RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #1

How I remove cabinet interior paneling

I've run a lot of wires in the last 2 motorhomes, for lights, solar, and other stuff. And, it's time to explore this one for running some solar panel cabling.

The interior panels of most of the cabinets are eighth inch plywood over 1x lumber frames. The plywood is usually just stapled on with narrow inch long staples.

So, I made a paneling removal hook from an old recipro saw blade. I ground off part of the tang, heated up both the tang and the tip to soften them, and bent a 90 degree hook on each end.

Hook one of those under an edge and tug gently, and the panel should start to come free. The staples sometime pull through the panel. I don't mind because I usually screw the panel back in when I'm done for easy access the next time.

This panel is the left side of the cubby over the fridge.

At the top is the slide room lock switch, below that is the in/out switch, and barely visible below that is the Victron battery monitor.

Behind the panel to the right is the plenum for the refrigerator. I took that one off as well.

As in our old Suncruiser, in the Sunstar, my plan is to snake the solar cables under the fridge roof vent and then down the control panels wall under the stove and cabinets and up to the batteries.

Here's the front of that cabinet wall. You can see the Victron and the Xantrex control panel here. When the Renogy MPPT charge controller arrives later today, I'll see if I want to rearrange any of that.

Cabinet bottoms can be removed the same way. I removed the one over the bed to splice on to light wires, and above the kitchen TV to run more video and HDMI cables.

SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
SLOweather, great tip, thanks!

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:43 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Good idea - there's lots of space back there for wiring.

Have you ever found the correct stain to touch up that cherry color in your rig? I have the same color.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:36 AM   #4

I think I've mentioned my stain mix in a couple of threads here. I made some custom light fixtures of poplar for over the front seats, and a Z fold table for the doghouse, from birch.

What I used is a mix of Varathane Traditional Cherry and Black Cherry, about 5 to 1.

Play with that mix and see what you think. Keep notes and record whatever proportions work for your particular needs.

Home Depot has those colors in half-pint cans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Good idea - there's lots of space back there for wiring.

Have you ever found the correct stain to touch up that cherry color in your rig? I have the same color.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Slo -

Sometimes people say Varathane - a Home Depot product, and sometimes people say Valspar - a Lowes product.

So I got confused. Didn't know which I should buy.

Are the Black Cherry and Traditional Cherry the same for both brands?

Sorry for bugging ya!
Old 03-12-2019, 06:35 AM   #6

I'm no expert on the similarities or differences between Varathane and Valspar. Varathane is also sold by our local Ace Hardware, and they have a wider selection of colors and sizes than HD.

I used Varathane. I'm sure that you could come up with your own mix with Valspar, if that's all you have access to.

However, a quick search shows that Valspar doesn't have the same color names as Varathane, so you'd have to get creative.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Got it. I found the Varathane. Thank you for your time and expertise.
I am going to start mixing and testing tomorrow, staring with the 1 to 5 ratio.

MUCH appreciated.

Tags
interior, panel