Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #1

Heater motor blows fuse on high speed

2004 Itasca Suncruiser. The heater fan motor blows s 30 A fuse when on high speed. It works fine on low or medium speed. any ideas?
WEB552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

There could be an issue with the blower speed switch or the resister block that's causing the issue.
Was the 30 amp fuse original to the system ?
Or has someone installed that amp of fuse to try and deal with the problem.
Evans /Tempcon wiring diagrams have a 25 amp fuse shown.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My previous MH was a 2003 Chieftain. I had a similar problem. The problem was a bad bearing in the heater motor. Had to replace the heater motor and that solved the problem. It was not an easy fix either.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
My previous MH was a 2003 Chieftain. I had a similar problem. The problem was a bad bearing in the heater motor. Had to replace the heater motor and that solved the problem. It was not an easy fix either.

Don
that's what I am thinking, too much draw/load on the circuit
Old 04-28-2019, 01:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
It may be the resistor block. It is mounted in the blower box, which is grounded metal. The high power coils of the resistor block may have melted, touching the blower box.

The resistor block is easy to pull out and look at.

The reason I don't think it is the motor is that your fuse doesn't pop on low or medium speeds, which, combined with the resistor block, is about the same amp draw for all three speeds.

Less likely would be the blower switch itself being defective somehow, or the wiring for the high speed, but worth checking.

Let us know what you find. Best of luck.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #6

I think the problem is solved

So as usual I started replacing the most expensive parts first. I replaced the blower motor and resister pack. The problem was still there. I finally replaced the blower relay and that seems to have solved the problem, but I won't know for sure until I go on vacation in June. Other things that I discovered; Low speed and medium speed is supplied by a different fuse than the high speed on the blower. The low speeds are fused at 25 amps and the high speed is a separate 30 amp fuse that is energized all of the time. The Blower relay switches to the high speed fused circuit when the switch calls for it.
Thanks for the responses.
WEB552 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, heat, heater