Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Is there anyone who can tell me how I can remove my Hot water heater from my Journey. I need to replace the Electric heating element and was told I need to pull the heater out to do this. I e-mailed Bryan Funke at Winnebago he sent me a print out of my hot water heater on how to install the element but didnt tell me on how I can get it the hot water heater out. So any help on this matter would be very much helpful. The problem that I am having is that I dont know what to start taking apart first. If someone can walk me though this step by step it would be a big help. Ron

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Is there anyone who can tell me how I can remove my Hot water heater from my Journey. I need to replace the Electric heating element and was told I need to pull the heater out to do this. I e-mailed Bryan Funke at Winnebago he sent me a print out of my hot water heater on how to install the element but didnt tell me on how I can get it the hot water heater out. So any help on this matter would be very much helpful. The problem that I am having is that I dont know what to start taking apart first. If someone can walk me though this step by step it would be a big help. Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 10-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It took me about 3 hours to get my hot water heater out. This is my 3rd post asking for help and also on the chat line. I cant believe know one has had this problem in the past. I thought this web site was for help on common problems but like I said this was my 3rd atempt to ask for help and know one wanted to help me out! so know one needs to reply I see 40 people have read it and know one replyed. I got the heater out and it is in my shed and I will repair it in the morning. Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 10-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ron,
Glad you got the water heater out and good luck in replacing the element/
While you have had 40+ "lookers" at your situation, they maybe were all just trying to learn from your experience, or had a similar event happen to them. Your expectations of instant help may be a little over the top. Good luck and happy trails!!
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

Celebration Florida
Old 10-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Jeepers Ron, relax a little. Maybe none of the 40 people who viewed your post knew how to remove the waterheater. I know I didn't! When we had water heater problems in our previous rv (travel trailer) we let the dealer take it out and fix it. Now since you were successful in getting your's out how about telling the rest of us how you did it so we'll know how?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Geez Ron, don't get mad at the forum cause no one had the answer to your problem. I am sure that if you waited more than a day or so someone might have been able to offer some sort of solution. Or maybe no one that frequents the forum these days has had that issue. Your other posts were of different problems with the water heater.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Ron,
Glad you got the water heater out. I first read your post today while at work and was planning to take a closer look at my Journey when I got home to see if I could at least suggest a procedure. I got home late and it was dark so didn't get to it.

Now that you've got it out, it would be great if you'd post the steps in case others need to tackle the same task.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron and Patti:
Is there anyone who can tell me how I can remove my Hot water heater from my Journey. I need to replace the Electric heating element and was told I need to pull the heater out to do this. I e-mailed Bryan Funke at Winnebago he sent me a print out of my hot water heater on how to install the element but didnt tell me on how I can get it the hot water heater out. So any help on this matter would be very much helpful. The problem that I am having is that I dont know what to start taking apart first. If someone can walk me though this step by step it would be a big help. Ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ron,

The last time I did this was on a 95 Vectra but since the element was on the front of the heater you did not have to pull the water heater in order to replace the element. You may have something special and out of the norm that you actually need to pull the tank. If you have a incident open with Winnebago there is your best source of advice.

Your parts manual, on page 292 at the link listed below, only shows the front element water heater which you shouldn't have to remove in order to replace the element, so I would not be able to advise you on anything different.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/...1/1wkp36ld.pdf

On the front element you would simply open the access panel, disconnect the two wires, unscrew the old element using the correct socket, cleanup the gasket mating surfaces and then follow the instruction that came with the new element for sealing and screwing it in before filling it with water and hooking the electric back up. Takes less than an hour.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:48 AM   #10
KIX
Winnebago Master

Ron, I also had a question that no one answered until it was too late. Man, did that make me mad. It's hard to understand just why forum contributors weren't just sitting at their PC's anxiously awaiting my questions so that they could send an answer. The nerve of those people.....not having the answer I was looking for. The whole world is going downhill. Personally, I just won't stand for it anymore......how about you?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Old 10-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Easy guys.

It's true that some posts take a little longer than others to get answered. Sometimes it's a difficult question that not many RVers can answer. Sometimes no one knows the answer. Sometimes the timing just isn't right.

But, the point's been made and we're starting to get borderline with our posts here. Remember , this is iRV2, not that "other" forum.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

First of all I would like to (Apologize) about my post yesterday. I just was upset that know one seem to know how I could get the heater out after posting it three times in the last six weeks. Again I am sorry. Well it was easy to remove it looked like it was going to be an all day project but it took me about a hour to remove after I found the tools I needed to do the job. Well here is what I did if anyone wonts to do this themselves. (Keep in mine you will get dirty). You will need to remove the screws around the perimeter of the heater (phillip head screws) turn off your LP tank and disconnected the LP line to the gas regulator on the water heater. Go under you motorhome and you will see two wire ties that hold your water lines up going to the rear of the heater they are just tide up so they dont hang. Cut the wire ties off so the two lines hang down this will enable you to get the heater out easy thay are the two black heater hoses running from the motor. Once the screws and regulator have been removed pull the water heater half way out and remove the 12 volt wiring it is a quit disconect located on the rightside of the heater you will see it when the heat is half way out. Then you can pull in out completely there is enough room to work on it. I rested mine on a milk crate. Winnebago left enough water line in the rear of the heater to pull out and sevice it. But when I got my heater out I was not a happy camper I found that the back of the heater was in bad shape all kinds of rust and burned wires. I didnt even attempt to put in the heating element, instead I ordered a new water heater for saftey reasons I thought it was in my best interest to buy a new one. It should be here on Monday so I can get it installed and get back out on the road again. Again I am sorry about my last post everyone has been helpful to me in the past. Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 10-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

That's great. We're glad to hear that you got it out okay. It sounds like a thankless job. If your Atwood heater was rusty on the back you probably did good by replacing it. It'll give you many more years of trouble free water heating and it's one less thing to worry about. Hopefuly the new one will go in easier than the old one came out. Thanks for sharing.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the update Ron! After reading how you did it I may try it myself if I ever need to in the future. I'm also a life time member of Good Sam! I never thought of adding that information to my profile until I saw yours. Good idea, I'm going to update my profile to include that info. Glad to hear your water heater troubles are (almost) over!
Old 10-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the update Ron. It is nice to see that some folks can do some maintenance on there own. Hope it all works out for you.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:16 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Something that I forgot to Ad in the post yesterday and is important Atwood changed model numbers I have GCH10A-3E water heater.The new model number that I ordered yesterday is the GCH10A-4E I was told that the GCH10A-3E is know longer made wireing will be differant and I had to buy a new switch that I will have to install in the motorhome for the electric heating element.I will let everyone know how I make out next week when I get it and have it installed.Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 10-10-2007, 05:04 AM   #18
KIX
Winnebago Master

Glad it wasn't too hard. sometimes you just got to "get 'er done". Since your electrical wiring iws already there I hope the new one won't require you running additional wiring.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:30 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the follow up Ron. If not too much trouble, please let us know if the electric heater reset button is any easier to get at with the new water heater.

I think you're smart getting a brand new unit.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Hey Cruiser, we're still waiting for the new picture of the new bus. It's been a while. Never mind, I need new glasses.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote