Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hot water problem

I am having a problem with the hot water line. The heater is working ok but when I turn hot water faucets on I get nothing but I hear sound like it might be an anti siphon valve clicking. Appreciate Any info. Nick 2007 adventurer workhorse chassi. I don't really know much about irv2 so hope I am on right page. Thanks
1jeanick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Welcome to the forum.......
No chance the Bypass valve has been accidently turned to Bypass? I have also read in an older post that the interior hot water failed to deliver when an exterior shower or hot water tap with a manual switch was left charged.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

1Jeanick1, I can tell you exactly what the problem is, you have a check valve on the output side ( bottom ) of the water heater. I've had this problem a couple of times before. The clip on the valve gets loose and falls off then the valve it self blocks the line. I found that if you put a dab of epoxy on the end it don't come off as soon. I replaced 1 only to have to change it out 2 months later. Biggest thing is getting to it.
RAYDAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My check valve failed me when winterizing a year ago. I had to remove the water heater. A pain the first time.

Consider cutting the bottom panel and fabricating a cover plate to allow access to the back of the heater. I believe that you will have additional maintenance in the future. Send me a pm if you want additional info. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

MX08453, with our Brave I was able to climb in the compartment to change it out. With the Journey I know it's coming and dread it. I'll PM you when I figure out how?
RAYDAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I agree the check valve is your most likely culprit, Have seen it more than once. Remove it and replace with a quarter turn valve, make and laminate a hang tag for the bypass valve that reminds you of the 2nd valve (In case someone else (De)Winterizes for you).

Last couple I gave personal help to with this problem did a 2 step fix, First they gutted the valve (And tagged it, they used the dry method of winterizing so not a problem) then ... They upgraded the trailer,, BIG TIME. (nearly double the old trailer).
Old 11-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hi Nick. Welcome to the forum.
Can you please describe the circumstances of the prob. Are you hooked to city water or are you pumping water from your tank? Do the cold water taps work alright? Has the water system been recently winterized? Or have you recently filled your fresh water tank? More information will help us out.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

jeanick

I want thank everyone for there input on my problem. I like the replies. When my problem started was The last time I filled my tank. I have not winterized my unit for 2 years. All water hydrants work except hot water. I nave a job ahead of me. Thanks again . Nick
Old 11-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

In models with single valve winterization, Winnebago uses two check valves. One on the input and one on the output. It could be either one I think.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeanick1 View Post
I am having a problem with the hot water line. The heater is working ok but when I turn hot water faucets on I get nothing but I hear sound like it might be an anti siphon valve clicking. Appreciate Any info. Nick 2007 adventurer workhorse chassi. I don't really know much about irv2 so hope I am on right page. Thanks
Thanks everyone for your good advice. Majority had the same fix. Now too see what I can do to fix it. 1jeanick1
Old 11-26-2014, 06:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hi all. I called Winnebago tech and talked to Bill. He explained the whole thing. There is 2 check valves on the WH. Bottom cold and top Hot. On my 35a- there is a plate on the side of heater behind the slide. Left side of heater . I took the plate off and replaced hot check valve. About 45 minutes. Everything working fine now.
Thanks again for putting me in the right direction and hope this info helps someone else.
1jeanick1
Old 11-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
In models with single valve winterization, Winnebago uses two check valves. One on the input and one on the output. It could be either one I think.
Thanks Clay. You are exactly right.
1jeanick1
Old 11-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Failed check valve

I had one fail and after removing it, I removed the inside part and put it back in. Has been working just fine for 3 years now. Winnebago is about the only manufacturer using the check valves.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water