Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Holding Tanks

1986 Winnie Elandan 32 footer..
On the control panel I see HT1 , HT2 and HT3 along with Water Level..
So why 3 holding tanks? The Water Level switch shows the water level in
the potable water tank so no issue there..
There is gray water and black water tanks so what is the third tank if it
even has a third tank?
So the toilet drains into the black water tank and all the other drains, sink's and shower, drain into the gray water tank..right?
We had a drain issue yesterday using the on board potable water and pump
we were cleaning out a tub in the kitchen sink and noticed the water wasn't
going down the drain anymore. I tested the bathroom sink too and it wasn't draining fast either. After what seemed about 15 to 30 minutes I heard and observed a gurgling sound and air bubbles coming up through the bathroom sink drain and then the sink emptied out and so did the kitchen sink too. Not sure what all that means right now but another question is how far out of level can the RV be and still drain ok?
Thanks,
Bruce
Ham_Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sometimes there is a second grey water tank for the kitchen sink. The vent is probably your problem, check on the roof to make sure you can see all the way to the tank. You may have vacuum breakers on the sinks rather than a vent stack, in that case the vacuum breaker may have failed. The oldest Elandan plumbing diagram is 1990, 1990 Elandan P32RQ Plumbing Diagram , but it may be the same as yours.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to blacktruck
Arrow Holding tanks

Sir
I am a new MH owner and have only used mine one time but here is what I have on my 89 Elandan. There are three holding tanks. # 1 is for the black water, #2 is for the kitchen, #3 is for the lavatory sink and shower. #2 and 3 are grey water tanks. The location of the tanks on mine in my limited experience and also common sense knowledge of things would not appear to be affected by not being level. Now the caveat to that is if the coach is really far off level it could. I'm not sure you would be usiing it like that. Just my thoughts.
Stay safe out there.
Ken
Old 07-08-2012, 03:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Due to tank location, some have grey going into the black. This is usually a way to ease the routing of the plumbing or to save the manufacturer money. Sounds like you have a plugged vent.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Slow draining can be an accumulation in the P trap. You can take the cover off the shower drain by removing one screw on mine. I then insert a piece of bailing wire with a hook on the end. You will be stunned to see how big of a rat you pull out. Kitchen sinks fill with grease etc. Often it is very easy to remove the P traps and clean them out. Could be a vent tube but I suspect your drains are plugged. My 08 really surprised me how much stuff was in there.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I will take a look under the RV and see how many tanks there are and how they are hooked up. I do have the plumbing diagram that was sent to me by Winnebago and will look at again but I thought I saw only 2 holding tanks. I will check the vents to make sure they are open plus open all the P traps to make sure they aren't plugged either.
Thanks to all that replied..
Bruce
Old 07-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ok, now have more info from Winnebago on this..
Yes there are three tanks MAIN(stool), AUX(shower) and AUX(galley/lav) so in thier reply I am not sure if they are refering to my question HT1=MAIN, HT2=aux(shower) and HT3=aux(galley/lav) so I asked that specifically so I'll see what they say. To my surprise and embarrassment I was looking at the dump valves for black water and gray water and there was a third valve behind the one that is easy to see (gray water from shower) and must be for the galley/lav sinks gray water. So this may be the reason i am seeing a max level on HT3 because I never did dump it because I never saw the valve, until now..so I think that's why my sink drains in the galley and lav are not draining fast..
Mystry almost solved just need verification now..
Bruce
Old 07-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Due to tank location, some have grey going into the black. This is usually a way to ease the routing of the plumbing or to save the manufacturer money. Sounds like you have a plugged vent.
On my 95' Safari Trek the bathroom sink drains to the black tank.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Don't know about you, but I hardly ever use my bathroom sink. Maybe for a glass of water to take some meds or a drink of water in the middle of the night.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote