Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Our 1994 Minnie Winnie is a 24ft. coach.

Behind it is a 2" receiver. What tongue weight can I expect it to support? We want to put a wheel-less rack on this receiver and load a 1,050lb. golf cart to follow us down the road.

Where can I find the load rating of this receiver?
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:50 AM   #2
I helped | retired moderator

Winnebago may have that info available.

However, I would suspect the tow capacity of the hitch is no more than 3,500#, and the weight carrying capacity may be in the 350# range.

IMHO, I don't think your MH or hitch is capable of the loads you ask about, and most likely cannot be reinforced to support those loads.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If the label is still there, every hitch has this info on it. There will be a sticker stating the class hitch, tow rating, and tongue rating. Even the class will give you what you need. As Route 66 says, if it is only 3500# towing, you do not have enough.

Also, you need to look at leverage in this case. There are websites for those racks that will show you the effect. In short, the tongue weight is measured AT THE HITCH. When you add weight that is hanging off the back out in the air, you are adding leverage and amplifying the effective weight at the hitch. Here is a link to Blue OX that shows you this and the weight you are adding to the rear axle with one of these lifts. http://www.blueox.us/Carriers/carriercalculation.pdf

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by jrnutpaul:

Behind it is a 2" receiver. What tongue weight can I expect it to support? We want to put a wheel-less rack on this receiver and load a 1,050lb. golf cart to follow us down the road.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/19...MinnieWinnie-bro.pdf

I see that a 'trailer towing package with class II hitch' is listed as an option. Looks like a Ford 460 was the standard available engine and that your MH has a GVWR of 11,500 lbs. No specific towing or hitch tongue weights are listed that I can see, but the Class II should be an indication. (But then look at the description for Class II...)

From the U-Haul website:

Class 1 (Class I) hitch
Trailer hitch with capacity of up to 2,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 200 lbs tongue weight.

Class 2 (Class II) hitch
Trailer hitch with weight-carrying rating of up to 3,500 lbs gross trailer weight and 300/350 lbs tongue weight.

Class 3 (Class III) hitch
Trailer hitch with weight carrying rating of up to 5,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 500 lbs tongue weight. Also sometimes used to refer to a hitch with any 2" receiver, regardless of rating.

Class 4 (Class IV) hitch
Trailer hitch with weight carrying rating of up to 10,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 1,000 - 1,200 lbs tongue weight. Although many times any hitch with a capacity greater than 5,000 lbs gross weight is referred to as a Class 4
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:

jrnutpaul;

What is the name of the golf cart carrier that fits in the receiver and has no wheels???

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

It is called a "Carry-All" I simply googled golf cart carry racks.

http://www.carryallracks.com/custom.htm
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I am new to this forum and have recently purchased a 97 24' minnie apparently with the same hitch. I looked through the paperwork and it appears to be a class II, the sticker on the hitch is long gone. In looking over the hitch itself, it appears no less sturdier than the one that came on my truck as part of the tow package. I pull an 18' open trailer with my car, loaded weighing aroun 4500-4700lbs. I see coaches similar and smaller than mine pulling trailers this size and larger all the time, probably exceeding their Gross vehicle weight. My question is its apparent the hitch itself is strong enough to handle 5000lbs, is there extra support or bracing needed to sure up the back frame to tow this amount?
Rob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Check out RvRover.net this is a cool golf cart
Tampa Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Rob go talk to a hitch guy. He might tell you that these hitches are good for much more weight then they describe however I do believe the receiver can be beefed up.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:

The stamping and class of the receiver is overidden by the capacity of the frame extensions that Winnie installed it on. Your best info would probably come from calling the Winnebago cutomer support number and asking them directly.

I really don't expect over a 250 lb capacity on tongue weight with 350 probably being the max so a 1,050lb golf cart on a wheel-less hitch mounted rack is most likely not going to work safely.

Your suspension and rear axel on that chassis probably won't safely handle that load either regardless of the hitch rating.

If you had something like a big HaulMark on a 50,000 lb cab an chassis then this might be doable but don't expect too much on a Minnie.

Flat bed trailer or platform with caster wheels is what you probably would need.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:52 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

A quick observation from the mfg page shows me that they have beefed up the "hitch" considerably to carry that weight - hopefull they go in far enough on the frame to keep the load evenly distributed.

If they do all that you may have a winner there.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

I never leave home without my golfcart and was looking at carrying it the same way. I decided on buying a truck and towing 4 wheel down with cart in the bed. I was alittle concerned about the weight.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Probably a good idea as the rear weight would lighten the front end and effect the steering and handling of the motorhome.
What is the weight of the truck and will it have brakes while towing?
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
Probably a good idea as the rear weight would lighten the front end and effect the steering and handling of the motorhome.
What is the weight of the truck and will it have brakes while towing?
Jerry, if that question was for me the answer is yes I have the smi brake system on my tow veh. I cant remember the weight of the truck But I will go out and look.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

jdsr
My fault, I was refering to the 1994 24' Winnie Minnie's hitch with a 1050 lb. load on it.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote