Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Your 300hp Cummins is an ISB. You have an exhaust brake. No Journey ever came with an engine brake. You have to move up to the ISL to get an engine brake and the ISL was never a Journey option. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom - you are so right. DUH! It is an exhaust brake. Thanks for correcting me - I tend to need that sometimes.
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
I too keep my exhaust brake switched on all the time. I did, however, have CAT change the ECM programming to the 'Latch' mode, where I can now coast w/o the exhaust brake coming on by turning the cruise 'on', but not engaged. This way I can manage the use of the exhaust brake thru the cruise on/off switch. I can coast w/o the exhaust brake engaging (as stated above), or I can engage the exhaust brake by switching the cruise 'off' or by depressing the brake in either mode. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Somewhere around here I read a thread on the different "modes" that can be programmed.

What I want is something that operates like the "Brake Switch", where I can coast with foot off the gas, and engage the PAC and latch ON by tapping the brake. To shut down the PAC, hit the gas. I don't want the Cruise Control to effect this mode.

If CAT can't program this mode I guess I'll be calling Homer @ Brake Switch

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:36 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Jeff, the 'Latch' mode works exactly as you describe with the cruise control switch in the 'on' position. Note, it does not have to be engaged.

With the cruise control switch 'off' the engine brake will come on as you let off the accelerator.

I'm not sure I understand your concern regarding cruise affecting this mode.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:03 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I also had my ECU reprogrammed so that I can leave the ex.brake selected on, and it only comes "on" with the service brake application, and is released with a tap on the throttle. This allows me to coast down a slight hill, without turning the ex brake on and off constantly. For safety, I don't have to try and reach for the ex brake switch in a panic stop scenario, and not find it while watching the traffic in front of me, which I have experienced. I believe most Cummins or Cat dealers can do this, for a price, or there is a Gentleman whose name escapes me, who sells a black box unit to accomplish the same results.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Well, I would rather have it operate independently of the cruise control being on or off (I wonder if it works like this now?). No particular reason, it just seems like a convoluted way to control it since I already have a master swx on the dash. I'd like to have on/ off control on my foot only. But if it's free (or already there) I'll take it.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:26 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

I run with my Exhaust Brake on almost 100% of the time, and make use of Cruise Control most everywhere except local roads. I do not have Latch mode enabled. Just before my recent 8000mi trip around the country I had my CAT ECM reprogrammed to set 'Auto Retarder In Cruise'. This configures the Exhaust Brake to activate while the Cruise Control is active if the vehicle speed exceeds the set cruise speed by more than the specified amount (default 5mph). Once the speed decreases a bit to back within the range of the cruise setting the exhaust brake deactivates automatically. I found that this worked really well, both on the flat and in the mountains on both sides of the country.

On edit: Typo fix

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:55 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Jeff, I do not believe 'Latch' mode is standard. Your CAT dealer can reprogram it to Latch. Mine did it for free, but some may charge you. Should take about 10 minutes.

While you're at it, check your 'Auto Retard in Cruise' as cbeirel suggests. I believe mine was default 'on' but set at 7mph. I had them reprogram it to 5mph. Works as described above. Nice feature.

If you don't like the 'Latch' mode, you can then get the Brake Switch, which I believe is available to FMCA members for $75 + installation.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:40 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
Spartan has recommended NOT leaving your auxiliary brake on all the time, as the service brakes need to heat up to prevent glazing of the front brake shoes.

When applying the service brakes, the rear brakes activate first, followed by the front brakes. The front brakes get the least use and are most susceptible to glazing.

There have been cases where the front brake shoes have glazed, resulting in reduced braking capacity.

This is not covered under warranty, as it is operator caused.

I no longer leave my auxiliary brake on all the time.

At a Spartan seminar, it was asked if anyone had ever replaced their brakes. No one had, so the auxiliary brake was not needed 100% of the time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am a little late to this thread (as usual and another $ short... ) but here are my $.02.

I leave the Pac Brake switched on when on the freeway/interstate or high speed highways, on hills and at times around town in traffic. I don't worry about the cruise interferring and I will say it slows us down BIG TIME! You definately feel it and I have "cleared the counter" myself a few times when a traffic signal changed unexpectedly or I was cut off by an inattentive cage driver.

Pac Brake strongly recommends using their lubricant on the pivot points and I purchased it and use it per their recommendations. I had tried another brand previously but it burned off. The Pac Brake lube is designed for the temps. observed with TD's and as such will not burn off. It also doesn't wash off easily so one application should last quite a while.

I bought it from a diesel service center. It was about $6 for 4-6oz. Cheap insurance IMHO.

As for that tap-brake black box, I read the instructions on how to use it but my rapidly aging brain decided I (or the DW) might become confused. I'll have to re-visit that site and see if it is worth the trouble. Personally, I "hit the switch" if it is off and I need it and I rarely have to look for it. I may relocate the switch closer to the Eco-Cruise faceplate in the future.

BTW, when we purchased the DP and I was in the process of re-learning how to drive I "smelled" my service brakes a few times. After finding out how much the replacement parts are, I am using the EB more often than not now.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

How much is it to have one installed??
1999 winne ISB 5.9

Thanks
Don and Barb

https://irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #30
iRV2 Sponsor

The new PRXB system will give you 50% more braking over the original Pac Brake design.

Thanks,
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Pusherman - I'm glad you posted about the Latch Mode. I had mine changed to Latch about 1 1/2 years ago and always thought the cruise had to be "on" for the exhaust brake to come on during coasting and "off" if you don't want the exhaust brake to come on during coast. Here all this time I've been using it backwards. The things we learn from this forum.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #32
Winnebago Watcher

That's as much as you will feel with the exhaust brake. Our 05 Journey with the cat 350 is hardly noticeable even without a tow vehicle. Checking for exhaust brake interaction is best performed at some higher rpm such as 2,200-2,400 in third gear where it is used the most. With the throttle off and switching on and off, the exhaust brake has little if any effect during these conditions. Tests at Freightliner said that's all that I can expect from it.

Lower gears have more effect, but I need it more in third. What a waste of parts. If I ever trade I hope to find a motorhome with a Jake brake. It costs more but at least it provides the needed braking. My only other choice is to add an electric brake to the drive shaft.

Good luck
Dennis
Old 12-11-2008, 05:06 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

We had Rallys R US put a brake switch on our 1999 Chieftain DP and it works great. I really like being able to coast freely but have the exhaust brake ready to engage with a touch of the service brakes. No more flipping the dash switch on/off in traffic. I think the switch was about $80.
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote