Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #1

House batteries

Hi everyone. I’m a newbie to MH’s and have a older unit a 1986 itasca rt31 - I was wondering what size batteries would be sufficient for the house bank - I have an Onan 6.5 genny any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Bob
Pullenpoynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
If you have the room, two 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries from somewhere like Costco should suffice.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #3

Not sure if there’s room the space is empty under the drivers and passenger seats. What size amperage would be sufficient to power this rig for an overnight or couple of days
Thanks
Old 10-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullenpoynt View Post
Not sure if there’s room the space is empty under the drivers and passenger seats. What size amperage would be sufficient to power this rig for an overnight or couple of days

Thanks

Overnight may be doable depending on what you are needing it to do? Couple of days will require something to recharge them after the first night.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #5

Batteries

Thanks but I do have a Jenny for a recharge - how much amperage do y’all think I’d need for an overnight to keep let’s say - a heater fan an refrigerator going all nite without killer said batteries
Old 10-06-2018, 07:42 AM   #6

A lot of coaches around that era used 2 12 volt group 27 batteries. They are rated around 100 ah each , so should be plenty for an overnight without discharging them too much.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks
I don't think you should put them under the driver and passenger seats. Batteries emit hydrogen gasses when being charged or discharged, and if something got across the terminals the battery would be discharging at a high rate, emitting more hydrogen gasses. Couple that with the spark produced when something accidentally shorts across the terminals, and you have a very dangerous situation. Batteries have exploded because of this, with battery acid splashing on everything, including people near the battery. The batteries should be in a compartment that is open to the outside and sealed off from the inside.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi everyone. I’m a newbie to MH’s and have a older unit a 1986 itasca rt31 - I was wondering what size batteries would be sufficient for the house bank - I have an Onan 6.5 genny any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Bob
Bob,
Our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the F-53 chassis and V-10, had two, Trojan T-105 Golf cart batteries for house batteries. We camped almost exclusively "Boon docking". A lot of desert stuff for sand dune running and later, a lot of Jeep playing around. And those two golf cart batteries would last easily through the night. We would do some TV and maybe some furnace stuff along with a shower or two (water pump running) with lights etc. So yes, we'd tax those batteries to the point that, in the morning, they'd read about 12.2 or so.

But, I used a single, 135 watt solar panel that I put out on a kick-stand to aim at the sun to put the juice back into them. Usually by noon, they were topped off and could receive no more charging. But, if it was a cloudy day, I'd run the gen for an hour or two to help bring them back up, for another nights use. They worked great. I now have (4) Costco, 6V golf cart batteries for our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brews Cruise View Post
I don't think you should put them under the driver and passenger seats. Batteries emit hydrogen gasses when being charged or discharged, and if something got across the terminals the battery would be discharging at a high rate, emitting more hydrogen gasses. Couple that with the spark produced when something accidentally shorts across the terminals, and you have a very dangerous situation. Batteries have exploded because of this, with battery acid splashing on everything, including people near the battery. The batteries should be in a compartment that is open to the outside and sealed off from the inside.

X2 yes don’t put them under the seat or even in the house.
Heater fan? That’s a lot current.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Bob,
Our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the F-53 chassis and V-10, had two, Trojan T-105 Golf cart batteries for house batteries. We camped almost exclusively "Boon docking". A lot of desert stuff for sand dune running and later, a lot of Jeep playing around. And those two golf cart batteries would last easily through the night. We would do some TV and maybe some furnace stuff along with a shower or two (water pump running) with lights etc. So yes, we'd tax those batteries to the point that, in the morning, they'd read about 12.2 or so.

But, I used a single, 135 watt solar panel that I put out on a kick-stand to aim at the sun to put the juice back into them. Usually by noon, they were topped off and could receive no more charging. But, if it was a cloudy day, I'd run the gen for an hour or two to help bring them back up, for another nights use. They worked great. I now have (4) Costco, 6V golf cart batteries for our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP.
Scott
Thanks Scott. And everyone else

My unit is designed to carry its house batteries under the driver and passenger seat in a little compartment with slides they vent to the outside around the flywheel trans joint.
Scott did you have a separate inverter for the solar setup or was it wired into your coach unit.
As that’s just the same game plan I have in mind - boondocking as much as possible.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks Scott. And everyone else

My unit is designed to carry its house batteries under the driver and passenger seat in a little compartment with slides they vent to the outside around the flywheel trans joint.
Scott did you have a separate inverter for the solar setup or was it wired into your coach unit.
As that’s just the same game plan I have in mind - boondocking as much as possible.

Thanks
Pullenpoynt,
The solar panel had its own charge controller. A Blue Sky 2000 if I recall. I really liked that panel. Like stated, I installed a kickstand on it that folded up so I could stowe that panel, inside a sewn cover, inside our bedroom closet. I had a 12V socket hardwired onto either side of the coach. If we parked in such a manor that the sun mostly arcked on the drivers side, then I'd plug in on that side. If the sun arked on the passengers side, well then I'd park that panel on that side.

At night, just before bed, I'd pre-aim that panel to get the most from the morning sun, right as that sun came up and would keep it at that point 'till about noon. Then, I'd re-aim it to take best advantage of the afternoon sun. It was rated at about 7 amps but, with direct sunlight in many cases, I was receiving about 9 amps for a couple of hours a day. It really kept those golf cart batteries (2) up just fine.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries