Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello
I've had this for a little over a year and it just developed a Problem with the Electric
The button on the Dash that I would Normally hold for a few seconds (grn light) would come on and all the Coach lighting would run either off my battery or the Generator now I can hear the solenoid click but it just won't hold on
can anyone help

2nd ??
I bought it from a real wrong person after the sale he told me nothing so needless to say I have no Books on it nor anything else he Promised
so if you may know where to get anything on it please let me know
I email that link about getting wire diagram about a week or so ago and I've not heard back

Thanks
Tom

1990 Winnie Chieftain 31
Big Chevy
Everything but cent. Vac

ROARRRR!
Tommy__T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello
I've had this for a little over a year and it just developed a Problem with the Electric
The button on the Dash that I would Normally hold for a few seconds (grn light) would come on and all the Coach lighting would run either off my battery or the Generator now I can hear the solenoid click but it just won't hold on
can anyone help

2nd ??
I bought it from a real wrong person after the sale he told me nothing so needless to say I have no Books on it nor anything else he Promised
so if you may know where to get anything on it please let me know
I email that link about getting wire diagram about a week or so ago and I've not heard back

Thanks
Tom

1990 Winnie Chieftain 31
Big Chevy
Everything but cent. Vac

ROARRRR!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sounds like you are trying to start your generator. If so try the start button on the generator itself. Sounds like a bad 12 VDC connection some place.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your reply
But No I'm not trying to start the Gen. but If I hold this button down and the light goes on
I am then able to start the generator
in fact If I hold it down (light on) The generator will start but when I let off the switch (light out) it will shut the Generator down

ROARRRR!
Old 06-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

If your Chieftan is the same as my 89 Itasca Sunflyer, and I'm pretty sure it is. The switch beside the small green light is a master shutdown for the coach electrics. It is a momentary switch & only needs a flick to turn it on (light will come on) or off (light will go off). If you plug into a 110 volt electrical outlet, it will come on automatically, and can not be shut off while the coach is plugged in. I am not sure, but I think the same situation exists if the generator is running. If you are not plugged in nor running on the generator, you may not have enough voltage to hold the selenoid the switch is connected to. It is possible that the selenoid/relay is bad. The selenoids are located in the electrical panel in the engine compartment just below the driver side of the windsheild. There are two of them, one for battery isolation and the other for master power. I would check the master power one to make sure it is working properly.

bluegrasser
89 Sunflyer, original owner
07 Ford Expedition
Sandy, Penny & Esme the Springer Spaniel
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

bluegrasser
Thank you thank you
I'm not good with words
you explained exactly what it is ,and you say it should be the same as your 89 Itasca Sunflyer I hope it is.
If so you maybe great help too me
the electrical panel IS in the engine compartment just below the driver side of the windshield ,I don't have the coach here now but will look for the solenoids
Are you saying that the Generator should run and THEN the light will come on ??
If so ?? that is not the case with mine the light has to be on for the generator to turn over
Do you know where I can get and Info on my Coach ie electric wiring even Dash pictures and what each Button is for I really am clueless about a few of them

Thank you
Tom

ROARRRR!
Old 07-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Tom: Sorry to be slow at replying to your requests, We've been out pickin & grinnin bluegrass. I will see what I can come up with re: the switches and a test proceedure for the selenoids. I had a similar problem with mine and it was indeed the selenoid that had gone bad along with the convertor/charger.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Sandy
No need to worry about response time I'm grateful, I also have been away fishing and had no access to the web.
I wish I had the coach here so that I could take some pic's and look for this solenoid ?
I'm feeling and hoping its that solenoid and also hoping its an easy fix
here is a link I found, if you don't mind looking at it
I'm thinking this is another thing that is wrong with mine or maybe its all the same One

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/56310843541

Thanks
Tom

ROARRRR!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Tom: I've had a little time to check out sources of more info on what I think you should be looking at. The following site has info on the battery disconnect relay that may be giving you your problem. Go to http://windsurf.mediaforte.com/roadt...5322019100.pdf or google battery disconnect relay and you should find this site. It's several pages of pdf with a troubleshooting section.

The relays/selenoids are not visible when you remove the cover from the electrical panel. You need to remove the screws at the top of the inside panel and gently drop it down on its hinge to expose the relays/selenoids. The smaller one is for the dual/momentary switch on the dash. The larger one that looks like the one on the website is probably the one that's giving you trouble, it's activated by the switch with the green light. Check the 2, 5 amp fuses in the holders, watch the little jumper wires.
Let me know how you make out