Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #1

Help, Water pouring out under coach

We are on a cross country trip. We pulled into a campground and water started pouring out of a drain under our 2009 Suncruiser and didn't stop until our freshwater tank was empty. I don't know what the drain is for and have never used it. The water pressure is very low at the campground so we were using our water pump. When the water started pouring out we shut the pump off. We spent today driving but stopped often and no water was coming out. There is a line coming out of the top of the water tank and goes to this drain. Any ideas? Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I would think somehow you opened the main on board water tank drain since it completely emptied your tank. Or if you hooked up to the campground water and had it set to fill your tank and it started a siphon if overfilled.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #3

It's not the main on board water drain. It's a line coming from the top of the tank, across the top and elbows down to this drain. All the winterizing valves are in the right position. It is ciphoning out.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #4

Sounds as if the overflow drain started a siphon and emptied the tank. I understand how the siphon started when filling the tank, but not sure how it emptied tank.
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #5

It would need a dip tube into the tank to siphon. Once the water drops below the end of the tube it breaks the siphon action. Overflow lines do not generally have a dip tube or have a very short one to leave some air expansion space at the top of the tank. That leaves me thinking you are not looking at the correct source for your problems.

I'm thinking tank drain or the system for connecting the winterizing hose to the pump inlet. Anything past the pump is pressurized by city water and should leak when that is on. Your leak seems to be between the pump output and the tank.

I suppose somebody could put a long dip tube in from the top but it would not be self priming for the pump. Not a particularly good idea. That does not stop people from doing it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #6

Any pictures to help identify?
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #7

Human Error, sorry and Thanks

Oops, the tank was full and over flowing, just like it is supposed to do.

Knowing we would be camping in an overflow area tonight because of crowds, I filled our fresh water tank this morning. I inadvertently left it in "fill" mode. We got to the campground overflow area and there were water and electric hookups. I hooked up to water. When we settled in and used the toilet, the water pressure seemed very poor, not realizing I had left it in the fill position. The poor pressure seemed logical because we were camped in a gravel, storage area. We switched to to our water pump and decided to go sightseeing.

We walked to the car and saw water pouring out from under the coach. I did a visual check of the tank and didn't see a water line and thought it had been emptied by the drain. I have never used the gauge inside for the fresh water tank because a visual check is easy and better, ha ha. I assumed the water pouring out of the drain had emptied the tank. Panic and a call for your help.

I ran to the local hardware store and got a pvc fitting to plug the drain so I could at least fill the tank and use the water until I could solve the problem. As soon as I plugged the drain the tank started making noises. It was under too much pressure. I happened to look at the gauge in the coach and saw it read full. Uh oh. It all made sense.

The tank was over full and draining just like it should. Thank you for being available and trying to help. All ok now.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:34 AM   #8

Lol well I'm glad you got it figured out. I'm famous for over thinking things
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #9

While we are discussing drains for the fresh water tank, I would like to remind everyone to inspect their hoses. On our 2006 Sightseer, there is a 1-1/4" hose running from the tank down to the drain ball valve. That piece of corrugated hose started to develop leaks around the reinforcing cord spirals - on the back side where it flexed while traveling. It was a tough leak to troubleshoot and find, but eventually it made itself "findable". I bought some clear 1-1/4" Tygon (non-reinforced) hose from Lowe's and cut it to fit. It is a real booger bear to get started. I recommend a liberal application of dish soap and water!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water