Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #1

Has Anyone Tried SumoSprings

Our 2013 Adventurer is built on the 22,000 lb. F53 chassis and seems to ride and handle well except in the worst conditions. We just came back from a 7 week trip to New England. By in large the roads weren't all that bad, but there were stretches that were terrible. They were so bad in some cases that the highway departments had lowered the speed limits by 10 to 15 mph.

My question have any of you installed SumoSprings to improve the ride in those types of situations. It seems that a set for the front run a little over $500.00 with the rears being a bit more expensive at about $550.00 a set.

I don't mind spending the money if they make a measurable improvement in ride quality. We are at least 1,500 lbs. under the GVWR so I am not interested in gaining any additional weight capacity. I just want to smooth out the ride when encountering bad road conditions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #2

Summo springs are more for reducing body sway on a motorhome. They may help in controlling the motorhome due to reduced sway, but I would not install them thinking they are going to improve the ride in terms of being a softer or more cushioned ride.

Read this page:
https://www.supersprings.com/2017/08...y-sumosprings/

Tons of info online for improving the Ford F53 ride including "cheap handling fix", better shocks (Bilsteins or Konis), new tires with inflation adjusted for weight according to tire manufacturer's chart, and front end alignment.

I've only got a few months experience with our F53 chassis, but I believe that when it comes to bad roads, there isn't that much that can be done.......aside from moving up to a DP!!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
If the leaf springs are weak and aren't adequately supporting the load and allowing the springs to contact the bump stops on every bump then Sumo's could be a good choice.

The front of my 02 was hitting the bump stops at bridge transitions and on bad roads. It made for a jarring ride. Sumo's in the front made a night & day difference in comfort.
RV2traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have sumos springs all around and I really love them. I had an issue with the rear they installed the wrong bolts on the rear and I felt it when the bolts sheared off. I lost one spring somewhere between Key West to Texas. But When I contacted Sumo sent them the pictures and by the time I got home new kit waiting on me. It seems the first kits had the wrong bolts which they sheared off. The bolts now are black in color.
If you have the money they are worth every penny.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #5

I think I have them in my 2017 E450 chassis MH.

They look like Sumos but since I bought it used and haven't seen the standard bump stops that should be in there I'm not sure.

The ride is stiffer then my old E450 that didn't have tall bump stops, that the axle layed on all of the time.

I plan on getting factory bump stops and removing the tall ones, to see if the ride softens.

If you want a soft ride, you need to lessen the spring rate, for the weight on it, or add weight over the springs. I don't see how adding a spring to a spring can soften the ride.

A conventional chassis with steel springs is designed to carry the max load without overloading the springs. If your carrying less then max weight, the ride will be stiffer.

Diesel pushers ride smooth because of the self adjusting spring rate. They add just enough air into the bags ( air springs ) to hold the RV at ride height. If they add weight, the MH sinks and the controls add a bit more air, to get it back to ride height.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tend to agree. Our sumos helped with roll but made the ride slightly stiffer. I have a 2017 Adventurer with a 24,000 pound F53 Chassis.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Hickerdogs, do you travel with a full tank of Potable water, if not then do so. This is ballast that will help add weight to the leaf springs. Now as far as making it softer. Have you weighed the coach when loaded for a trip, including the passengers? That data is need to make the correct adjustment to air pressure which will either harden or soften the ride. Too much air for the weight you are carrying and harder ride, too little and you get the pig wallow and mushy ride.
Try making these simple adjustments to see if they help first and save some money and time.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:07 AM   #8

There is some evedence that adding springs will not soften the ride.

Many folks weigh their MH and lower the air pressure of the tires, to a safe level, to soften the ride.

Less pressure means more sidewall flex, effectively lowering the spring rate of the tire.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:36 AM   #9

It seems the narrative on the SumoSprings website is different than the narrative for the same product on the E trailer website. One of the main features listed on E trailer is to "help absorb bumps and shocks" and "soften engagement for a less bumpy ride".

As mentioned in my original post the motorhome rides and handles fine except for the most extreme conditions. We don't have sway problems, we are far from overloaded at a little over 20,000 lbs., the tire pressures are set at 85 psi, and we travel with about 1/2 a tank of water.

I was just wondering if SumoSprings would help improve the ride when traveling on roads in extremely poor condition. Some friends of ours recently purchased a 2018 Sightseer and had the SumoSprings added. They swear by the ride and handling improvements. Then again I have no idea what the motorhome rode and handled like before they added the springs.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
It seems the narrative on the SumoSprings website is different than the narrative for the same product on the E trailer website. One of the main features listed on E trailer is to "help absorb bumps and shocks" and "soften engagement for a less bumpy ride".

As mentioned in my original post the motorhome rides and handles fine except for the most extreme conditions. We don't have sway problems, we are far from overloaded at a little over 20,000 lbs., the tire pressures are set at 85 psi, and we travel with about 1/2 a tank of water.

I was just wondering if SumoSprings would help improve the ride when traveling on roads in extremely poor condition. Some friends of ours recently purchased a 2018 Sightseer and had the SumoSprings added. They swear by the ride and handling improvements. Then again I have no idea what the motorhome rode and handled like before they added the springs.
My neighbor down the street had the Sumos installed on his 32' Fleetwood and was not impressed by the change. It's a $1000 gamble. Some love them.
jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
As you can see we added Sumos and more. Our MH is now a pleasure to drive in all conditions except bad pavement. Not sure you can fix that with suspension modifications. However if you are pushed around by wind and trucks and have to see-saw the steering wheel to stay in your lane and every corner feels as if you will tip over then I would highly recommend the improvements listed below. We did the Sumo Springs first and it was night and day. The other modifications were icing on the cake.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:34 PM   #12
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I put Sumo's all around on my 22,000# chassis. Made a 30% ride improvement and 20% handling improvement a lot less than others have reported.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #13

I'm in the process now installing SummoSprimgs on my 24' Navion frt&bck. I hope this cures some of back and forth rocking. Fingers crossed.
tim1755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Summo springs are more for reducing body sway on a motorhome. They may help in controlling the motorhome due to reduced sway, but I would not install them thinking they are going to improve the ride in terms of being a softer or more cushioned ride.

Read this page:
https://www.supersprings.com/2017/08...y-sumosprings/

Tons of info online for improving the Ford F53 ride including "cheap handling fix", better shocks (Bilsteins or Konis), new tires with inflation adjusted for weight according to tire manufacturer's chart, and front end alignment.

I've only got a few months experience with our F53 chassis, but I believe that when it comes to bad roads, there isn't that much that can be done.......aside from moving up to a DP!!
:bilstien's are good for smaller shorter units but not anything over 24' in my eyes. I put some springs but cannot remember what they are on the rear or our MH that would put most springs to shame. I think they are Koni's but a description is rubber with air inside and heavy duty spring down the outside, they work wonders for us, wish I had put them on the front to but like dummies I chose to leave the Bilsteins on the front as mechanic said they still looked in pretty good condition but this was not so on the Alaska Hwys and the Top of the world Hwy to CHicken, AK.
Peter
studesrus is offline   Reply With Quote