Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

We are sitting in at 5,000 ft in New Mexico after having left sunny Florida 6 weeks ago and I have had my basement heat on for several days. We love it and it is free. I did not know about the 4 degree thing. We had been boon docking for 7 days and I had to refill my propane tank.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:27 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

2cents...

The heat pump takes heat out of the coach (AC mode) and pumps it outside. In the heat mode it takes the heat from the outside and pumps it inside the coach. When the ambient temp outside is below a certain temperature (somewhere between 36&40 Deg F)The efficiency is not there and auxillary heat (propane electric, Etc)is required.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:36 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Heat pumps can be quite effecient below 36deg, however the basement heatpump units are designed to shut down (by way of the freeze sensor on the outside coil) at these temps because unlike home units they do not have defrost capability, nor compressor crankcase heaters, nor accumulator tanks. Without these components, the outside coil would eventually freeze over and the freon would get colder and colder, turning into liquid all the way back to the compressor. Compressors do not pump liquid.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

regarding the switch to turn off the gas furnace. sounds like great idea n easy to do. but, does not the heat pump shut down after the thermostat calls for gas heat. seams like the 3 or 4* setting would still be in effect? would be nice to turn on the heat pump n just let it go.. thanks dave

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

We've been using it now for a week. Works like a charm. Since I have to get up to get a cup of coffee quite frequently, I bump it up then.
Great not using propane for once.
Thanks everyone for your help and telling me about the 4 degrees.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
C&C R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Dave - On my coach the heat pump continues to run without the gas furnace until the set temp is reached. Then it comes on when necessary to maintain the set temp.
When the propane is on and the temp is set greater that 4 degrees, both the heat pump and the heater run together.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:13 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Dave, the only times the heat pump shuts down, and you are left with gas heat only, is when it's too cold for the heat pump to operate or the heat pump can't keep up. In that case you would need to flip the switch back to allow gas heat. The heat pump does not get shut down just because you ask for a change greater than 4 degrees. I only disable the gas heat when the outside temp is above 40 and I know the heat pump can handle it without help.

I really enjoy getting up on a cool morning, starting the coffee, bumping the thermostat up to whatever temp we want, and then going back to bed while it warms up. No more babysitting the thermostat. And no LP used...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Ok, we're finding out we have to have 50 amp site for the heat pump to run efficiently. Since our AC is one big unit, are we going to need 50 amp all the time to run that thing too?

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
Old 03-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

C&C R: Absolutely not. I run my heat pump with out any problems on 30 Amp service. Now, no you cannot run every thing electrical in the coach while you are on 30 Amp, but the one place control center takes care of managing that for you. 50 Amp is better but not required.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

We ran the heat pump on 30amp this morning. The heat coming out wasn't as warm as when we were at a campground using 50amp. That panel read 24.
Changed to a 50 amp (paid fee) and the heat is much warmer.
Do we have a problem? Certainly won't be a first with this unit.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
Old 03-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

24 amps on the meter is right with both compressors running. I can't imagine how 50 amps would make a difference in the temperature of the heat. The compressors are pulling it from the air and as long as they are running the heat should be the same. Mine will run you out on 30 amps, if you set it a little to high.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

C&C,
Did you notice when you were on 30amps if the green status light for compressor #2 was on or off? Maybe the EMS was shutting it off.

Just a thought, since it seems to be running ok on 50 amp, where the EMS won't shut it down.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

was wondering if anyone has tried anything to "help" the heat pump operate in that marginal 30 ish range. Ie installing some kind of heater coils or even placing a small electric space heater under the unit outside to warm up the intake air on the unit... any one?
capt mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #34

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by capt mav:
was wondering if anyone has tried anything to "help" the heat pump operate in that marginal 30 ish range. Ie installing some kind of heater coils or even placing a small electric space heater under the unit outside to warm up the intake air on the unit... any one? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not save some energy and money and move that electric heater from the outside into the inside?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #35
Winnie-Wise

We have been in sub-20 deg morning temps a couple times. Of course, the basement heatpump doesn't work. We just kick in the gas furnace and run a 1500W heater with the air flow to the front. I rarely takes more than 1 hour to get the inside temp from the morning low of 48 (we do not run heat at night....we like it chilly) up to 68 which is comfy.

After the temo inside gets to 68, we kill the gas furnace and rely on the electric to maintain the comfort level. Works great.

BTW, we have only had an inside temp down to 48 one time. Normally the lows are 53-56.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote