Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

History of Minnie Winnie 25B Chassis/Engine

My wife and I are looking for a used later model MW 25B with an E450/V10 combination.
Can someone tell me when this combo was offered as standard on this model?
It appears that in 2016 that the 350/V8 was standard but the 450/V10 was an option. In 2014 the Chevy Vortec V8/3500 was standard?
What years should we be looking for to get the E450/V10 as standard?
Thanks!
Vtwin996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

This Winnebago Product Information | Motorhome & RV Information
should help you out. You can also lookup Itasca Spirit, which would be the same as the minnie winnie. Winnebago did not offer the minnie or spirit in all model years. I don't know why it would make a difference if the E450 or whatever was standard or an option on older MHs ?
For 2014 I don't see a Chevy being offered on any size Minnie Winnie. The 22 on an E350 has the option of V8 or v10, the 25 is on an E350 with V10, While all others are E450s with V10.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Mich,
Thanks for the link. The reason I wanted to know which engine / chassis was standard for a given year is that when looking on sites like RV trader, it's often not listed what engine / chassis the unit is on. If I knew what was standard for that year I could narrow the search down to specific years. I realize that the original buyer could have upgraded from the standard package though,
Thanks.
Vtwin996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtwin996 View Post
Mich,
Thanks for the link. The reason I wanted to know which engine / chassis was standard for a given year is that when looking on sites like RV trader, it's often not listed what engine / chassis the unit is on. If I knew what was standard for that year I could narrow the search down to specific years. I realize that the original buyer could have upgraded from the standard package though,
Thanks.
In the few years I've checked the 25B only comes on the E350 cab and chassis. Standard engine is the V8 with the V10 as an option.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Just got a 2016 Minnie 25B with E350 V8 engine. Previously owned a 2015 25B with the V10 that was totaled in a collision. We were very concerned that our replacement was not available with the identical engine. Now that we have test driven it on the interstate, we feel like there is plenty of power.
Prior to purchase, I made several calls to Ford and Winnebago. I learned that the 2017 25B is on E450 with V10. That is standard. Winnebago says they build with available chassis. I was also told by more than one person that the 450 would be a much rougher ride. Therefore, we opted to go with the 2016 model.
Have not driven it enough to know how the gas mileage will be. Our 2015 got about 8 mpg without a toad.
daisylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Only 8 mpg on the 2015 Minnie Winnie 25B?

Were buying a 2015 25B from rental company and picking it up Sept. 17th. Our 1998 22ft. Minnie w/ a Ford V10 that we just sold averaged between 10 to 11 MPG. Usually the more I held it back to 55 MPH, I would achieve the best miles per gallon. I asked the salesmen what the MPG might be expected with the 2015 25B with the Ford V10 and he thought if I was careful about 9 to 10 MPG. So to hear that I may only be getting 8 MPG is kind of disappointing. Would you say you drive it with a pretty heavy foot. Hows the MPG with the 2016 and the 5.4L V8? (we almost bought that instead).
gladu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My husband was the driver of our Minnie for the 8 mpg. That was keeping it under 65 mph on pretty flat terrain (east coast NC/SC). I can typically squeak out a bit more mileage as I feel I'm a little lighter with the foot. Only had one 5 wk trip (12 hr. round trip) as a test for the 2015.
I will be doing all or part of the driving with our new 16 Minnie. Wish I had some figures to share but waiting for first camping trip later this month.
If you stick to 55, I bet you can get 9mpg!
Very impressive mileage for your 98 Minnie!
Would love to hear some feedback later......hope you enjoy it, don't think you will be sorry.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Reported MPG with the 5.4L V8 and Winnie 25B

We ended up getting a new 2016 Itasca Spirit 25B instead of the 2015 Minnie Winnie 25B from the rental fleet. The 2016 25B is on a E350 chassis and has a Ford 5.4L V8. We took it today for a 150 mile test drive and I thought i would report the performance since there doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews from people with this engine in Class C motorhomes. We drove from Anchorage, Ak to Summit Lake and back, 150 miles. There were head winds going there and tail winds coming back. We averaged 60 miles per hour. Going up Turnagain Pass a fairly long steep grade we had no trouble maintaining 55 MPH. near the top of the pass where the grade is steepest I did put it in Tow Haul mode and that kept it in a lower gear without hunting, we weren't towing anything. Our gas mileage was 9.3 MPG, which I think is not too bad for a 26ft motorhome, I would expect on an interstate in the lower 48 along flat country 10 MPG or better could be achieved. Of course the V10 would be better for towing. The 2017 25B is also on a E350 chassis with the 5.4L V8. Both years the E450 chassis and V10 is an option. So far we are happy with the RV.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My Minnie Winnie 22R usually gets around 9-10 m.p.g. But I've actually coaxed it to 11 m.p.g.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladu2 View Post
We ended up getting a new 2016 Itasca Spirit 25B instead of the 2015 Minnie Winnie 25B from the rental fleet. The 2016 25B is on a E350 chassis and has a Ford 5.4L V8. We took it today for a 150 mile test drive and I thought i would report the performance since there doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews from people with this engine in Class C motorhomes. We drove from Anchorage, Ak to Summit Lake and back, 150 miles. There were head winds going there and tail winds coming back. We averaged 60 miles per hour. Going up Turnagain Pass a fairly long steep grade we had no trouble maintaining 55 MPH. near the top of the pass where the grade is steepest I did put it in Tow Haul mode and that kept it in a lower gear without hunting, we weren't towing anything. Our gas mileage was 9.3 MPG, which I think is not too bad for a 26ft motorhome, I would expect on an interstate in the lower 48 along flat country 10 MPG or better could be achieved. Of course the V10 would be better for towing. The 2017 25B is also on a E350 chassis with the 5.4L V8. Both years the E450 chassis and V10 is an option. So far we are happy with the RV.
Thank you for your post! That is wonderful news on both gas mileage and performance of the V8. I don't think you will regret getting the 2016! There are so many little upgrades from the 15. Did you have anything in your Spirit or was it empty? Did you get the side camera/mirror option?
We are hoping to getting away for first trip next week. Congrats on the rig!!

