RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2019, 08:11 AM   #1

Heat pump question

The front heat pump on my 2012 Ellipse is blowing cold air. I can hear the compressor turn on and the unit is pulling 15 amps. Both the mid and rear heat pumps working fine. The outside temp is 58 degrees. Any ideas why front unit is not heating? Thanks.
Jerry

F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It takes a heat pump a few minutes to start blowing warm air. Next, are you sure it is a heat pump unit?

The reversing valve can stick and not allow the unit to change from heat mode or get stuck in cooling mode. You need to check the solenoid coil up top and make sure it is energizing.

Ken

Old 09-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
Dom

One way to check the solenoid coil is to touch a small screwdriver on top. If it is energized it will pull the screwdriver down. Keep in mind that some heat pumps energize coil in heating and some in cooling. You will have to check both modes to see if coil works
Dom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F117plt View Post
The front heat pump on my 2012 Ellipse is blowing cold air. I can hear the compressor turn on and the unit is pulling 15 amps. Both the mid and rear heat pumps working fine. The outside temp is 58 degrees. Any ideas why front unit is not heating? Thanks.
Jerry
As mentioned give it a few minutes runtime before expecting any heat. If after several minutes of runtime and still no heat I would check the reversing valve to see if it's getting a signal from the control board. If it is getting a signal and not switching the direction of the coolant through the system it's pretty much the end of the line because no replacement parts are available.

However if the solenoid is not getting a signal you probably have a bad control board. We had the same problem with a Coleman Mach 8 unit on our 2013 Adventurer. I called the Coleman (Airxcel) service and support number. I talked to a technician and he walked me through the test procedure. The test determined that the board was bad. They sent me a new one, I installed it and now have had a properly working AC/Heat Pump.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
One way to check the solenoid coil is to touch a small screwdriver on top. If it is energized it will pull the screwdriver down. Keep in mind that some heat pumps energize coil in heating and some in cooling. You will have to check both modes to see if coil works

Thanks Don, Iíll check the solenoid. My unit is working in cooling mode.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:36 PM   #6
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by F117plt View Post
Thanks Don, Iíll check the solenoid. My unit is working in cooling mode.
What I was getting at try heating and cooling both with the screwdriver as solenoid may kick in cooling mode. Some units, solenoid kicks in on heating, some on cooling.
Dom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You can order and swap out the electromagnet, what some are calling a solenoid. Mine quit cooling. Electromagnet was an electro-nothing. I removed it and zip tied it out oof the way, and installed a bad arsed magnet in its place. BAM, permanant cooling until I removed the magnet. If you do same, maybe you'll have a permanant heater.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thusly:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0791.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	260590   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0792.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	260591  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	260592  
Old 09-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
So what happened....
Old 09-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Has anybody pointed out to you that the front unit is AC only no heat pump. Zone 1 and 2 are heat pumps and zone 3 the front unit is AC only. On your thermostat when you set it to Heat Electric zone 3 shows no indication other than the room temp. When heat is selected the mode button does nothing on zone 3. Zone 3 on gas also does nothing. It only works when cool is selected. This is only the case on a stock coach if the front unit was replaced with a heat pump disregard the above.
Ron Postma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:33 PM   #11

My 2012 only has two zones. All three of my units are definitely heat pumps. I have had this rig for eight years and the front unit has worked as a heat pump until now.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
You can order and swap out the electromagnet, what some are calling a solenoid. Mine quit cooling. Electromagnet was an electro-nothing. I removed it and zip tied it out oof the way, and installed a bad arsed magnet in its place. BAM, permanant cooling until I removed the magnet. If you do same, maybe you'll have a permanant heater.
Do not remove it without removing the power from it. If it is not bad when you remove it, it will be if you power it up without something in the coil. it will fail quickly and get very hot! Just a heads up!
asuperheat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #13

Protecting the solenoid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
When you remove a solenoid and it will be hanging in the breeze, insert a bolt that is about the same size as the hole in it. If it energizes without something on the inside, it will probably burn out in a very short time if it was not already dead.

'12 Winnebago Via 25T, stock except: HWH Levelers, NovaKool RFU68000 12V Fridge,Group 31 AGM Coach Batteries, PM4 55A 55 Amp Converter, PI EMS-HW30C Surge Protector, Michelin Agilis CrossClimate Tires, TST Internal TPMS, Borg Stems, Sumo Springs
HISSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heat pump