Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
HELP! First time in a park & unit won't switch to shoreline

2003 Chieftain, been on genset since last night, I hooked up to shoreline and nothing is switching over. Microwave is dark. Fridge switches to LP. I've checked breakers in mailbox and house breaker panel and I've tried two different supply boxes. The Powerline status board indicates 50amp service type and all appliance power status LEDs are lit. Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #2

WHen you hooked up to shore power DID you shut down generator......gen power is typically default priority source?

If gen was shut down then TRANSFER SWITCH is stuck on gen source.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #3

Give the transfer switch a good rap with a rubber mallet or your hand and see if it switches over. Generator must be off for it to switch.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had gen off the first time, does it take time to make the switch or does it happen within seconds?
Old 04-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And am I correct in thinking that the status indicators are showing that power is coming in?
Old 04-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does your RV have a built in Surge Guard or Progressive Industries electrical management system? They take a couple of minutes before they allow electricity to pass through to the motorhome.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #7

Generally only a few seconds, no more than 5 to 10 max. On mine I hear it it actually click over if I am outside by the transfer switch.

Make sure the circuit breakers on the power panel are on. I would turn generator off, unplug, then flip each and every breaker on the 110 panel and the inverter panel off and then back on to make sure they are really on. Also check to see if there is a breaker on on the inverter itself (assuming you have a large inverter (2000w) and that it is not tripped. Also look for tripped ground fault outlets. Then hook up the power line and wait to hear the transfer switch go thunk when it switches. If it is not doing that, the rap it with the rubber mallet or hard with your hand and see if it switches.

In reading your description it is not clear if with the generator off your power panel is reading 50 amps or if that is when the generator is on. If everything works fine electrically when the generator is running, then you issue is most probably within the transfer switch because the normal operation on the generator indicates that all the breakers and circuits inside are fine.

Sometimes people have also fixed weird power issues with the power line system itself by turning all power off, including all batteries, both coach and chassis for at least 30 seconds, then turning everything back on and then plugging in.

Good luck and keep us up to date.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No surge protector and electrical management is via Powerline device, I don't know the manufacturer.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #9

Bill-

Winnebago provides wiring diagrams and other product information online. Here is the path to the 110V wiring diagram for your coach:

Product Information
Wiring Diagrams
Table of Contents
Body, 110 Volt Wiring Diagram

Is this diagram helpful to you?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It may if I have to replace the transfer switch which looks to be a possibility. The Powerline status indicator is showing 50amp available as a stand alone indicator, not the genset indicator. I found the Powerline manual and the status indicators as I described them in an earlier post are reflective of the presence of 50 amp shoreline power. Park caretaker checked plug and found everything in good order. I may try the full shut down CHWTRAINS recommended.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:22 AM   #11

If you know how to use a voltmeter around the transfer switch, you can test it to see if it has swapped over when connected to the shore line power with the generator turned off. If you take the cover off and measure the voltage on the shore line power input side of the transfer switch, it should equal the voltage at the pedestal. Then measure the voltage at the output side of the transfer switch and if it is the same, then the transfer switch has switched over, and the problem lies elsewhere. You then have to follow the wiring using the diagrams.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Make sure six/main power switch on dash is in proper position.
JFC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Meant aux/main switch on dash is in proper position
JFC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, first turn generator off 3 minutes before plugging in (This is for other reasons)

Second. Depending on your ATS system the transfer to Shore power happens eiter AS the generator is shutting down (When the voltage out drops below a threshold) or about 1 second after you connect to shore power with generator off.

The reason for 3 mintues of no power
Air conditioners and Residental Fridge compressors need 3 minutes to "mormalize" before your restore power. Else they can re-start in "locked" mode, which is hard on them, hard on yoru transfer switch and expensive.

Tags
switch