Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Has Anyone Removed Their Roof Mounted Air Horns?

I'm replacing my seriously rusted air horns, new ones in hand and I can't get the horn out. It appears the I may have to access the underside to disconnect the hose.

Anyone done this, or know more about it?

I talked to WBGO and they tried to be helpful and at first said it is just a hose going inside, when they looked harder at the drawings, they believe I will have to access from below to disconnect a quick disconnect.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have found no way to gain access to this area from inside the RV. There is a solid block of foam insulation and no access as the roof panel is glued down solid. I removed a wooden roof trim that let me see forward where there is no foam but rearward is a solid mass with an opening in the center for cables.

I'm wondering if the metal plate on the roof that the horns are mounted too is covering a large enough access area for the airlines? The rectangle area of sealant is sealing a metal plate and there are 3 dots of sealant in the middle that appear to be fasteners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0386_crop.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	108269  
Old 09-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

we removed one on a monaco there was room under the plate
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
we removed one on a monaco there was room under the plate
I'm thinking that is the only way, or they are not replaceable.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Found some interesting drawings in the parts catalog for my Journey. They show the airlines, horns and plate. They show the final connection of the airline, but not the entire path.

The final portion shown on the air horns shows connections just under the surface and need to be disconnected below the roof.

Name:	horns close.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	108304

The plate drawing shows a dashed rectangle, implying a space below it.

Name:	plate.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	108303

Tomorrow that plate comes off.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
This summer I moved my air horns on my Allegro Bus from above the generator on the firewall to the roof. The pic shows how I had to modify the air fittings to feed my hose parallel to the horn from under the front cap. Originally the air hose came into the horn perpendicularly from below. I added a 1 1/2" nipple and a street elbow and re-installed the push-to-lock connector. It uses 1/4" air brake line, probably running from the firewall area up to the roof inside the DS front window pillar. Somewhere the air line will have a push-to-lock Tee to feed both horns, either in the firewall area or immediately below the metal plate. I would carefully remove the metal plate and you will probably find an open cavity below. If not, start digging out the foam around the connector and the air line. Somewhere there should be several inches of slack in the air line, which was required in order to install the horns originally.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AirHorn_4603.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	108306  
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I am probably too late, but, the air to the horns is fed from a solenoid valve mounted in the nose compartment of the front end. The hose is routed up the windshield pillar. Removal of the horns is exactly as you guessed, in that the metal plate on the roof must be removed to access the hose connections and mounting bolts. Just be sure to seal the plate as much like the factory did it as possible.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

So removing the metal plate was correct, and the air fittings are in a rectangular area under the base of the horns.

There is a single airline here that goes to a 'T' fitting then to both horns.

I found the shorter horns elbow and horn air inlet with damage to the threads. Since I was replacing the air horns, that was not an issue but the elbow's threads were damaged. I got the parts from Amazon in a couple days and the new horns are installed and sound the same as the old horns.

I used some pipe sealant on the elbows per Hadley since I could not put the elbows tight and have them face each other. They said the elbows don't need to be turned all the way tight. Probably why that one was stripped since they were very tight. I sealed over the elbow and the mounting bolts with silicone sealant, the same as WBGO had done. I then sealed the plate with Dicor Butyl Seal Tape and then Dicor over the entire edge, screws and horn mounting bolts. Next when the Dicor dries I will use 4" Eternabond around the plate and three central plate mount screws.

I would like to figure out how to get Eternabond over the mounting bracket/bolts of the horns. But if not, the Dicor and internal silicone plus the horns own seal will probably work - it did for 10 years anyway.

Tags
roof