Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have been going through each system on the new RV and have gotten to the Satellite TV system. I have a domed satellite dish and it looks to be the in-motion system -- though not totally sure.
First question -- How can I determine what I have? I can tell you that I have no manual control on the ceiling only the connector/switch plate (KVH) next to the cutout that I assume is for the manual dish.
Second question -- Not sure which is best -- Dish or DirectTV -- and is there any incompatability issues with the type of dish I have?
Third question -- Do I need anything other than a Satellite Receiver -- any suggestions for Brand/Model?
Thanks -- Frank O.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have been going through each system on the new RV and have gotten to the Satellite TV system. I have a domed satellite dish and it looks to be the in-motion system -- though not totally sure.
First question -- How can I determine what I have? I can tell you that I have no manual control on the ceiling only the connector/switch plate (KVH) next to the cutout that I assume is for the manual dish.
Second question -- Not sure which is best -- Dish or DirectTV -- and is there any incompatability issues with the type of dish I have?
Third question -- Do I need anything other than a Satellite Receiver -- any suggestions for Brand/Model?
Thanks -- Frank O.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We have the same "KVH" plate on ours. It is a Auto -track, but not "in motion". Once you stop and get ready for TV, it automatically locates the sattelite. We use "Direct TV", but just because that is what we have at home. We carry the "receiver" from the house and just connect it to the control box at the TV. It works well, so far other than it tends to have to search at odd times (loses signal). We get our "local stations" from home, so far. Have only used it for three trips. Good luck!
retired2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
First question -- How can I determine what I have?
Thanks -- Frank O. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't you have the options sheet that came with your Winnebago??
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Tom,
No, the sales agent looked in all the closets and the various hiding places but could not locate it. I am not sure if this was installed by the previous owner after he bought it. The unit has four chassis upgrades that were done post sale also so I would not be surprised if the satellite dish was not done by Winnie.
Frank O.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
Second question -- Not sure which is best -- Dish or DirectTV -- and is there any incompatability issues with the type of dish I have? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like and use DirecTV because all normal programming comes off one satellite.

You may have to go on your roof and set a switch under the dome for DirecTV or Dish.

If you have the manual look at that. If you do not have the manual download it from KVHs website. I dled mine from Winegard as I have a Winegard auto dish.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

If you email Winnie with your MH serial number they can email you back with the as built spec sheet for your MH.

Steve

2006 Windsor PRT
Dalsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Finally got a chance to go to the storage yard and cover the MH. While up there I looked over the Sat Dome and it is an R5 TrackVision. I just read up on the features and it says it is an in-motion Sat Antenna. So now I need to know if I go with Dish, can I use any Std Def Dish reciever to work with the In-Motion features? Like I said I do not know much about the Sat TV technology but am learning quickly. Ebay has a ton of Dish receivers.
Like someone said one can get a card that gives a user about 40 days of useage of the cheapest package and of course less days if you go with the upgraded packages. The only downside to this is you are restricted to the receivers you can use so I think I would rather go with a month to month deal even though it is a bit more. At least until we are able to travel a lot more.
So any suggestions as to what would be a good receiver without HD for now??
Thanks -- Frank O.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I like and use DirecTV because all normal programming comes off one satellite.

Does that mean the local channels AND the extended channels (ESPN, etc) come off one satellite? I have Dish Network and they come off of two, which sucks because my Winnegard roof dish can only hone in on one or the other.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jasonm:
Does that mean the local channels AND the extended channels (ESPN, etc) come off one satellite? I have Dish Network and they come off of two, which sucks because my Winnegard roof dish can only hone in on one or the other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, all programming comes off sat 101. My roof top auto dish can only look at one sat at a time. When home I receive all channels plus the Pittsburgh locals off sat 101. I was in Myrtle Beach and I turned off the Pgh locals and turned on the Carolina locals. The Carolina locals come off sat 101. When I'm in FL for the winter. I have the Tampa locals turned on The Tampa locals come off sat 101. I also always receive the east and west coast network feeds because I have an RV waiver on file with DirecTV. The east and west coast networks (LA & NY) are also broadcast on sat 101. Last winter I had the NFL games package. I got ALL NFL games off sat 101.

If you want some Spanish language channels and HDTV channels you need a multi LNB dish or swing the dish to another satellite. There are also a few small cities locals that are not broadcast on sat 101.

-Tom
Old 06-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Nice! I'll look into that!

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Actually the newer in motion dishes work fine with Dish 110 and 119 sat's. They go back and forth between the 2 sat's so fast it seems as if it is only one sat. Don't get me wrong I use Direct also but have on occasion used Dish.