RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2018, 05:40 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
holding tank level indicators

I have a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 37B. I have an issue with the holding tank level indicators. For some time now my black and grey tank level indicators always show two lights immediately after emptying. They grey will seemingly advance to the forth lite (red) after just a few days use. While in a campground with full hookups i purposely let it get into the red and showered a couple times along with normal use. There was no backup ( I kept checking the shower drain). My next thought is to completely remove the metal panel in the black/grey water dump compartment to see if there is something that has caused the level indicators to have a problem. I am looking for suggestions with regards to a solution prior to me removing the panel in the water compartment.

2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
codgerbill-

This is a frequent topic on iRV2. Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the terms "tank," "level" and "indicator" in them.

Here's the summary of what you'll read:

1) They aren't broken.
2) Short of cleaning your tanks to reduce the crud on their insides, there's nothing you can do to make the existing indicators work better.
3) There are some aftermarket systems that- properly installed- work better.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:06 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought a cleaning "wand", and was able to clean the sensors in my black tank. They are made in two different styles, rigid (or straight) and flexible. Since my tank is off-set from the holding tank I used the flexible wand. Worked for this past Novi Michigander.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The sensors are famous for being wrong and not reporting the correct level, it's the sensors on the tanks not the gauges you see. There are several chemical responses to the issue, to fill the tanks part way add soap(dawn) and a additive to soften the water, then drive around a while. Works sometimes. Sea-Level(and a couple other brands) makes sensors that are installed outside the tanks and are not affected by contents as the factory sensors sitting in the solutions are.

LEN
Old 01-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #5

Our sensors are on the outside of the tank. Solved the incorrect reading by our gray water sensors by: 1) avoiding grease and oil going into the tank by wiping it off pans, plates, bowls before washing 2) dumped a big bottle of dishwasher detergent into sink and filled gray water tank with hot water from hose hooked up to water heater drain faucet at home before leaving on a trip. Emptied gray water the next morning. 3) Switched to Dawn platinum dish detergent, a great grease cutting detergent. Readings have been correct now for over two years since doing this because the grease/oil has been cleaned off the inside of the tank and Dawn now cuts any grease/oil that does get down into the tank.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
Commercial Member

in their best day, the inside the tank level indicators were a guess. not even a good guess.
after a while, you get used to dumping by time used. that at least is an educated guess. the outside indicators seem to work better. at least thats what i use now.

azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, tank