Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #15

IF this "feature" is part of the new software and can't be changed, then fine, it should have been noted to the troops in a timely manner as an FAQ or even a post across the various forums. That didn’t happen. All-of-a-sudden with no notification whatsoever came this across the board restriction, and within hours of it being invoked I got caught. I thought there were either server problems or issues with my PC only to stumble across a recent post concerning the lockdown (and this is why I am so mad). But instead of some reasonable notification and /or explanation of what just occurred, was a (paraphrase, and not too far off) “screw you, if you don't like it, go elsewhere” attitude from the administrator.

TXIceman: I don't know where you hang, but this is the ONLY forum that I know of that has invoked this policy. RV.net has 1000% the traffic that this forum does and it is unrestricted, as well as several RC and salt water aquarium forms I frequent. I have gone back and updated posts and pictures of both forums without issue, until now.

From the comments I see here it’s all of us who apparently have the same opinion, against the forum owners with their take it or leave it response. I think I’ll leave it.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As others have said, this is the ONLY forumn that I visit, and participate in, that proposes this.. Seems like a good way to run folks off, business must be good. I used to play " Mother May I ?", but I got over it about 65 years ago..I sure don't want to leave erroneous information ( however unintentional ) posted, nor do I want to leave
misspelled/ungramatic postings, my main reasons to edit, but to have to ask permission to correct them, I don't think so. Perhaps the administrators should refresh their understanding of the symbiosis that make boards like this possible...rgr...
Old 12-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
..... John, I'm not sure where you heard that information, but in THIS RECENTLY CLOSED THREAD about the edit feature, "Hitchhiker" (the administrator) said this, and I quote:

In regard to the edit/delete policy, the changes put in place recently are in alignment with the provisions of the new platform (vBulletin) that we're developing for this site. We plan to retain that feature, although we are currently discussing the 15 minute grace period that immediately follows making a post. Many other forums have such a limit and it's not unusual to have one. Our rationale has already been explained.

It appears that this change was due to a software change for the website.

By some more language in Hitchhiker's post on that thread, it appears that if you don't like the new "rules", don't let the door hit you in the "you know what" on the way out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There is no such requirement with vBulletin Version 3.7.0 software because I just successfully edited a post of mine that was two months old on another forum, so I have no idea where that pronouncement is coming from.

Clearly, iRV2 is way, way out in left field on this situation unless there is something really profound that I don't understand.

BTW, vBulletin BBS software is my very favorite forum software (not free), and phpBBS is my favorite free forum software.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
Old 12-09-2008, 04:28 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm kinda surprised that this thread has survived this long
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
Old 12-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow... I go away on a trip and come back to find this new restriction, which I find to be a bit extreme, IMO. I'm a member of several large forums and I've been a super moderator and an administrator of a couple of non-RV related forums (childbirth ed. related), so I do think I have a good idea of what I'm talking about here. Editing has not been a problem. I've never been to another forum that used a 15 min. allowance, either, some using this same software. I don't think it's as common as they would like us to think.

Perhaps the staff's difficulties could have been better resolved by requiring a reason be submitted before the edit takes affect. I often use the edit feature for misspellings and such and do admit that I don't always type the reason (but I would if it were required...no biggie there). Also, as someone else said earlier, PMs should be issued for those individuals who have abused the system instead of penalizing the whole board. As admin. of another forum, I think the staff here will be making more work for themselves by expecting folks to ask them to do edits for them. I know that I sure wouldn't want to have to keep doing that as a staff member.

Hey.. Maybe that's our answer, if you get my drift!

~Lori
Old 12-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a member of many tech forums (too many!) and most have a time limit and or number of edits for editing. I think the reasoning behind it is well, resonable.

I did edit this post!
Old 12-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #21

Let's see what we have here...

- There no technical requirement with vBulletin that would prohibit later editing of posts

- I have actually never experienced a forum that restricts editing and I am active on a number of forums

- I am very active on the Winnie forum and I am not aware of any issues or concerns in our forum due to editing

- Our Winnie forum is *magnitudes* more active than any other on iRV2

iRV2 history according to Canfield...

- Bill Rowell started iRV2 (with Groupee as the BBS vendor) as an adjunct to his business of selling rv accessories and it grew slowly

- And it continued to grow

- And it continued to grow

- Bob Gregory bought in as a partner to iRV2

- And it started to run out of server space (not because of Bob )

- Bill and Bob sell out their ownership to (forgot his name)

--speculation follows since I'm not one of the inner circle--

- Apparently the new owner is going to move iRV2 to another host using vBulletin because Groupee Infopop uses proprietary BBS software.

- All of a sudden, we have a rather bizarre (bizarre to me, but then I'm not part of the inner circle) new editing policy

2 and 2 keep adding up to 5 here

Old 12-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #22

And yet the mystery continues....

I find tonight (12/9/08 at 8:16 PM EST) that two of my postings which were separated by a rather intemperate posting are now adjacent (no separation by that posting). I wonder who has the ability to delete said missing posting, effectively destroying the continuity on this topic.

Just wondering....

Wendell
Old 12-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #23

I have on principal stopped visiting any of the forums on iRV2 since we were all told by Admin if we didn't like it to move on, I have. RV.net doesn't have this ridiculous rule nor the attitude to it's users (unless they deserve it).

But I can't help watching this thread that continues to fuel itself by those who just don't buy the "reasoning" for this ridiculous action, including John who IS familiar with the software and also calls nonsense.

I would really be curious what the sponsors of this forum think about spending their money supporting a flippant staff and their entire customer base being flat-out told to leave?

If I was Winnebago or Lichtsinn Motors, RVupgrades, and the rest of those who support this form as a whole, and who I personally have done business with because they are here, I would think twice.

Admin: Get your moderators to do their job and council the one or two offenders as any other board does with occasional problems. Isn't that why you chose them?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
Old 12-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #24

Well said, Jeff
Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 AM   #25

One of their advertisers *has* complained in the infamous 'locked out' thread.

Obviously the inner circle are going to just let us rant until this dies out. It would be way over the top and draconian if this thread was shut down.

I do not feel like this is a happy and contented little community, one where we are treated as family, trusted, and I'm not sure I want to be part if it any longer.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:56 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Maybe this topic needs to be presented in one of the broader categories (not just the Winnebago section). It does seem, IMHO, that many are being restricted for the inappropriate practices of a few.

Perhaps a poll is the method to elevate the issue.

Just some thoughts. The whole thing does seem to be souring the taste of irv2 - or maybe it's an unfortunate result of the ownership change - not sure. I don't recall so many complaints before - used to seem like a happy group! Maybe the new owner can chime in here and get things patched up.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:48 AM   #27
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't believe this thread should propagate it self in the Winnebago Forum. It is not a Winnebago issue. I would feel bad to see it come to a point that it degrades the friendship we have on this forum. I can assure you that there is a legitimate reason for the time limit on editing your posts. Hopefully that reason will surface.

Can you visualize someone starting a thread and having about 20 replies and that someone goes back and either deletes his post or edits it to make the 20 replies look stupid? If we all can be a little patient I am sure this subject is being discussed by the Administrators.

I would suggest that those of us who have a problem with the edit policy send a PM to an Administrator or post a thread in the Technical Support & Help Forum.

I would like to wish all our Winnebago Friends a Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 12-10-2008, 04:57 AM   #28

Hi Don,

I have suspected for some time we are not being presented with the real reason for the change of the edit policy - my guess is it has something to do with the cost of hosting.

Personally I don't think there is any point in directing these concerns and issues to administration - they are undoubtedly well aware of them.

Now I find out somebody in administration has taken a very dramatic step of banning a forum member due to his position on the edit policy.

This is absolutely spinning out of control - maybe when the hole gets deep enough, somebody will take the shovel away.

Closed Thread