RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #1

Help! Jack issue on our 08

Hi all, looking for any tips or hints of what we can do. Our 08 Destination 39w has a directional valve that has failed, causing all 4 hydraulic jacks to not work. Our tech stated he could not fix so the only other way to go was to buy a new one (original is no longer made) or to find a used one and install it.
Our driveway is at a steep angle, otherwise I would opt to just say forget the jacks.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueseeker View Post
Hi all, looking for any tips or hints of what we can do. Our 08 Destination 39w has a directional valve that has failed, causing all 4 hydraulic jacks to not work. Our tech stated he could not fix so the only other way to go was to buy a new one (original is no longer made) or to find a used one and install it.
Our driveway is at a steep angle, otherwise I would opt to just say forget the jacks.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
Hi I'm a machine tool tech and deal with obsolete hydraulic components a lot of the time, there is always an alternative while I can't point you in the direction to find another manufacturer If you can remove the suspect directional valve and take to a Hydraulics supplier they may well be able to find an alternative replacement for you or advise on best options. They also may be able to repair/rebuild the existing valve, if the coil on the valve has gone open it may be possible to rewind the coil if a new coil is not available.
Just a few Idea's that may give you some choices hope this helps.
Kindest Regards
Onebrit

onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #3

What brand of jack system do you have? If it's HWH you can get all the info from them. I've repaired mine on 2 different rigs, when you say "directional valve" is that the shuttle valve on the hydraulics?
jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
Commercial Member

if you have hwh jacks, i would be happy to help you. if so, please text or call 602 549 3638. it does sound like the shuttle valve. hwh does make new ones, and the part number is RAP7964.
the cost is about 87 doloars.
i work full time for hwh corp.
paul maddox
i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #5

You have to state the exact symptoms (if it's hydraulic), is the pump running but jacks don't work? Does nothing happen at all, no sound? And what was your "mechanic" going to replace thats obsolete? I've replaced 2 shuttle valves on 2 rv's, AZPete is right..an easy repair and only costs about $100
jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:33 PM   #6

Hi everybody, thank you again for the help, we are getting closer to a part. The hydraulic jacks will go down (slowly), but wonít actually push up the coach. Come to find out the right front jack was leaking, but the directional valve is no good. It was made by Kwikee levels and was bought out by lippert/ and LCI.
The small part I need goes into the main pump assembly. So far, I have part numbers, but have been told we have to purchase a whole motor/ pump assembly to the tune of $1962-5000 range, plus installation!
Iím trying to reach out to RV used parts people, here are pics the the actual part needed and what it goes into.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5562.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	269374Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5559.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	517.9 KB
ID:	269375
Old 12-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #7

Blueseeker
The fact that you now have the complete unit out of your coach it appears your well on your way to resolving the problem, given other members have first hand knowledge of your unit and from what I've read I don't think you need to replace the whole unit as a dealer would tell you. Obviously any oil bypass/leak will prevent system from building necessary pressure to operate correctly again previous posts especially azpete sounds like he may point you in the right direction good luck don't give up you can solve this problem if you stick with it then you'll be the expert !!
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I think it is a shuttle valve I replaced one it is not exspenive, If you call a Chuck at Stuarts Service in Elkhart IN he has all the parts you need in stock and will walk you thru the fix. Good Luck
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just replaced mine. It was kind of a pain as I did it with the unit in the RV and access was limited. Since I was working at full extension, I had no leverage.

Since you already have it out, order a new one from HWH, I found them to be quite reponsive.

My symptom was that my jacks would go down but not come up even with the valves on the unit.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #10

Thank you, our system is by kwikee, not hwh, we now tried the valve, but that didnít fix it. Now we need the pump!! Ugh!!
Old 12-21-2019, 09:55 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueseeker View Post
Thank you, our system is by kwikee, not hwh, we now tried the valve, but that didn’t fix it. Now we need the pump!! Ugh!!
I have the exact same 39W and have replaced a pump and jacks over the years. You may just have a bad jack that is leaking buy the seal. Lippert tec. can walk you through it, very easy.
1. Run your jacks all the way up.
2. take top line off.
3. hold your finger over line while someone pushes the UP button. If fluid comes out of jack, the seal in jack is shot. you will need to check all four jacks.
Seals cannot be replaced, new jacks are about 900.00. WWW.ETRALIOR.COM

scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote