained was the fact that it was dark and you could not assess any of the damages until daylight that morning. Needless to say there was plenty of damage to the tune of almost $5,000 worth. It knocked ten holes in the roof (I should say cracks), damaged one of the fantastic vent fan covers, cracked the dome over the rear camera along with knocking off the middle lens on the top running lights in the rear of the coach plus ripping everyone of the slide canopies. It also caused some side body damage, chipping the paint in 3 different areas.

It's currently in the shop being repaired. I hope no one else has to go thru one of these, it's a helpless feeling knowing there is nothing you can do but hope for the best.

2007 Mini Cooper "S" Conv.
ep35rja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey, ep35rja, welcome to the forum! Seems like with everything you folks in LA went through last summer you should get a wx free pass for this year!

We recently were traveling in areas with "watch boxes" and I was wondering what large hail would do to a roof. Glad to hear it didn't come through and injure anyone, but I feel your pain with having that happen to a new coach.

Not to play "I can top that", but just so you don't feel like you're the only one being picked on - our 2 week old Journey was whacked by hurricane Charley a couple of years ago. $80,000 and 4 months later it was returned to me "good as new". I've had no more problems then the normal "new coach" stuff, so hang in there and it'll all work out.

Sorry you had to go through that, but thanks for sharing the knowledge of what a big hailstorm is like.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:08 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

While it's indeed a mess to deal with,just be thankful no one was injured in the storm....

They make these coaches every day and dealers and factories have the parts and the ability to fix most anything,even to the tune of replacing an ENTIRE roof as one poster in these forums has found.

Mother Nature's wrath is unpredictable yet something we all deal with every day.

Keep your chin up and hopefully you'll be back on the road real soon....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote