Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

The hall light over the info center (the one that can be "aimed") was intermintent, now has failed. Bad bulb, socket, or connection in fixture. How do you service it? There is an "egg shaped" cover that can be removed but I need to go further. There are just 2 small screws holding it to the ceiling but afraid if I remove them I will be unable to get it back on the padded ceiling. Two dealers have been no help including the Winnebago N.W. are Service Manager at the Redmond OR "The Rally". He was able on a show coach to just get the outer cover off, then could not replace it.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The hall light over the info center (the one that can be "aimed") was intermintent, now has failed. Bad bulb, socket, or connection in fixture. How do you service it? There is an "egg shaped" cover that can be removed but I need to go further. There are just 2 small screws holding it to the ceiling but afraid if I remove them I will be unable to get it back on the padded ceiling. Two dealers have been no help including the Winnebago N.W. are Service Manager at the Redmond OR "The Rally". He was able on a show coach to just get the outer cover off, then could not replace it.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Vern, On mine, I removed the two screws and gently pried the fixture loose. The two screws go into a thin piece of cheap plywood. Once I got the fixture out, I noticed that the intense heat of this fixture had melted the polystyrene foam insulation. It seemed to be a fire hazard to me and I posted this a year or so ago but got no response. My fixture was brittle and slightly burnt from the heat so I pitched it and mounted a 12 volt LED under cabinet light that I found at Menard's (like Lowe's/Home Depot, etc). I mounted it on a piece of cedar lap siding so it aimed in on the panel. Works great and there is NO heat - just an off white/bluish light. It uses about an eight of a watt per hour and makes a great night light.

On your current light, the bulb just pulls out. It has two prongs that simply pressure fit in place. I believe you can get a lower wattage bulb at Radio Shake. It's 12 volt.

Also, if you just want to replace the bulb, you don't have to remove the two screws. Just pry the lens off and grab the bulb lightly with a pliers and pull straight down.

My LED fixture was $10.00 I can't remember the name but I'll get it for you next time I'm in Menard's.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info. I had called Winnebago cust ser & was advised I needed to remove the 2 screws. Mine also shows results of high heat from the Hallog bulb. As far as replacment I might try that,if I knew the wattage of current bulb. There is no info on the fixture. The zone service mgr was supprized at how HOT the fixture was. Mine is a 2004, & they are still using them in new units. No fires yet???

Your fix sounds better IF I can find the proper replacment.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Interesting... our unit is going in for it's first "bunch of nonsense fix-ups" service appointment tomorrow... one of the things on my list is to fix/change that exact same light. It's the only light that is not working. Perhaps I should leave it off the list, and find my own lower wattage bulb? That light isn't all that necessary for me. I'd rather use a flashlight than burn up my rig!
Old 08-13-2007, 04:30 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Rutny, I'd have them fix it and then just use it momentarily to read the panel. That way if it's a switch or something other than the bulb everything will be working when or if you switch to a LED. The LED "bright white" color spectrum has been getting closer to natural light as the industry works on the process. In a few years the light will be much better.

The reason my original light burnt was because I left it on by accident.

The marketer of the LED fixture I have now is Quantus Lighting offered by Menards. I can't find anything on them on the internet.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
KCE
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There are just 2 small screws holding it to the ceiling but afraid if I remove them I will be unable to get it back on the padded ceiling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take out 1 screw and touch the empty hole with a small magic marker take out the other screw and do the same thing.
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the answers & suggestions. I have been unable to so far to find a suitable LED replacment. After checking very closely the fixture I found info about bulb size. Apears to be 10/13 w max @ 12 V. I found a replacment 10 w bulb & reinstalled it until I locate a LED replacment. I WONDER if Winn used the WRONG SIZE bulb? My current bulb does not seem as hot or bright as the original, although plenty bright for its intended use. I will however be watching it close for any overheating.