2016 Minnie Winnie 25B
Old 08-18-2016, 02:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Options on 2016 Spirit 25B

Yes, we have the side cameras and heated mirrors, but after driving for a while the cameras fog up inside. Winnebago is replacing them under warranty. We also have the heated drainage system, dual pane windows, a nice cap on the cabover, satellite radio, graphics upgrade, nicer upholstery then the 2015, an extra TV in the back, power awning with LED lights, the convenience package, trailer hitch, the color is Rockslide/ Vienna Maple. I'm adding a spare tire from Costco, Max Air roof vent covers and I ordered a kit so I can add a bypass valve and siphon hose to enable winterizing with RV antifreeze instead of compressed air. Seems the back bed is too tall for my wife, so we will get a stool or I'll make something. I'm thinking of taking the mirror down in the bathroom and putting up a light shallow medicine cabinet over the sink. Since there's no pantry in the galley, we'll probably store food in the cabinet over the couch. I ordered a sink cover on Ebay that i think will fit the large sink in the galley, since there's no counter space.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:03 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladu2 View Post
Yes, we have the side cameras and heated mirrors, but after driving for a while the cameras fog up inside. Winnebago is replacing them under warranty. We also have the heated drainage system, dual pane windows, a nice cap on the cabover, satellite radio, graphics upgrade, nicer upholstery then the 2015, an extra TV in the back, power awning with LED lights, the convenience package, trailer hitch, the color is Rockslide/ Vienna Maple. I'm adding a spare tire from Costco, Max Air roof vent covers and I ordered a kit so I can add a bypass valve and siphon hose to enable winterizing with RV antifreeze instead of compressed air. Seems the back bed is too tall for my wife, so we will get a stool or I'll make something. I'm thinking of taking the mirror down in the bathroom and putting up a light shallow medicine cabinet over the sink. Since there's no pantry in the galley, we'll probably store food in the cabinet over the couch. I ordered a sink cover on Ebay that i think will fit the large sink in the galley, since there's no counter space.
This is great information!! The first couple drives our mirrors were fine and then we got the fog. So happy to know they are faulty, thought maybe it was our extreme heat/humidity. We have the Rockslide/maple interior as well and love it. We have all the same features except no satellite radio. Love the front cap too. We put a cutting board/stovetop cover on which is wonderful. (Amazon) Also added 3 smoke Maxxair vents, a sink cover over the smaller side of sink (DIY) and a chrome tip for the exhaust pipe. We have a "bed stool" which is a small foldable sold at Camping World. We opted not to have the spare tire due to the weight and the fact that it is too heavy for my husband (70+) to change so will rely on Road Asst. If you will send me a private message with your email, I will send you a pic of simple modification to help load bathrm cabinet. Also stovetop cover. I don't know how to post pics here.
Lastly, I just learned that the bath sink is plumbed to the black tank along with toilet! Also the dash radio runs off the chassis battery when playing it with engine off.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:10 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Winterizing

For our 2015, we winterized by blowing air and then adding antifreeze thru the city water intake. We used a small handpump. Opted for this method rather than trying to deal with the "under mattress" situation.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:39 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylu View Post
For our 2015, we winterized by blowing air and then adding antifreeze thru the city water intake. We used a small handpump. Opted for this method rather than trying to deal with the "under mattress" situation.
I might take a hole saw and make a hole in the bed stand big enough to direct the antifreeze siphon tube. Then cover the hole when I'm not using it with a blank cover, brown like the existing switch covers. That way I won't have to prop the mattress too long and can set the jug of antifreeze on the floor outside the bed. I want to make sure I get antifreeze to the pump too, so the bypass valve will be plumbed on the intake side of the pump. Looks like in my case I'll have to move the pump 2 or 3 ins to install the bypass valve.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:04 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Winterizing

You don't have to use the cut out under the mattress to get to the water pump,go into the side storage compartment and remove the screws in the side panel the water pump & drain valve is right there you can add a winterizing valve kit and make winterizing easy, I cut the side panel and made a access door so I could get to the valve with out removing the screws every time I wanted to drain the fresh water tank or add antifreeze to the system.
lkymth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkymth View Post
You don't have to use the cut out under the mattress to get to the water pump,go into the side storage compartment and remove the screws in the side panel the water pump & drain valve is right there you can add a winterizing valve kit and make winterizing easy, I cut the side panel and made a access door so I could get to the valve with out removing the screws every time I wanted to drain the fresh water tank or add antifreeze to the system.
Thank you! of course, that makes great sense! Need to check out that panel & would love to have an access door there! Had a 2015 prior to our '16 and never could get that basket filter off the water pump! Hope you are enjoying your 25B. We love it!
Old 09-26-2016, 12:54 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advice, that access sounds better then my original idea. We have a winterization kit added now to our Spirit 25B one made by Camco. I added about 5ft to the siphon hose so I can set the antifreeze on the floor outside the bed while it's going in. Plan to carry 2 or 3 gallons of antifreeze when we leave Alaska in a few days in case we have to winterize on the side of the road. Might have to prop the mattress with a chair while I do it if I don't access the valves from the trunk like you do. Also plan to carry a socket to drain the water heater before I bypass that.

Tags
chassis, engine