Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2007, 06:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Okay this was odd. I have the coach at my house as I am doing some cleaning. I was in the coach last night with the generator running. I shut everything down and went inside the house. I woke around 2:30 this morning and I hear the generator running in the coach. I get up, grab my keys, go out and unlock the door and shut it down again. Before anyone asks, yes I am possitive I shut the generator down before going inside.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Okay this was odd. I have the coach at my house as I am doing some cleaning. I was in the coach last night with the generator running. I shut everything down and went inside the house. I woke around 2:30 this morning and I hear the generator running in the coach. I get up, grab my keys, go out and unlock the door and shut it down again. Before anyone asks, yes I am possitive I shut the generator down before going inside.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
I helped | retired moderator

Onan?

There have been some reports of the generator starting because of dirty or corroded contacts on an electrical connector. I believe that was the cause.

You should soon have someone respond with the details.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

This is a known problem with Onan Quiet Diesel generators. It has happened to mine, to two friends' generators and others I have heard from on the internet.

Look at your generator and you will see a cable coming out of the left side. That cable runs a short distance to a connector (plug) and the other end of the cable runs inside the motorhome for the start / stop switch, meter, etc.

The connector gets corroded or moisture in it and that causes the generator to self-start. Pull the connector apart and spray both ends with electrical contact cleaner and shove the connector together and apart a few times to clean the pins. After the cleaner drys coat the pins in both ends of the connector with di-electric silicone that you can buy at any automotive store.

After well coating the pins plug the connector (plug) back together and the silicone will keep mositure out and the self-start problem will be fixed.

Until you have time to work on it you can just disconnect the cable.

Good luck.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
Onan?

There have been some reports of the generator starting because of dirty or corroded contacts on an electrical connector. I believe that was the cause.

You should soon have someone respond with the details. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly what I have heard

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Its amazing that the Onan people or Winnebago cannot come up with these suggestions. This has happened to me twice in 3 years. All wireing and connections were checked out they found nothing wrong. I was told to turn off the master switch on the generator housing, that was their solution.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Three times in first two years, but not one in last three. Spooky.

Thought this was an undocumented feature.